collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Smoked Backstrap?  (Read 4356 times)

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
Smoked Backstrap?
« on: November 07, 2019, 12:31:09 PM »
Well now that I have finally gotten my 1st job done and have elk in the freezer it is time to start enjoying it! 

I am wondering if anyone has done a low-n-slow smoked backstrap?  Most recipies I am seeing seeing are higher temps, 275*+ or grilled.  From the few times I have had it, it is so tender maybe low n slow is not needed to make it tender like other meats?  I am just wondering about getting some smoke flavor into it to accent the flavor.

Any specific wood anyone has tried?  Red meats usually can handle strong wood flavors, but I do not want to overpower the natural flavor.  maybe cherry&apple?

The one way I have had it is in roast form, Montreal steak seasoning, then high temp sear in cast iron skillet a few min on each side.  It was heavenly.  hoping to add some smoke then quick sear all sides.

I am not one of those touch a steak and know it is done type, never could get it right doing it that way, I always use a thermometer.  What is a good finish temp on backstrap?  I am seeing 130-150, so similar for beef, but what do you folks find is the sweet spot?  I know my family does not like rare/"bloody", but solid pink should be perfect.

Offline Practical Approach

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Smoked Backstrap?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 12:35:35 PM »
I haven't smoked back strap, but I have smoked marinated deer steaks while smoking something else.  I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but it was great.  It did not take too long to cook, so you really have to watch it close if you like your steak less than medium.  It didn't take long to get the smokey flavor which was all I was after.

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 01:12:02 PM »
You'll want to be careful because there is no fat like the typical meat that you smoke.  Brisket, ribs, pork butt, etc. all have a lot of fat and are smoked until well done. 

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 01:15:53 PM »
You'll want to be careful because there is no fat like the typical meat that you smoke.  Brisket, ribs, pork butt, etc. all have a lot of fat and are smoked until well done.
That was my other concern.  I should probably do a reverse sear like I do a steak.  45min-1hr smoke then high temp sear to finish.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 01:17:40 PM »
My thought.....week long pastrami brine tgen smoke with pecan until done throughout....vac pac and seal for 24 hours, slice and eat with cheese, cold beer, maybe some picke slices.

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 01:22:08 PM »
If you want the smoke flavor maybe you can do a short smoke and then cook that backstrap on the grill. Not sure I would want to risk drying out the best cut of meat that you will get off an elk by smoking it.

Offline gallion_t

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 01:55:31 PM »
Haventbdone backstrap, but have done tenderloin. I just did salt and pepper, smoked with hickory at 155* until the internal temp was 130*. That takes about 3 hours. I then did a quick pan search (only because I rant out of propane). Turns out fantastic. You get an even cook throughout and it picks up the smoke flavor really well. I wouldn't want to do a real long smoke though.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 02:05:03 PM »
Haventbdone backstrap, but have done tenderloin. I just did salt and pepper, smoked with hickory at 155* until the internal temp was 130*. That takes about 3 hours. I then did a quick pan search (only because I rant out of propane). Turns out fantastic. You get an even cook throughout and it picks up the smoke flavor really well. I wouldn't want to do a real long smoke though.
Def not a long smoke, does not take long for meat to pickup smoke flavor and as mentioned I would not want to dry it out.  You did a reverse sear type cook, which is what I do with my steaks and am thinking of doing with this backstrap.

Offline B4noon

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 02:23:34 PM »
Only way I do it now leave blackstrap whole wrap in bacon smoke on Traeger for an hour then turn up heat until internal temp is 129 can paint up with bbq sauce the last 10 minutes if desired

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 02:32:33 PM »
Only way I do it now leave blackstrap whole wrap in bacon smoke on Traeger for an hour then turn up heat until internal temp is 129 can paint up with bbq sauce the last 10 minutes if desired
Do you put any rub on/under the bacon?  Set the traeger to max temp for finish I take it?

Offline B4noon

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 02:44:32 PM »
Usually a little Montreal steak under the bacon and yes after smoke crank traegar to high 129 internal temp will keep it a rare to medium rare finish

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 04:48:22 PM »
If you want the smoke flavor maybe you can do a short smoke and then cook that backstrap on the grill. Not sure I would want to risk drying out the best cut of meat that you will get off an elk by smoking it.

:yeah:

Save the smoking for the tougher cuts.
Backstraps are tenderloins. If you want some smoke flavor. Put a smoke chip box inside your grill!
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 06:06:03 PM »
I always take some deer backstrap and cut into 3/4" steaks, lightly season and smoke for about an hour with apple chips. Then I put it in jars with an onion slice, cover with au jus and can it in the pressure cooker. This meat is always saved for elk camp and it simply heated by removing the lid and placing the jar on the wood stove until heated. A pint jar per hunter makes for a quick and easy lunch or supper if we get back late. I'm a pretty popular guy when I break it out every year.
If you're a Nigerian Prince with an inheritance to share, please call 1-800-Mar-a-Lago now. We're getting desperate here.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 06:18:11 PM »
Nnnnnnnoooooooooo. Back straps are for burning on a grill, not for putting in a smoker like a common chunk of jerky.  Just teasing; I’m sure it’ll be good.
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2019, 10:19:23 AM »
I always take some deer backstrap and cut into 3/4" steaks, lightly season and smoke for about an hour with apple chips. Then I put it in jars with an onion slice, cover with au jus and can it in the pressure cooker. This meat is always saved for elk camp and it simply heated by removing the lid and placing the jar on the wood stove until heated. A pint jar per hunter makes for a quick and easy lunch or supper if we get back late. I'm a pretty popular guy when I break it out every year.
That does sound awesome!
Mine would never make it that long. Usually end up grilling the backstraps wrapped in bacon, in camp over an open fire.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1