collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2020 spring bear apps  (Read 49735 times)

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
Re: 2020 spring bear apps
« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2020, 08:48:44 AM »
Harvest Check, Submitting Biological Samples and Bear Teeth: All successful bear hunters must validate (notch) their bear tag, notify the department within 72 hours of kill (excluding legal state holidays) by calling 1-844-992-7266 to provide the hunter's name, date and GMU of kill, and sex of animal. The raw pelt, with evidence of sex, and skull must be presented to an authorized department employee for sealing within 5 days of kill. All permit hunters must comply with harvest reporting and submission of biological sample. Failure to comply with the submission of biological samples is a misdemeanor pursuant to RCW 77.15.280

All successful black bear hunters statewide MUST submit a black bear premolar tooth per WACs 220-415-080 and 220-415-090. Tooth envelopes are available at all WDFW offices, and one should be included in your spring bear special hunt packet. The premolar tooth is located behind the canine tooth.

And now we have to bring the skull out also?  Not trying to stir up this fire, but like others have said, if I'm in 5-6 miles or more there is no way I'm bringing the weight of the HIDE AND SKULL.  I can see why someone would just leave the meat and hide and say, UNSUCCESSFUL.

It's almost as if these rules were made by people that don't know much about hunting..........

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2020, 09:03:30 AM »
Wyoming Regs.
appears some spelling changed with copy/paste

Secon 4.  Hunng Regulaons.
 (a)  Hunters may take any black bear except dependent young and female black bears with dependent young at side. 
 (b)  Registering Kills.  A hunter taking a black bear shall retain the pelt and skull from each black bear taken for registraon purposes.  Even if the skull is damaged, it shall accompany the pelt.  Visible external evidence of sex shall remain naturally aached to the pelt.  Within three (3) days, (seventy‐two (72) hours), aer taking a black bear, the licensee shall present the pelt and skull to a district game warden, district wildlife biologist, or Department personnel at a Department Regional
CHAPTER 3 BLACK BEAR HUNTING SEASONS

Office during business hours for registraon.  The pelt and skull shall be presented in an unfrozen condion in order to allow collecon of two (2) premolar teeth to be ulized to determine the age of the black bear and to allow examinaon of the pelt to determine the sex and possible lactaon status of the black bear.  A hunter taking a black bear in designated wilderness areas in hunt areas 13, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 or 28 shall report their harvest by telephone or in person within three (3) days, (seventy‐two (72) hours) and shall present the pelt and skull to a district game warden, district wildlife biologist or Department personnel at a Department Regional Office during business hours for registraon within ten (10) days from the date of harvest or within three (3) days aer returning from a designated wilderness area.  The hunter making the telephone report shall contact a district game warden, district wildlife biologist, or Department personnel at a Department Regional Office and provide their name, license number, date of kill, sex of bear, hunt area and the general locaon of the kill site (drainage).  At the me of registraon, the hunter shall furnish the Department their license number, date of kill and the locaon of the site of kill to include hunt area, secon, township and range or GPS coordinates. 

(i) Any person who makes a false statement on the registraon form shall be in violaon of this regulaon and such violaon shall be punishable as provided by Title 23, W.S. for violaon of Commission regulaons. 
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2020, 09:07:26 AM »
Idaho

Mandatory Check and Report: Any hunter killing a black bear must, within 10 days of kill: •  Present the skull and hide to an Idaho Fish and Game regional office, official check point, or a Fish and Game conservation officer for removal and retention of a premolar tooth and to have the hide tagged with an official state export tag. No person, who does not possess a fur buyer or taxidermist license with appropriate import documentation, shall have, except during the open season and for 10 days after the close of the season, any raw black bear pelt that does not have an official state export tag attached (either Idaho’s or another state’s official export documentation).
•  A hunter may authorize another person to comply with the above requirements if that person possesses enough information to accurately complete the necessary form. Proxy statement required, see page 102. •  Please thaw your black bear hide and skull before bringing it in for tagging. Staff members may not be able to check a frozen hide or skull. Fish and Game’s headquarters office is not equipped to check in bears. In the Boise area, these animals can be checked Monday through Friday, at the Fish and Game regional office in Nampa, 15950 N Gate Blvd (after June 2019) 208-465-8465, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. or by appointment at the Garden City facility, 109 W. 44th St., 208-327-7095.
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2020, 09:09:37 AM »
Montana

Mandatory Reporting Requirements Within ten (10) days of harvesting a black bear the successful hunter must present to a Montana FWP official the complete bear hide and skull for the purpose of inspection, tagging and possible removal of a tooth (for aging). The hide and skull must be presented in a condition that allows full inspection and tooth collection (i.e. unfrozen). On the reporting date, successful hunters are required to provide FWP personnel with hunter’s name, telephone number, ALS number, Bear Management Unit (BMU) and County. The FWP hide tag affixed during inspection must thereafter remain attached to the hide until tanned. Harvest Reporting .................. 1-877-FWP-WILD or 1-877-397-9453  OR 406-444-0356 OR through the MyFWP portal at fwp.mt.gov Quota Status/Closure..................800-385-7826 or 406-444-1989 OR on the FWP website..................................... fwp.mt.gov
The toll-free line and FWP website are updated daily by 1 p.m. MST. NOTE: There is a mandatory 48 hour reporting requirement for black bear hunting in Bear Management Units (BMUs) 510, 520 and 700. When the quota is reached or approached in each of these districts, the black bear season in that district will close. For Quota Status call 1-800-385-7826 or (406) 444-1989.

