collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hanson Fish Co Group Buy #4 - Delivery Schedule  (Read 41270 times)

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
Hanson Fish Co Group Buy #4 - Delivery Schedule
« on: December 08, 2019, 01:49:12 AM »
I wanted to get this started as soon as I could, since time is running short between now and Christmas.  I don't have the full list of what's available yet as I have been waiting for some of my fish to arrive from Sitka (should have that nailed down by Tuesday evening), but the exciting things are the King Crab, Bering Sea Weathervane scallops, and Spot Prawns! I'll update this first post as soon as I can.

Golden King Crab Clusters

I'm buying Golden King crab from the Handler, a big ol' Bering Sea crab boat.  The skipper sent me some pics to share with you, and I'll post most of them up on the Commercial Fishing thread.

The Golden (brown) Kings are caught in the Aleutian chain and a bit north into the Bering Sea.  They are smaller than Red Kings, but roughly half the price per pound and I think they are super tasty.  These are "clusters" that include legs, claws and the very meaty body section.  The clusters are pre-cooked and brine frozen, so all you need to do is thaw and reheat.  I bought a few clusters to test out last month, and they were amazing.  These are all a 700+ gram sort, so at least 1.5# each cluster.  Big ones will go 2-ish #'s.  So, they're all pretty close in size.  Pic of that below.  Warning - they are spiny!  I cut the shells with scissors before I reheat them now to save on the bloodletting at the table.

The Golden King Crab clusters are priced at $27.50/#, or for $25/# if you buy a 28# case.*

*I know it's a lot of money and it's not for everybody, but if you compare them to the Red King crab clusters at $50+/#, it seems reasonable-ish.  These are likely going to be the cheapest King Crab clusters you are going to find this year.  I also considered buying the boxes of "legs and claws" to get the price down a bit, but those are the broken and knocked-off pieces, and there are no meat-filled body sections.  So your yield per pound goes down.  In the interest of getting the best value per dollar for Team HuntWa, I invested in the sections and committed to the smallest amount of crab that I could to get the good price.  That also meant I have no guarantee I can get more.  So, those that are interested might want to post up early.  If there's a bunch of interest, I need to get my increased order in right away.  Red King Crab is super scarce this year, and the Golden's are going fast.

Bering Sea Weathervane Scallops, 20-30 count

If you've had weathervane scallops before, you know what the big deal is.  I've only had them a few times the whole time I've been fishing, and it's always been because a diver friend decided to share.  Pic for size reference.   You can buy cheaper scallops, but those are usually smaller bay scallops from the east coast, or even scallops they farm and soak with phosphates to increase the water retention  :o.    These Weathervanes are a very limited availability product.  I was offered a couple of cases in this size and that's all I get for the year.  Order soon if you want some.

The Weathervane Scallops are priced at $21.50/#, or $20/# for a 5# bag.

Spot Prawn Tails, IQF

As before, I have some Individually Quick Frozen spot prawn tails for sale.  They're running a bit bigger this year than last year on average.  Going to do them by the box, bag and case.  Boxes are now 1 kg (2.21#) instead of 2.5# to meet commercial expectations.  Bags are the same as last year, and the case is a deal for the guys that want to split up a batch among friends.

1 kg box (2.21#) = $35, 2 for $65
4lb bag = $55
50# case = $650

Ocean Troll Chum Salmon, FAS carcass

Really nice ocean chum salmon, Frozen At Sea.  Headed and gutted, fish carcass sizes range from 3.5# to just under 10#.  Treated exactly the same as my kings and coho - pressure bled, frozen immediately and glazed.  I catch a few of these every year while king and coho fishing, and have a small amount I haven't yet sold.  Chum have gotten a bad rap over the years, but these dime-bright ocean fish will impress.  I'm offering these up here because I think there's probably a group of folks that want to put a big smoker load project together, or maybe some folks that just want to try them on the grill.  I've pickled them with great results as well.

The FAS Chum is priced at $4.50/# by the fish, $4/# for 50# and up.

Black Cod / Sablefish

Product of my co-op in Sitka.  As mentioned in some posts below, Sablefish are very rich.  They have a high fat content and it is a super tasty fish.  These are deep water fish, hook-and-line caught out of anywhere from 1200 to 5000'+ feet deep. 

These portions are pin-bone-out, skin-on, 5-7 oz portions in a vacuum pack.  I'm offering these by the pound or by the case.

Sablefish vacpac portions, PBO, skin on, 5-7oz = $15.00/#, or $140 for a 10# box (contains about 25 portions).

I'm also considering getting a case of black cod carcasses in the 4-5# class.  These are headed and gutted, collars off.  You'll need to thaw and do a little bit of knifework yourself to get a pair of filets off of them in the 1.4-1.75# class, but at a nice discount.  I need to get these by the case of 50#, so if we get enough interest I'll try out a case with you guys.

Sablefish H&G carcass, individually frozen and glazed, 4-5# size = $9.25/#, or $425 for a 50# case

Halibut

A product of my co-op in Sitka.  There's a fair chance some of the halibut I caught this year ended up in these vac-pac portions.  These are cut a bit bigger than the sablefish at 7-9 oz's per vacpac portion.  North Pacific hook and line caught halibut, processed in Sitka close to the grounds. No skin, no bones - easy meal prep!

Halibut vacpac portions, skin off, 7-9oz = $18/#, or $170 for a 10# box.

Like the sablefish, I'm going to try and offer up a cool deal for the folks that want to put a little bit of sweat equity into their winter fish supply.  I've been given access to my Co-op's headed and gutted halibut stock, and I'm offering up the 20-40# fish this year.  Here's the deal, tho - I've got to buy a WHOLE TOTE of fish to do this with you guys.  That means we'll keep track of the orders, and as soon as I get to 900 or so pounds I'll call in and see what tote they have to match up with our buy.  If we don't make 900#, we're just not a big enough player this year and this part of the offer dies.  These are frozen, obviously, and need to be thawed and fletched out, or sawn into steaks (I have access to a meat band saw I might be able to borrow for some guys). I can't guarantee you a 22#, a 30#, 39# fish, etc, but indicate the number of fish you'd like and a preferred size - and we'll do our best to meet your request.  A little flexibility will be needed, but if we want to start buying farther up the chain, this is how we get there.  So get ready to fire up the vacuum packers and move some flatties!

Halibut, H&G carcass, 20-40# = $9.75/#

Misc Rockfish Filets

Another product from my Cooperative.  These are vacpac, pin bone out, skinless filets.  They could be black rockfish, widow, rosethorn, etc.  Just about any rockfish but yelloweye or quillback native to Southeast Alaska - but all good, and all processed right in Sitka.  This is only bycatch from troll and longline fishing - no crushed dragger fish here.  Super fish taco stock!

Rockfish filets, vacpac, PBO, skin off, assorted sizes = $8/# or $75 for a 10# box.

Albacore Loins

I'm pretty excited about this one - the Cooperative is letting me have a shot at the FAS albacore loin stock.  A bit of information regarding these loins-

Albacore is landed in Washington one of three ways - fresh, brine frozen, and Frozen At Sea.  Fresh is self-explanatory, but the frozen types are quite different.  Brine frozen fish are caught, bled and then tossed into a super salt saturated liquid brine tank that is chilled down to -10 degrees F.  These fish are destined for the canners.   Our FAS fish are caught primarily on jigs, bled and then hung by the tail in the blast freezer.  This creates a ram-rod straight fish.  They are then offloaded to a processor who actually bandsaws the fish while frozen into lengthwise quarters, then literally grinds off the skin and backbone!  The full sized, clean loin is then vacuum packed frozen - so they never thaw out from the first freezing.  This makes a huge difference in the quality of a delicate meat like albacore.  These loins have not been available to us members for two years, so getting access to them now that we've had a good tuna year is pretty neat.

Washington Albacore loins, vacpac = $11.25/#, or $230 for a 22# box

Smoked Coho gift pack, 1# portion

I went to a different smoked fish processor this year, and the packaging is a little less fancy - but I get to pass a bit of savings on to you folks that way.  This is your standard 1# coho filet, smoked and packed in a foil pouch.  Multi-year shelf life, great to send as a gift.  Next year I'll have my own box made for it, but this year it's a standard gift box and the price reflects that.  This is a

Smoked Coho gift pack, 1# portion = $22 each, 2 for $40.

Ocean Troll Coho Portions

Another Cooperative product, and something I may have supplied product to produce.  These are 5-7 oz, skin-on, pin bone out, vacpac coho portions.  Easy meal to deal with, and these portions are great for those smaller meals.  All hook and line, no nets.  You know the deal!

Ocean Troll Coho Portions = $12.50/#, $115 for a 10# box.

Tuesday update - final addition to the group buy-

Lingcod FAS Carcass, Western Cut

Troll bycatch lingcod, headed and gutted.  These came on my boat during the king season as bycatch.  Average 11# each, range from 7-ish to 15#. 

Lingcod FAS Carcass = $6/#.

Still looking to get my image hosting program up soon and add pics to each offering.  Thanks for looking - :tup:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 01:15:35 AM by Skillet »
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
Re: Hanson Fish Co Group Buy #4 - King Crab, Scallops, Spot Prawns, & more-
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 04:31:55 AM »
Sign me up for...

Scallops - 5# -$100
Prawns - 2  4lbs bags - $110
Halibut vacpac - 10# box  - $170
Albacore - 10# - $112.5

Thanks for the effort in doing this again!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 06:22:17 PM by 92xj »
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend

Offline brokentrail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 06:58:34 AM »
Updating my order,  I'll take

2 - 1kg boxes prawn tails
5# scallops
10# crab
4# black cod vac pac
4# albacore loins
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 08:18:07 PM by brokentrail »

Offline ipkus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 07:44:33 AM »
I will take;

5 lbs. of crab (or whatever 3 full clusters comes out to)
5 lbs. scallops
4 lbs. prawns
4 lb. black cod

Thanks for your efforts!

UPDATED
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 07:33:29 AM by ipkus »

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 08:12:11 AM »
Roughly how many pounds are in your picture on the baking sheet?

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 08:33:12 AM »
I’ll take 2 1kg boxes of prawns. I might be interested in some halibut if that becomes available.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 09:53:34 AM by PolarBear »

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 09:04:04 AM »
Hey Chris put me down for
2 of the 1 kg boxes of prawns
2 crab clusters (what do they weigh? i may add more)
1lb of Scallops
2lbs Black cod/Sable fish
Thanks for doing this  :tup:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 09:15:21 PM by Buckmark »
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
I can attest to the Crab Quality. I had a taste and they were great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 09:35:00 AM »
Chris,

I'll take 5 lbs each of the scallops and crab clusters.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 11:21:05 AM »
I'm in for a 50 lb case of prawns and 50 lbs of chum for the smoker.

Update 12/9 - add 5 lbs of scallops to my order please.

Update 12/11 - add two 10 lb boxes of rockfish and one large lingcod to my order please.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 09:28:28 PM by cem3434 »
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline Dhoey07

• Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 02:32:12 PM »
I appreciate you doing this Chris.

I’d like to get 10# of crab,1 box of albacore, 4# of prawns and 2# of scallops.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 06:38:48 AM by Dhoey07 »

Offline Goldeneye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • One shot One Kill
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 03:21:16 PM »
I'd like to order 5#'s or ( 3 clusters, whatever those weigh) of the crab, (2) 5# bag's of the scallops, 5#'s of the vacpac black cod, 10#'s (box) of the Misc rockfish and 2 lingcod (size will be what you grab).   Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 11:10:07 AM by Goldeneye »

Offline elkaholic123

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Montana Dirty Dozen,Life member RMEF,NAHC, WSF
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 03:28:00 PM »
5# scallops and 3 # crab/ 2 clusters and a 10# box of Halibut, can meet in Marysville area.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 08:58:09 AM by elkaholic123 »
elkaholic

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2019, 04:01:58 PM »
I'm in for

5# of Scallops

7 of King Crab clusters

5# of Sablefish

2# Misc fillet's

3# Ocean Coho

as close as you can get it.

If you need a "Fish Mule" I could help ya again.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 07:11:53 PM by Ridgeratt »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal