collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Magnification, NOT long range  (Read 8244 times)

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Magnification, NOT long range
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2020, 10:43:44 AM »
I'm replacing an old 4-12 Nikon that was about a hundred bucks twenty years ago. I was thinking the 3i 3.5-10 but I have a really hard time not constantly trying to go one step better, which leads to two steps better.....

They have it with and without the CDS, if I'm not shooting past 300 do I need the CDS? I feel like I want one cause the cool kids have it but I've never found myself feeling I needed anything like it. My shot distances in the field have never been more than 200 yards and I've always felt very confident to 300 without.
Gonna show my age and say if you know the old fashion Kentucky windage nope,  one reason still using 3 x 9 and without all the extra bells and whistles, no BDC, no special turrets, just good ole know your rifle and ammo, which takes a whole lot of shooting.

Fear the man with 1 gun!!!!!

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2020, 10:59:56 AM »
Another scope I'd recommend, though not a Leupold, is the Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42.  I have three of these on different rifles and they're a great scope for the money and their optical quality is very good.  They're a 1in tube scope but it doesn't sound like the OP needs the extra MOA of a 30mm tube.  They're a very light scope and the HSR-4 is a great hold over reticle.

Even though the OP doesn't think he'll be shooting real long distance, I always like a scope with some kind of parallax adjustment and the VX5 3-15 as well as the Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15 have that.

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2020, 11:46:58 AM »
I had an extremely abbreviated hunting season last year and was still around a vortex scope and spotter that both had issues. I feel like that's an anomaly but enough to keep me away from throwing money at them for a while.

I've never installed or done more than check to make sure screws are tight on a scope. Is the install something I could do fairly easy or should I hire it out?

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2020, 11:49:27 AM »
An issue with a Vortex optic is not an anomaly. I use them plenty but I know "their place" and I'm phasing them out of the "needs to work or I'm screwed" category of equipment. Unlimited lifetime warranty doesn't help when I'm in the mountains  :twocents:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2020, 12:24:18 PM »
An issue with a Vortex optic is not an anomaly. I use them plenty but I know "their place" and I'm phasing them out of the "needs to work or I'm screwed" category of equipment. Unlimited lifetime warranty doesn't help when I'm in the mountains  :twocents:
yep. Every piece I've owned (6) has failed. Never again. I was reminded of this last summer when I helped setup a kimber for a buddy. He topped it with razor LH. Thing had aluminum shavings floating around in it and ended up not holding zero.  We were joking at the range one day because we used one of the shavings as a wind hold for a few shots before it drifted to a different part of the sight picture  :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2020, 01:37:38 PM »
12 power is already way more than necessary for 300-400 yards  :twocents:

What are you upgrading from and what's your budget?

Way more ?????  If you want to see details, more is better, if you shoot horns, mag doesnt matter......everyones eyes and vision requirements are different , so its totally personal.  Try before you buy if you can.

Offline jeffitz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2020, 02:08:21 PM »
Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10.   Thousands of pounds of meat has gone into my freezers in the last 20 years using these scopes. I have newer/fancier scopes but if i had to choose only one this would be it.Super tough and bright optics-and waterproof/fog-proof,first one i ever bought was in 1999(Bausch and Lomb then) still works perfect and still goes hunting every year in the rain and snow and fog.
If you're gonna be dumb,you gotta be tough.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2020, 02:27:00 PM »

Way more ?????  If you want to see details, more is better, if you shoot horns, mag doesnt matter......everyones eyes and vision requirements are different , so its totally personal.  Try before you buy if you can.

Yes everybody has different eyes but nobody should be identifying their target with a rifle scope.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2020, 02:49:56 PM »
I'm against the high power argument on this thread, as the OP really doesn't even need 10x, but in fairness I don't think the poster was talking about finding and identifying game with his scope. More so after a buck is spotted, zoom in to get a better look at his rack.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2020, 03:54:29 PM »

Yes everybody has different eyes but nobody should be identifying their target with a rifle scope.

No one suggested that........

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2020, 04:40:46 PM »
Oh I'm definitely a glass with binos guy no worries there. I think the only time I've really ever had the magnification dialed up at all has been at the range. I'm pretty certain I don't need more magnification than a 10 so unless I come across a screaming deal I'll try to stick to a lower power version. I just gave Wyoming a bunch of money so a cheaper option will probably help me out with the wife even though she is way too accommodating when it comes to me spending money  :chuckle: life is rough.

How hard is a scope install? It seems pretty straightforward but never having done it I don't know what I don't know.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2020, 04:50:59 PM »
If you just bolt it on, it's 15 minutes.  If you lap it up, probably an hour.  Either way I would have, borrow or buy a torque screwdriver or small wrench that can go to the recommended torque for the rings you are using.  Blue loctite is also a great idea.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2020, 05:25:13 PM »
Not hard at all Jp, but its definitely an important step and should be done correctly. Rings have come along ways and most quality rings will specifically tell you to NOT lap. I mount a few dozen scopes a year and have gone both ways and I just don't bother with it anymore. Level the gun, adjust scope to proper eye relief, level the optic, torque to manufacturers specs in the proper scew sequence per manufacturer and you are good to go.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Online Houndhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2020, 07:14:24 PM »
Leupold VX5 3.5-15x is a pretty nice scope that'll do everything for hunting, I just picked one up myself.

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2020, 07:25:03 PM »
The little brass leveling kits can be found for reasonable prices on midwsy, brownells etc.  That and a torque driver and a gun vise should set you straight for mounting your scope.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal