collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is Eastern Washington Elk Hunting dying?  (Read 30929 times)

Offline buglebrush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Is Eastern Washington Elk Hunting dying?
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2020, 11:37:23 AM »
We also need more logging and forest fires. I've said it a million times, its easiest to just blame predation but loss of USABLE habitat is a pandemic across the west. Just because a forest hasn't been turned into condo's doesn't mean it hasn't been lost as productive habitat :twocents:

I'm all about more logging, but there's unbelievable amounts of prime elk habitat that contains no elk in the NE corner.  10-15 years ago areas were full of elk, but are now barren in the NE Corner.  Up here, it's really about the predators.  However, more logging would help a lot too.  Logging creates so much winter forage. 

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2020, 12:52:07 PM »
I didn't read the whole thread but I start to wonder why anyone gets fired up about it.  The OP stated,

How do we as the shepherds of Big Game in WA resuscitate it?

What makes us think we have any say?  I don't think we do and I think it's foolish to believe they look to listen.  It seems clear to me that all of this ends up just being passionate noise.  In the end, I don't think any of it matters.  WDFW is going to do what they're going to do and we can all just decide to take a bite or not.   :twocents:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2020, 01:29:03 PM »
I just read the new proposals for this years special permit numbers and it is making me sick.  I was lucky enough to be one of the 6 Dayton Quality modern rifle hunters this last October/November.  After calling the regional game biologist for the state I was worried when he told me that the Dayton area was in terrible shape with a 50% elk reduction in just the last two years.  I hunted long and hard and consider myself lucky to have shot a 5x5 bull after many days of hunting.  The biggest problem that I saw was the lack of calves.  I am not exaggerating when I say that I saw somewhere around 45-55 cow elk during my hunt in various spots in the Dayton unit during my hunt.  The cows I saw were healthy and in great shape.  But NONE of them had a calf with them!  Not even one!  On top of that, I figure that there was only one spike shot in the entire unit during the modern rifle season.  I was in and out of many camps in just about all of the areas of the unit and the only spike shot was over on Newby Ridge way out in the middle of no-mans land.  This was due to the previous year having a nearly zero calf survival rate also.  Another year or two of no calf survival and the final outcome will be nothing but devastating.  Hopefully the semi-mild winter we have had this year will help reverse this issue.  I see that the quality permits have been doubly reduced again this year and set at 3 instead of 6 like last year.  In the past, this unit usually has given out approximately 15 or so permits.  I also saw that the rest of the Blues permits have been slashed this year also.
Zonk Volmer

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2020, 01:50:11 PM »
We also need more logging and forest fires. I've said it a million times, its easiest to just blame predation but loss of USABLE habitat is a pandemic across the west. Just because a forest hasn't been turned into condo's doesn't mean it hasn't been lost as productive habitat :twocents:

I'm all about more logging, but there's unbelievable amounts of prime elk habitat that contains no elk in the NE corner.  10-15 years ago areas were full of elk, but are now barren in the NE Corner.  Up here, it's really about the predators.  However, more logging would help a lot too.  Logging creates so much winter forage. 

Appears that fires and logging have both picked up in last couple of years in NE .  Habitat should follow.  Control predators and we might have something.
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2020, 06:03:49 PM »
Add 3+ Wolf Packs in that little area 24/7/365 on top of growing bear and cougar population and elk have zero chance to recover.  One pack would be plenty - 3 is elimination of a species.   Elk in the Blues are soon to be extinct in the next 10 years.   

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2020, 08:23:59 PM »

Appears that fires and logging have both picked up in last couple of years in NE .  Habitat should follow.  Control predators and we might have something.

Logging and fires are good at creating feed. But there is a line at which It can be a detriment too. In snow country a good tree canopy keeps the the depth of the snow down and makes it easier for animals to find food and to travel. The best scenario is an age varied forest with openings for new growth and a good canopy for heavy snowfall and  all stages in between.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2020, 09:57:51 PM »
Add 3+ Wolf Packs in that little area 24/7/365 on top of growing bear and cougar population and elk have zero chance to recover.  One pack would be plenty - 3 is elimination of a species.   Elk in the Blues are soon to be extinct in the next 10 years.   
There’s more than wolves hunting em 24/7
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2020, 10:12:30 PM »
hunters who are not familiar with NE WA an how many bears there are its staggering. Its unbelievable how many we get on cams. Throw on top an exploding cat population and now wolves the ungulates really have no chance. Last year I saw around 20 does in August where I bear hunt and 1 fawn! my trail cams in 101 had 2 fawns for 10 does! and my house in 127 we have 5 does is all in the area and all had fawns and none survived! 

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2020, 10:17:14 PM »
hunters who are not familiar with NE WA an how many bears there are its staggering. Its unbelievable how many we get on cams. Throw on top an exploding cat population and now wolves the ungulates really have no chance. Last year I saw around 20 does in August where I bear hunt and 1 fawn! my trail cams in 101 had 2 fawns for 10 does! and my house in 127 we have 5 does is all in the area and all had fawns and none survived!

:yeah:
Really is hopeless unless WDFW pulls it's head out of the sand.  Even with Idaho type predator management it may be too little, too late.   :bash:

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2020, 10:25:24 PM »
really unbelievable to see whats happened to units I use to hunt in 101 and 105 the whitetails are almost gone in many areas in the mountains. It was just 6 to 7 years ago you could throw out some bait and a cam and get lots of deer, several mature bucks. Now some of the same spots are void of deer. 20 years ago you would see mule deer in these spots, now its a miracle to see one. Our whitetail spots in 101 Id venture to guess 60-70% decline in deer in last 6 years.

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2020, 10:38:38 PM »
Elk in the Blues are soon to be extinct in the next 10 years.   
That's a bold prediction.  I have a hard time seeing it come to fruition, but the Blues have definitely taken some big hits recently. 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2020, 05:52:48 AM »
There’s more than wolves hunting em 24/7
:yeah:  and there’s the elephant in the room...
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2020, 06:04:15 AM »
Wouldn't it be more far to say predators, poachers, and tribal insane harvest numbers are put huge dents in it ?

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2020, 06:24:06 AM »
Wouldn't it be more far to say predators, poachers, and tribal insane harvest numbers are put huge dents in it ?
Yes, in fact, that's exactly what to say.  But I'd put tribal insane harvest over poachers.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline hughjorgan

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2020, 08:00:33 AM »
Yes, in fact, that's exactly what to say.  But I'd put tribal insane harvest over poachers.

Not to be a buzzkill but I bet more deer and elk are killed by vehicles than by the tribe yearly to put that into perspective...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal