collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Taking away quality permits or general season  (Read 12332 times)

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
Re: Taking away quality permits or general season
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2019, 12:01:21 AM »
The problem is if you start to limit tags issued then you either need to raise the price to make up for lost revenue or the state will have even less funds to pay enforcement officers, bios,etc.
Downhill spiral

Did you bother to read what I wrote?

Which part?

I didn’t think I read anything that had to do with what I just wrote about funds and what our say will be once the funds from hunters starts to dry up.
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2019, 12:17:50 AM »
The problem is if you start to limit tags issued then you either need to raise the price to make up for lost revenue or the state will have even less funds to pay enforcement officers, bios,etc.
Downhill spiral

Which part?

I didn’t think I read anything that had to do with what I just wrote about funds and what our say will be once the funds from hunters starts to dry up.

I didn’t think so.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2019, 04:51:19 AM »
Start next year, no more accruing points, those that draw a permit go to zero and have no more points going forward in that category. Each year a chunk of hunters drop out of that pool, increasing the odds of those still in the game.

As a percentage of hunters in that draw drop out, they are creating a additional group/% of hunters with "0" points. Each year, adjust the percentage of permits in the "point group" with those in the "0" point group, so that even though they are no longer in the "point group", they still have a chance to draw a permit, albeit a small chance.........no different than now. :chuckle:

Once you get to the 51/49 area, you can drop out of the point group if you want and join the "0" point group since the higher percentage of permits would then be in the "0" point group.

Yes this would take years to do, but it would eliminate the point system, while at the same time NOT eliminating the "investment" everybody to date has made, also increasing the odds of those still in, rather than reducing their odds.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2019, 05:41:35 AM »
Nobody is limiting deer hunting. Nobody is wanting reduced or permit Whitetail or blacktail. It’s mule deer that is the problem. Majority of population of people in this state lives either around blacktails or Whitetails. The mule deer herds need managing! It’s unbelievable that this state is a free for all modern firearm , muzzy and archery. We have the least amount of habitat for mule deer of any western state and highest people population of any western state excluding CA. These units need managing not saying it should be giving out 50 permits and making them quality , but managing hunter numbers and getting accurate harvest numbers . Some of the these units could be done like ID where it’s unlimited permit . You have to apply there and that’s the only unit you get to hunt. If you could save 25 bucks in a given unit ever year over a few years the unit would start to look better .

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2019, 05:49:58 AM »
I beg to differ. In areas the blacktail numbers are way down. When I have more cougars than deer on my cams it's an issue.
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2019, 06:25:11 AM »
Blacktails and Whitetails live mostly in thick cover in this state . They have escapement. Mule deer are just too dumb at a young age and live in some very open country .

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2019, 06:41:28 AM »
The state just needs to get aggressive with predators state wide, but the libs are winning at the voting booth.  Until we take the liberals out of wildlife management, nothing will change.  I'll say it again because this hunting by permit only state wide crap idea pops up once in a while like tribal over harvest, HUNTING IS NOT A PRIVALAGE!!!!  IT'S A GOD GIVEN RIGHT!! 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2019, 06:56:47 AM »
Downhill spiral

Which part?

I didn’t think so.

Because you didn’t.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Taking away quality permits or general season
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2019, 07:36:48 AM »
I don't believe we could go to permit only mule deer hunting and not do the same for blacktails and whitetails. All the hunting pressure would just be transferred from mule deer to the other two. Although in many blacktail areas, hunting pressure is controlled by Weyerhaeuser and other timber companies, so you wouldn't need to limit the number of tags issued for those areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2019, 08:16:15 AM »
Start next year, no more accruing points, those that draw a permit go to zero and have no more points going forward in that category. Each year a chunk of hunters drop out of that pool, increasing the odds of those still in the game.

As a percentage of hunters in that draw drop out, they are creating a additional group/% of hunters with "0" points. Each year, adjust the percentage of permits in the "point group" with those in the "0" point group, so that even though they are no longer in the "point group", they still have a chance to draw a permit, albeit a small chance.........no different than now. :chuckle:

Once you get to the 51/49 area, you can drop out of the point group if you want and join the "0" point group since the higher percentage of permits would then be in the "0" point group.

Yes this would take years to do, but it would eliminate the point system, while at the same time NOT eliminating the "investment" everybody to date has made, also increasing the odds of those still in, rather than reducing their odds.

This was Phool's suggestion

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2019, 08:19:06 AM »
I don't believe we could go to permit only mule deer hunting and not do the same for blacktails and whitetails. All the hunting pressure would just be transferred from mule deer to the other two. Although in many blacktail areas, hunting pressure is controlled by Weyerhaeuser and other timber companies, so you wouldn't need to limit the number of tags issued for those areas.

If it goes permit only, it'll never go back to OTC and we'll see a decline in permits over time.

We screw ourselves to make it better for predators, tribes and poachers? 

No thanks.   

Offline Tinmaniac

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2019, 08:19:22 AM »
 :yeah:I will expand on the point further.With hundreds of thousands of acres going to pay to play in Western Wa. many hunters have had to find new ground to hunt.Our neighboring states have begun to increase fees for non - res hunters.Many guys that would never hunt E.Wa. now hunt there.Mule deer standing out in the open with today's modern weapons and optics make them easy targets.Land management on national forest land is basically nonexistent.Watching millions of board feet of timber burn has somehow become more acceptable than active healthy land management.It's a known fact that actively managed tree farms hold roughly 10 times the amount of deer per sq. mile compared to a monoforest.Wide open access on NF land makes it easy to do drive byes on the already low numbers of animals.Then,there is the issue of co-management.For those of us that play by the rules that means finding one animal that is in season and meets the requirements of legal harvest.I have seen on more than one occasion,our co-managers blast an entire group of animals only collecting the ones that were easy to get to.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2019, 08:30:27 AM »
I still like the idea I had years ago about Predator Incentive Points  (PIP's)

now we gotta get bears sealed, cougar sealed, bobcat sealed..wouldn't be hard to turn in coyote tails too. 

turn in predators and get point/s added to some quality hunt.   We could argue all day about specifics, but I think something simple could be done to incentivise predator hunting in this way.
Doesn't cost the state a dime and would actually add money to their coffers because people sick of WDFW management might see this positive step and buy back in. 

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2019, 08:48:43 AM »
Deer is by far the most popular specie to hunt in Washington. Most youth and new hunters start out hunting deer. Traditions spanning generations have been built around deer hunting. I have photos of my father’s first deer (New York, 1930s), my first deer, my son’s first deer, and my daughter’s first deer.

In the last 50 years I’ve hunted with permits once. All other deer hunting has been general season.

Taking away general seasons for deer would do far more damage than good in the long run.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2019, 09:54:48 AM »
What i don’t think people understand is that funding for WDFW, from license sales, is declining so much that the general fund has had to bail it out three years in a row. The Master Hunter Permit Program was almost scrapped because of lack of funds. We don’t get very many out of state hunters, So there aren’t a lot of funds from that. So if we start reducing tags, there goes more money.

What if two gmus on each side of the state were shut down to deer hunting for five years on a rotation? It would increase pressure in other areas but not as much as closing down one side of the state. It could be done for elk too.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]