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2020, 09:10:21 AM »
WDFW behind the curve?

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2020, 11:30:28 AM »
Has no one been able to confirm are we actually expected to carry out the entire hide? Seems obvious you wouldn’t. For example if you wanted to to do a shoulder mount you would need less then half the hide but sure you would need it sealed to have the work done. Why couldn’t you just bring the skull with fur on it and proof of sex attached to one quarter? Doesn’t make any sense to me.

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2020, 11:48:07 AM »
Has no one been able to confirm are we actually expected to carry out the entire hide? Seems obvious you wouldn’t. For example if you wanted to to do a shoulder mount you would need less then half the hide but sure you would need it sealed to have the work done. Why couldn’t you just bring the skull with fur on it and proof of sex attached to one quarter? Doesn’t make any sense to me.

As previously posted.  Spring 2020 regs available online.

Report requirement: Hunters will be required to report hunting activity for each special permit awarded in addition to their general season hunting activity report. All successful bear hunters must validate (notch) their bear tag, notify the department within 72 hours of kill (excluding legal state holidays) by  calling 844-992-7266 to provide the hunter’s name, date and GMU of kill, and sex of animal. The raw pelt, with evidence of sex, and skull must be presented to an authorized department employee for sealing within 5 days of kill. All permit hunters must comply with harvest reporting and submission of  biological samples. Failure to comply with the submission of biological  samples is a misdemeanor pursuant to RCW 77.15.280.

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2020, 01:38:16 PM »
Ghost hunter, i see what youre doing by posting up all the other states bear sealing requirements.  I get it.  But if were going to play the "idaho / montana / wyoming does it" game, then we should do it right.  They also have otc spring bear, hound hunting for lions, wolf hunting and trapping, leg hold traps etc.  If wdfw gives us all that, really plays the " the other states do it " game to the full extent, id gladly get all my bear hides sealed with never a complaint out of my mouth.  But for us to only have other states burdens, but not other states opportunities, screw that.

Offline tjthebest

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2020, 01:57:27 PM »

this is what i was thinking too Just the head with fur/pelt on and then proof of sex with the meat.
Camp Wapiti Death!

Online carlyoungs

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2020, 03:23:59 PM »
I have a quick question for all you. Didnt they change the regs last year where you can start state wide August 1st and take 2 bears on the east side? When I went on wdfw and clicked on spring bear 2020 it said only 1 bear can be taken in eastern Washington?

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2020, 03:48:33 PM »
I have a quick question for all you. Didnt they change the regs last year where you can start state wide August 1st and take 2 bears on the east side? When I went on wdfw and clicked on spring bear 2020 it said only 1 bear can be taken in eastern Washington?

That was a mistake.  A cut and paste from the old spring bear info they forgot to change.  Aug 1st / 2 bear is statewide.  You CAN kill 2 bears in eastern, but still only one of those 2 can be taken in spring if you draw.

Online carlyoungs

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2020, 03:52:00 PM »
Ok I thought that was a mistake. Thanks

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2020, 05:01:21 PM »
What is the hide sealing requirement for?

If I don't bring out the paws, I've missed some of the hide.  If i decide not to skin the head I've left out part of the hide.  If I shoot a bear with a poor hide I'm going to cut a little fur along with the evidence of sex and let them try to pin me against the wall without any definition of "hide". 

People are committing real crimes all around the state, do they really want to argue with me over what is technically a what constitutes a valid hide?

In Idaho the rules say you cannot be caught with a hide that isn't sealed.  It doesn't say you'll be penalized for not wanting the hide at all...

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2020, 05:07:40 PM »
What is the hide sealing requirement for?

If I don't bring out the paws, I've missed some of the hide.  If i decide not to skin the head I've left out part of the hide.  If I shoot a bear with a poor hide I'm going to cut a little fur along with the evidence of sex and let them try to pin me against the wall without any definition of "hide". 

People are committing real crimes all around the state, do they really want to argue with me over what is technically a what constitutes a valid hide?

In Idaho the rules say you cannot be caught with a hide that isn't sealed.  It doesn't say you'll be penalized for not wanting the hide at all...

Its because not enough people are reporting.  They feel mandatory hide sealing will increase percentage of reporting.  They want more data on how many bears are being killed, and specifically how many females.  The people who are opposed to spring bear hunting, and are blocking more liberal spring bear hunting regs, cite their main concern as sows with cubs being killed.  So with the mandatory hide checks, they figure the vast majority of successful hunters will check in their hides so they can keep them.  Then, if it turns out theres not a wholesale slaughter of nursing sows going on, the people blocking increased spring bear hunting have lost their only real argument.  So going along with the minor inconvenience can only help us in the end, unless everybody decides to whack lactating sows in the spring. 

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2020, 05:27:42 PM »
Ghost hunter, i see what youre doing by posting up all the other states bear sealing requirements.  I get it.  But if were going to play the "idaho / montana / wyoming does it" game, then we should do it right.  They also have otc spring bear, hound hunting for lions, wolf hunting and trapping, leg hold traps etc.  If wdfw gives us all that, really plays the " the other states do it " game to the full extent, id gladly get all my bear hides sealed with never a complaint out of my mouth.  But for us to only have other states burdens, but not other states opportunities, screw that.
I got no argument with that logic.  I have no plans on tanning or mounting a bear unless it's a large color phase.  Skull and claws for gift projects.  It's the voters that made most of the difference from other states.  How long will it take them to be Californicated.   :dunno:

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal