collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is Eastern Washington Elk Hunting dying?  (Read 30908 times)

Offline UncleT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Is Eastern Washington Elk Hunting dying?
« on: November 07, 2019, 10:44:12 AM »
Is Eastern Washington Elk Hunting dying? Should it be with all the money spent by hunters?  Recognizing that the number of hunters seems to be falling each year.  Likelihood of success weighs heavily on that. How do we as the shepherds of Big Game in WA resuscitate it? Not saying no one gets elk East. But I feel that numbers and opportunities are WAY down!

Got home Monday night from 11 days. Bald Mountain Canteen Flats.  NO and I mean NO elk. Even the few tracks found were from before the freeze blast and snow drop.  Essentially nothing after that.
Many big camps did not show, likely due to fire and pass closures as well, but also slow previous years. Several other camps that usually stay all season left early empty handed. Very LITTLE shooting.  Scarily quiet! Same Little Naches Drainage. Same Ravens Roost. Same Bethel. Maybe I am missing something. But we broke up and visited all of these areas and talked to those we encountered.  From our ridge top we can hear shots from all over the area. Across 410, down the valley on both sides.

Only a few spikes taken in my general area the whole season, that I know of? One early big bull by accident.  EVERYONE I talked to, and I talked to a lot including Game Dept, was disappointed.

One encounter commented he saw more game in one day in Montana than he has seen here in 5 years.
Didn't clarify if he meant 5 days but it was said pretty strongly.  One from Idaho said virtually the same thing?

Two major fires in three years in this area. Then Game Dept controlled burns even during hunting season both times.
Road grading and surface rolling throughout both sides of the Rock Creek Drainage. Scheduled during the middle of the hunting season?
One controlled burn was in preparation of a Fish Habitat Study ​and smoke blew up the hill through hunting areas and two​ camps.
...... on a mostly dry creek?????

​"Game Department encounter" agreed that there was poor reporting throughout the Clockum, Wena, Oak Creek areas?  And he expected "No improvement"?

I will be doing some research for Clockum, Wenas and Oak Creek-
    1. When can animals be expected return to a burn area?
    2. Total area included in these 3 areas and estimated number of herd.
        3 point of better bulls.
        Cows.
        Spikes.
        3 point or better Mule and Black Tail bucks
        Does.
    3.   Elk recorded success.  Last 5 years?
    4.   Deer recorded Success.   Last 5 years?
    5.   Actual Local Tribe Treaty language.
    6.   Actual disbursement of License and hunting related funds? Not just what many keep repeating.
    7.   Success expectation of white tails in North eastern area?

Then research comparable states for same area and or animal density and hunt successes.
Also Treaty language and how other states handle it.

Lastly I guess I may open a Facebook page and see if I can get hunter input.
I will include WDFW as well, so they can comment if they care too.
Understanding how this type of thing normally turns out, if I get any sort of a picture I will take this
to the Game department and see what turns.  We all know one voice and no data carries no water. So I am reaching out to the hunting community for input and maybe some help.
I want to research, interview and present "our" findings and seek realistic ideas for improvement.

(Feels like a term paper)  Any one want to help and take a bite, let me know.

For now, share this with those you think would like to provide serious comment and send those comments to
Wa.meateater@yahoo.com.

Please. No rant about "hunting West".  That is not the point here.  Thanks.

Out for now.

Tony

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Is Eastern Washington Elk Hunting dying?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 10:54:15 AM »
I think like all things it goes in cycles.  The deck is stacked poorly right now and I am not sure where we go from here.

Options that I have thought of are a system where if you are born on an odd year you hunt elk odd years and deer even years.  Buddy up with a partner born on an even year and you can hunt as a team, one hunts elk that year while the other hunts deer and vice versa.  That would lower harvest and decrease opportunity but if you buddied up you would still kind of be out there hunting every year.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 11:00:53 AM »
The Yakima area elk hunting is hopeless in my opinion, due to a certain group of people who are allowed to kill an unlimited number of bull elk year around, AND an unlimited number of cow elk from September 1 to December 31. Yes, you read that right. YEAR AROUND SEASON AND NO LIMITS.

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 11:02:25 AM »
I seen hundreds of elk in some of the locations the OP stated. I seen spikes, even helped harvest one.  In 9 days I called in over 10 big bulls ( simply soft cow calls)
Could of filled a cow tag anytime any day.   

Most people believe the elk are 15 miles deep into the wilderness, when in fact they are right under your nose. 

The elk herds are in my opinion doing great!

Way fewer elk hunters this year, it was awesome. 
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline rtspring

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 11:06:22 AM »
The Yakima area elk hunting is hopeless in my opinion, due to a certain group of people who are allowed to kill an unlimited number of bull elk year around, AND an unlimited number of cow elk from September 1 to December 31. Yes, you read that right. YEAR AROUND SEASON AND NO LIMITS.

You must be talking about white poachers, cause they are in fact killing way more than the indians. Spoke to a local gamey in yakima, they busted a whole bunch of them white poachers this year, and had only 1 interaction with indians when I spoke to them.
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

The Whiners suck!!

Offline treeclimber2852

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 11:07:45 AM »
I hunt late archery over there in the Nile unit.  The elk are there.  I was over there checking cameras yesterday and bumped a big bull walking into one of my spots.  This picture was taken within the last two weeks at another spot. 

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 11:19:55 AM »

You must be talking about white poachers, cause they are in fact killing way more than the indians. Spoke to a local gamey in yakima, they busted a whole bunch of them white poachers this year, and had only 1 interaction with indians when I spoke to them.

Why would they bother interacting with the indians when they can do what they want?  Just because the game wardens arent contacting them in the field doesnt mean theyre not killing as many or more elk than white poachers, it just means wardens arent wasting their time dealing with them when there is nothing they can do about it.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 11:31:21 AM »
I was given some great advice 25 years ago.

"Don't let what you can't do get in the way of what you can do."

There are many factors that go into managing the resource.  Tribal harvest is one.  We don't have any control over that.  There is a long list of other factors that can be addressed.  Once all of those are handled we can turn our attention to the one item that can't be controlled.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline rtspring

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 11:37:06 AM »

Why would they bother interacting with the indians when they can do what they want?  Just because the game wardens arent contacting them in the field doesnt mean theyre not killing as many or more elk than white poachers, it just means wardens arent wasting their time dealing with them when there is nothing they can do about it.

They still make (contact) with anyone hunting..  ask the gamey. 

The Whiners suck!!

Offline Mfowl

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 11:47:27 AM »
One observation I had from early archery season right in the mix where the OP stated was a lack of calves. Over a few days I was close to two bands of cows totalling around 12, there was only one calf. That was the only calf I saw all season.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline 2MANY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 11:59:54 AM »
Anyone that thinks elk hunting is getting better didn't hunt 40 years ago.

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 12:02:23 PM »
 :yeah: or even twenty.

Offline timberfaller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 12:08:02 PM »
Anyone that thinks elk hunting is getting better didn't hunt 40 years ago.

Ya that too! :tup:

There was a nice herd getting established in the Methow back in the early 80's, hummmmmm wonder what happened to them all??? :bash:
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 12:08:17 PM »
One observation I had from early archery season right in the mix where the OP stated was a lack of calves. Over a few days I was close to two bands of cows totalling around 12, there was only one calf. That was the only calf I saw all season.
Bingo! Calf recruitment is a big issue, and lots of cats equals low recruitment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 12:15:37 PM »
This not only applies to Elk.  It is all of hunting and most of recreational fishing dying in this State. 

Too many people and urban sprawl (not talking I5 look at the Spokcomton Valley, the West Plains, The TriCites, Moses Hole..plastic house after plastic house. 

Poor science or not at all with very poor leadership since the 1980's at WDFW.

To many Cats, bears due to I5 corridor law passage and wolves.

Ignore science, over populate predators and double the human population and any game species will suffer. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]