collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Oregon Coast Elk  (Read 5493 times)

Offline Martinhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Whack em and stack em!!
Oregon Coast Elk
« on: January 23, 2020, 11:29:51 AM »
I'm doing my first out of state hunt on the Oregon Coast this coming general archery season. I have an area picked out already up in Weyco land and I've done a scouting trip already as well but I was wondering where I can find somewhere online or if anyone knows of some locked up walk in only areas. Looking at the coos bay/roseburg area. I'd much rather hunt behind locked gates..  Any help is appreciated. 
To God alone be the Glory!!

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Oregon Coast Elk
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 12:18:37 PM »
Better get your Weyco permit within seconds of when they go up for sale. 

Offline SteelheadTed

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 12:57:04 PM »
why pay more to hunt for the same experience you can get on our coast?
I know I've lost it, let me know if you come across it

Offline Matth

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 03:01:09 PM »

Correction, it used to be the same experience. It's not even in the same conversation any longer. Don't get me wrong, some descent hunting still exists in the south west but it is not what it was even 5 years ago.

Offline Martinhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Whack em and stack em!!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 03:40:04 PM »
I’m not interested in the usual “it’s not what it use to be” comments, if you hunt hard it pays off no matter what. You must be talking about the road huntin isn’t what it use to be.  :chuckle:

And the first comment about selling out in seconds, that’s BS too, I bought this years permit so that I can scout, 5 months after they went on sale so don’t comment if you don’t know what your talking about. I hate this forum anymore you can’t even ask a simple question.. I’ll figure it out myself!!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 06:16:46 PM by Martinhunter »
To God alone be the Glory!!

Offline Matth

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 04:26:47 PM »
I’m not interested in the usual “it’s not what it use to be” comments, if you hunt hard it pays off no matter what. You must be talking about the road huntin isn’t what it use to be.  :chuckle:

And the first comment about selling out in seconds, that’s BS too, I bought this years permit so that I can scout, 5 months after they went on sale so don’t comment if you don’t know what your talking about. I hate this forum anymore you can’t even ask a simple question.. I’ll figure it myself!!

Read a little closer my comment was not about the Oregon coast. I have taken 8 bulls in the last 10 years down there. I don't need to schooled on the rewards of hard work. 

Online Buckhunter24

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 04:49:39 PM »
Man no one said anything offensive. Gotta get thicker skin if your.gonna hunt them blackberry patches down there

Offline Matth

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 05:11:14 PM »
It's all good, i just felt my original comment wasn't read correctly. I actually was advocating for out of state hunting on the Oregon coast, and as for the post above mine a ton of those weyco areas do sell out fast.

Offline SteelheadTed

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 12:30:21 PM »

Correction, it used to be the same experience. It's not even in the same conversation any longer. Don't get me wrong, some descent hunting still exists in the south west but it is not what it was even 5 years ago.

I haven't hunted down there so perhaps I'm missing out but if I work hard where I hunt in WA I get an average of an opportunity at a bull each day.  That's good enough for me.

Offline gee_unit360

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 01:47:23 PM »

I haven't hunted down there so perhaps I'm missing out but if I work hard where I hunt in WA I get an average of an opportunity at a bull each day.  That's good enough for me.

An opportunity at a bull a day?? Wow. On public land? Amazing.

Offline HillHound

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 03:39:48 PM »
 No kidding! I’m lucky if I get one chance a season and if I don’t close the deal on that one And I actually get a second chance there’s no way he’s not going down, branches in the way or not. You must have a pretty short elk season if you get a chance every day can’t take it more than two or three days a season I’m sure. Even the best hunters I know don’t do that but must have a large piece of private property somewhere. I find it highly unlikely anyone could find that kind of success on public land when you have no idea what all of the other hunters are going to be doing. 10 miles back or not you’re still running into people and as much as you can pattern elk I sure as heck can’t seem to pattern all these other hunters

Offline Cheif

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 02:07:27 PM »

You obviously never hunted Oregon archery coastal elk.

Offline nwmein199

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 04:17:08 AM »
No kidding! I’m lucky if I get one chance a season and if I don’t close the deal on that one And I actually get a second chance there’s no way he’s not going down, branches in the way or not. You must have a pretty short elk season if you get a chance every day can’t take it more than two or three days a season I’m sure. Even the best hunters I know don’t do that but must have a large piece of private property somewhere. I find it highly unlikely anyone could find that kind of success on public land when you have no idea what all of the other hunters are going to be doing. 10 miles back or not you’re still running into people and as much as you can pattern elk I sure as heck can’t seem to pattern all these other hunters

Haha I was waiting for someone to comment this. When I read that they get a shot on a roosevelt elk every DAY...best hunter ever or maybe a bit of embellishing? Lol

Offline SteelheadTed

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020, 12:55:49 PM »

Haha I was waiting for someone to comment this. When I read that they get a shot on a roosevelt elk every DAY...best hunter ever or maybe a bit of embellishing? Lol

You are putting words in my mouth, I didn't say a shot per day, I said an opportunity per day, big difference.  Most of the time it doesn't work out, I back out due to unfavorable conditions or blow a chance due to wind, sight, sound... whatever.   I've spent a lot of time in past years figuring out where they ain't and I've found out where the herds go when pressured.  I can drive to those places, walk in, see if they are there and if they aren't, I quickly move on.  I do this all season with lots of spots to check.   It is only recently where I've been getting chances nearly every day.  Maybe that won't continue but since it has gotten better each year as I've learned, I expect I can maintain a good pace next season.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2020, 01:17:03 PM »
WOW! You must be the most stupendous elk patternater ever in the history of ever to kill an elk everyday! Or did I just read all that wrong... Opportunity means to harvest right...  :dunno:.  Again with the instant trash talk...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal