collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Calling Cougars?  (Read 96700 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Calling Cougars?
« Reply #315 on: November 24, 2020, 10:15:19 PM »
Lol

All true 👍

I was just thinking about the last few bucks I called in and thought I coulda arrowd em

Although one I'm not sure one was far enough away for the arrow to leave the bow, would that be spearing?

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #316 on: November 24, 2020, 10:53:34 PM »
I did a set last week and Sunday I went back to the same area and a lion had followed my tracks back down the hill a ways. They looked fresher than my tracks by a day or so, hopefully I didn’t call it in and then educate it when I left. I’ve cut a ton of lion tracks this year though.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline Scruffy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #317 on: November 25, 2020, 05:00:11 AM »
Looking for some advise.  I just bought a FoxPro Shockwave for calling cougars.  Do you guys cold call much or mainly find some tracks first before calling.  I live in the foothills of western WA and we usually won't get snow until Christmas usually.  The area I am thinking of going has plenty of deer so I am thinking there must be some cats around.

Also for a set up from what I been reading it seems the cougars come to the call from the uphill side of the call.  I was thinking of sitting to the side of the call about 50ish yards away so I can see the up and down hill.  I am assuming a cougar most likely won't approach from the side of the same elevation as the call.  Am I correct in my thoughts of setting up?

I been reading Rain-Shadow's cougar stories and love them, will probably be buying the cougar call files shortly.
I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #318 on: November 26, 2020, 04:25:44 PM »
8.2 miles on my boots today and found tracks from 2 or 3 different cougars.  3 calling sessions, no response as far as i know.  Found a kill with lion tracks all around it, but it was in a terrible place for my purposes.  Tons of bobcat and yote and wabbit tracks everywhere, and some wolf tracks.  Very scarce on the deer and moose tracks.  Predator tracks outnumbered deer so bad, soon theyre just going to be stuck eating eachother to survive.

Offline Scruffy

• Hunter
« Reply #319 on: November 27, 2020, 09:58:19 AM »
Thanks for the reply Bango, the area I am interested in has deer but quite thick.  I was thinking of setting up on the dge of the thick stuff where I can see.  The thing against me there is no snow there to see track.  I can go to higher elevation where there is snow but not many deer up there.  Are cats more prevalent in higher or lower elevations or more on food supply?

I guess I will have to build experience by trial and error like how I learned to hunt deer.  Just thought I would ask some of you guys that have the knowledge.  Looking for tips not your area, I have plenty of area around my house.

Thanks
I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #320 on: November 27, 2020, 10:20:22 AM »
Seems the question was directed at me so disclaimer im not an expert.  If you want a bonified expert on cougar behavior maybe @wacoyotehunter can chime in, and @rainshadow really knows his stuff with calling. But ime lions can commonly be found up in the snow where deer are scarce for various reasons.  But as a good general rule more likely to find cats in areas with more cat food
  One cat i called in was up higher in deep snow where most of the deer hang out below.  Theres a draw that is above a deer wintering area and the cats seem to use that draw as a highway to go down and hunt deer.  Always tracks there and ive seen 3 cats there just by random accident.  So went up one time with a friend, set up with me as caller and him as shooter, and 30 minutes in he killed a cat.

As far as your plan to set up where you can see, i think cats are more sneaky and patient than we are, so if youre set up where you can see 100 or 200 yards, i feel youre tipping the odds in the cats favor.  They could sneak in super slow and easy and you wont even see them, but theyll pick you out and be gone.  Better to set up so they cant see you until theyre right on top of you, to increase the odds that youll see them before they bust you, if that makes sense.  These are just my personal thoughts on it, others may disagree.  More than one way to skin a cat for sure.

Offline Scruffy

• Hunter
« Reply #321 on: November 27, 2020, 05:18:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply Bango, you may think your not an expert but you know way more than me about cats.  I find that interesting how you seen 3 cats using the same draw as a highway.  Other than a mom and youngins I thought they ran others off.  So basically looking for one cat in 50 to 100 sq miles would be like finding the needle in a haystack.

I have been hunting in WA for 30 yrs and never seen a cougar in the wild  but really wasn't looking either so I am all ears.  The area where the deer hang out is so thick, you can only see about 20 yds at the good spots.  That's why I was thinking of setting up on the edges of it.  It is still treed but just not so thick.  I am looking forward to the adrenaline rush when I see the first one.  Good luck hunting. 👍

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #322 on: November 27, 2020, 05:24:57 PM »
The 1 cat in 50-100 sq miles is nonsense.  Females territories overlap.  They tolerate eachother.  Especially related females.    You can have several adult females using the same area, maybe some of their juveniles hanging around just striking out on their own, a boss tom, maybe some younger intruding tom, who knows what may be passing through.  Even big males territories will overlap to some extent.  I had 3 different adult lions in my backyard the same day not long ago.  A 10 yr old collared female, a 4 year old collared male and another uncollared adult of unknown age or sex.

Offline Scruffy

• Hunter
« Reply #323 on: November 27, 2020, 06:42:13 PM »
Several cats, interesting.  How long do you call at a sitting?  From stories I've read seems most limit the calling to about an hour.  Is there a reason to this or is it person preference?
Do you notice if the come from uphill of you and the call more than from the down hill or lateral?

Open to hear others thoughts as well so Bango doesn't get tired of my questions 😁 I appreciate the replies.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #324 on: November 27, 2020, 06:45:23 PM »
Only called in a couple myself but theyve come from downhill.  One slightly downhill, another from a steep downhill angle.  Never called in anything past 30 minutes but if im in a spot that feels good ill go 45 or so.  My thought is that available sneaking cover matters more than uphill / downhill.

Offline ne kid

• Scout
« Reply #325 on: November 27, 2020, 07:33:43 PM »
We've killed 5 cats on my property in 1 year,and there is one more hanging around. I'm thinking more like a cat every 100 yards.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #326 on: November 27, 2020, 10:16:51 PM »
Well ya, you raise bait lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Scruffy

• Hunter
« Reply #327 on: November 28, 2020, 12:46:29 AM »
I àm surprised we don't have more cat encounter by me.  A lot of people including me have livestock.  Although this past Aug a new born horse was killed and the cat tried dragging it through the fence.  Cat go away empty hamded.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #328 on: December 06, 2020, 01:06:18 PM »
Most of my call ins the cat was above me or level. Only one came from below.  Could just be how I like to setup.  I like to let the cat be the hunter and put the odds in it’s favor.  Im just pretending to be an easy meal or another cat and want the cat to feel confident on its approach.  I’ve had many call ins, shot 4 and recovered 1.  2 made it to private land which no access allowed 😥 and one I lost the blood and tracks in heavy snow storm.   Also why I won’t use my ar anymore for cat. 
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #329 on: December 17, 2020, 05:26:40 AM »
For those that might be interested 6 measured inches of  new powder in Winthrop last night for following cat tracks, bring your snowshoes.
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg