collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wolves on Bethel  (Read 8858 times)

Offline HoofsandWings

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • RETIRED
Wolves on Bethel
« on: October 29, 2019, 07:33:47 AM »
Have any of you seen wolves in the Bethel unit?
Opening day, I got too close to a wolf's kill along Oak Creek and a wolf growled at me. Other people had seen wolves further up the creek. I saw tracks on the hillside above the 1400 road.
Long story short, none of the hunters I talked to saw any elk in the area. However, at higher elevations, hunters were seeing elk.
Gathering is easy. Hunting is a challenge.
WSF, WCA, RMEF, Rooster Booster, NWTF, NRA

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
Re: Wolves on Bethel
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 08:17:27 AM »
no elk because of wolves or whitefoots ?
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 08:56:01 AM »
Have any of you seen wolves in the Bethel unit?
Opening day, I got too close to a wolf's kill along Oak Creek and a wolf growled at me. Other people had seen wolves further up the creek. I saw tracks on the hillside above the 1400 road.
Long story short, none of the hunters I talked to saw any elk in the area. However, at higher elevations, hunters were seeing elk.

Ive tracked them, but havent seen them

Offline MarkTrail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
  • Groups: Rmef,NRA,mdf
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 10:14:30 AM »
Coach, I spilled my coffee when I read that response. Not all get it but that was spot on!!!

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 10:18:20 AM »
Im 20 min from bethel and have recreated in the area my whole life. In the last two years alone between my bull tag and JonathanS's bull tag I've spent EASILY 100 days in Bethel and every bit of 30 nights.  There is elk EVERYWHERE in that unit and I have yet to see or hear any signs of wolves. Not saying it's not possible but I'm extremely skeptical of all the reported wolf sightings  :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 10:20:35 AM »
I'd also point out that I've run across dozens and dozens of trail cams in that unit. Endless elk pics but nobody gets wolf pics :dunno: doesnt quite add up.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline MarkTrail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
  • Groups: Rmef,NRA,mdf
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 10:39:45 AM »
The chances of a wolf or 2 traveling through the area is high. The chances of a pack right now is low.

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 11:21:45 AM »
Im 20 min from bethel and have recreated in the area my whole life. In the last two years alone between my bull tag and JonathanS's bull tag I've spent EASILY 100 days in Bethel and every bit of 30 nights.  There is elk EVERYWHERE in that unit and I have yet to see or hear any signs of wolves. Not saying it's not possible but I'm extremely skeptical of all the reported wolf sightings  :twocents:

Karl,
Since you are that close would you please fix the timing on the traffic signal between Naches and Yakima.
I'm sick and tired of getting stopped at it.
Thanks for your continued support.

Offline Whitefoot

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 11:50:26 AM »
I seen a pack up there last year.  Several solos too.
Cayusm

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 11:51:51 AM »

Karl,
Since you are that close would you please fix the timing on the traffic signal between Naches and Yakima.
I'm sick and tired of getting stopped at it.
Thanks for your continued support.
Naches put that light in to make themselves feel like a real town  :chuckle:

Offline nitroelk

• Scout
  • Groups: R.M.E.F.
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 11:59:04 AM »
My parents had something cross the road in front of them that "wasn't no coyote" is what they said????

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 12:13:18 PM »

In 2017 I spotted two wolves in the Nile 352 GMU and found fresh wolf tracks in the snow in the Bumping unit. Other people hunting 352 also spotted wolves.

Offline 2MANY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 12:40:23 PM »
AND.............................
They are just over the west side of the PCT from there.

I'm not directing this at anyone here but I get a big kick out of some people's denial.
The growth across the west has been nothing but epic and swift.
A real success story for those that saw fit to release them.
Soon WA folks will accept and never question the wolves continued range growth.
They are here to stay.

On a positive note it will only be 15 years until the depredation cycle evens out so in the big picture it's a pretty short window of time.
Pathetic.

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 01:09:39 PM »
I'd also point out that I've run across dozens and dozens of trail cams in that unit. Endless elk pics but nobody gets wolf pics :dunno: doesnt quite add up.

One area that i have very heavy cam coverage is regularly frequented by wolves, i know for a 100% fact.  Only ever had 1 on cam there.  Also, at one point i had 10 cams up on my 21 acre property, which i would call pretty heavy coverage.  Had a wolf go by 1 cam of the 10, and another time i followed wolf tracks in the snow all the way through my property and they missed all 10 cams.  Ive heard them howling from my house multiple times, and even had a helicopter chasing them through my place multiple times, but only ever got 1 pic of a single wolf here at home.  Also, of those dozens of cams youve run across, how do you know none of them are getting wolf pics? Not everybody posts stuff like that on social media.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2019, 01:20:12 PM »
Peaches has a heavy wolf presence now.   If Bethel doesnt have wolves it will shortly.  Apparantly they are in the Wenas now and this side of the Observatory.  That'll fix the sheep pneumonia worries on Clemans in short order. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal