collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is Eastern Washington Elk Hunting dying?  (Read 30909 times)

Online 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
Re: Is Eastern Washington Elk Hunting dying?
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2019, 02:43:10 PM »
Can i ask a hopefully not too derailing question?

Are things to the point where people who usually hunt E. WA for elk are now opting to hunt W. WA elk? Or are the east siders just planning on going to Idaho?

Speaking for myself here. I live in Puget Sound, always hunted east side elk, and now would rather go to Idaho than hunt locally. I think west side elk hunting can actually be pretty good if you have time to scout and pattern, but I don’t like hunting in a rain forest.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2019, 02:49:09 PM »
I went to Montana this year thinking it would be better.  I was surrounded by hunters, I was shocked.  I came back here and saw more elk in 4 hours in the woods here than I did in 9 days there.  I am sure the learning curve is steep in a new area and hopefully with time I will find more elk in Montana.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline stlusn30-06

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Wildlife Committee of Washington, BHA
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2019, 03:00:26 PM »
Just doing some quick internet research:

1.) Hoof disease has taken a heavy toll over the last decade
2.) Winter of 2016 took out 30-35% of the St. Helens heard. Assume winter 2016 had impact on most of the eastside heards
3.) Natives take ~8% of the annual deer and elk harvest state wide. According to facts, they are not out slaughtering entire heards as other have indicated.
4.) Increased predator pressure is impacting elk numbers, and maybe more importantly, changing heard behavior. They are moving into heavier cover, more remote, and rugged country.
5.) While some areas are hurting, others are complaining about how big the Colockum herd is and how much damage it is causing.

Montana and Idaho have more wolves, bears, and around as many cats as Washington. Their Elk/deer pops are doing alright. It's fairly consistent on here that the same people that hate the idea of predators talk of going to hunt states with larger predator populations. Just an observation. It's ironic.
Thanks for that, although I think the wolves in Idaho (panhandle) are destroying game herds they worked 50 years to restore

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment wasn't that Wolves weren't having an impact on game populations, or even that Idaho Fish & Wildlife aren't looking to drop those numbers and use hunting as a solid management tool to do so. It was that for all the talk here, we always look east to Idaho and Montana for the better hunting. Which it is, and it is with higher predator numbers. There is a consistent trend as predators have expanded about how they're going to ruin and kill off all the game, yet in places where they are established the hunting is still solid. I'm not saying it won't have an impact, it obviously will. They are going to kill lots of ungulates. What I'm getting at is that for all the freaking out, there isn't one state where they have reestablished that has had their entire game pops destroyed, which seems to be the way we lean here. There is obviously something seriously wrong in WA. Deer and Elk pops are dropping. Others have pointed to habitat loss, disease, fires etc... These things have been shown in real life to destroy pop numbers over night. If we were all as fired up about slowing development or funding disease research as we are about stopping wolves, we might make some headway. I might be way wrong, cuz I don't feel like internet sleuthing for more numbers right now. If someone can point me to research that shows where a state's hunting was devastated by wolf reintroduction, I'm all ears and will change my opinion in a heart beat. This guy asked what was going on in Eastern Wa. I just laid a few things out that aren't hearsay.
“There are people in my life who sometimes worry about me when I go off into the fields and streams, not realizing that the country is a calm, gracious, forgiving place and that the real dangers are found in the civilization you have to pass through to get there." - Gierach

Offline borntoslay

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2019, 03:04:28 PM »
Amen to that, wasnt trying to get off the thread topic. This stuff gets me fired up

(  .  )(  .  )

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2019, 03:13:11 PM »

Are things to the point where people who usually hunt E. WA for elk are now opting to hunt W. WA elk? Or are the east siders just planning on going to Idaho?

Speaking for myself here. I live in Puget Sound, always hunted east side elk, and now would rather go to Idaho than hunt locally. I think west side elk hunting can actually be pretty good if you have time to scout and pattern, but I don’t like hunting in a rain forest.

I do/will still hunt e wa elk but only for archery. You couldn't pay me to go out for modern unless it was with a permit in my pocket.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2019, 03:59:26 PM »
The Yakima area elk hunting is hopeless in my opinion, due to a certain group of people who are allowed to kill an unlimited number of bull elk year around, AND an unlimited number of cow elk from September 1 to December 31. Yes, you read that right. YEAR AROUND SEASON AND NO LIMITS.

You must be talking about white poachers, cause they are in fact killing way more than the indians. Spoke to a local gamey in yakima, they busted a whole bunch of them white poachers this year, and had only 1 interaction with indians when I spoke to them.
I don’t believe that for a second, how many non natives are poaching in the ytc ?  One native has at least 6 bull kills in that unit alone!  Respectfully disagree
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2019, 04:07:56 PM »
Couple bad winters and suddenly the sky is falling . I'm with the guy that said control what you can.  The wdfw sucks but there jobs suck, they get blamed for everything . Doesnt matter if they do good, they are always the biggest scapegoat. I'd blame winters and predators more then racist propaganda.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2019, 04:11:53 PM »
Couple bad winters and suddenly the sky is falling . I'm with the guy that said control what you can.  The wdfw sucks but there jobs suck, they get blamed for everything . Doesnt matter if they do good, they are always the biggest scapegoat. I'd blame winters and predators more then racist propaganda.
racist propaganda? Now your sounding like a lefty? Just because some of us disagree with the treaty makes us a racist, smh
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2019, 04:14:17 PM »
There's elk in them woods...I've seen it with my own eyes..

Weird thing is when someone is chasing you with a weapon you tend to hide really good...

Numbers may be down a little but it's a cycle...always happens... :twocents:

Carry on.

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2019, 04:18:56 PM »
Just doing some quick internet research:

1.) Hoof disease has taken a heavy toll over the last decade
2.) Winter of 2016 took out 30-35% of the St. Helens heard. Assume winter 2016 had impact on most of the eastside heards
3.) Natives take ~8% of the annual deer and elk harvest state wide. According to facts, they are not out slaughtering entire heards as other have indicated.
4.) Increased predator pressure is impacting elk numbers, and maybe more importantly, changing heard behavior. They are moving into heavier cover, more remote, and rugged country.
5.) While some areas are hurting, others are complaining about how big the Colockum herd is and how much damage it is causing.

Montana and Idaho have more wolves, bears, and around as many cats as Washington. Their Elk/deer pops are doing alright. It's fairly consistent on here that the same people that hate the idea of predators talk of going to hunt states with larger predator populations. Just an observation. It's ironic.
Thanks for that, although I think the wolves in Idaho (panhandle) are destroying game herds they worked 50 years to restore

and that's with open wolf season

:yeah: correct with a year round open season on wolves(private land) and a liberal trapping season. I think its helping the elk with the wolf seasons but still no where like it was before wolves . NO WAY Idaho has even as many cats and bears as Washington, to suggest we have more cats and bears is crazy

Offline Scheindogg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2019, 05:18:29 PM »

I have a friend who hinted and applied for tags for elk for 15+ years and got tired of not getting drawn (Among many other things) and has officially stopped hunting WA and makes the trek from W WA to Idaho each year.
This was his first year doing solely Idaho and he already got a nice whitetail buck to show for it  :dunno:
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me -Phillipians 4:13

Online steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2019, 05:44:39 PM »
WDFW now manage the elk for other user groups to shoot big bulls in Eastern Washington. I have quit hunting East side and now hunt West side of Washington and Montana.
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2019, 05:52:56 PM »
The number of cow permits in 2016 and before had a huge influence of where we are now.

And the years before 2016 the cow tag numbers were even higher. Manastash, Umtanum, etc were all 400 tags.

Offline bigdub257

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF;Ducks Unlimited
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2019, 05:57:48 PM »
Have hunted the same area for over 20 years.  This was the last time.  Most of the other camps have disappeared and moved on over the last 5 years or so.  Basically a ghost town.  Very few sightings of elk or deer in areas that used to be very productive.  This is in an area where I've witnessed the slaughter of deer and elk many times during the various seasons.  It's a cycle alright...downward and straight into the crapper and I don't believe it has anything to do with the weather. 

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2019, 07:15:49 PM »
Tag
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY