collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Quick breakdown on twist rate:bullet weight/length for optimal accuracy  (Read 2139 times)

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
Re: Quick breakdown on twist rate:bullet weight/length for optimal accuracy
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2020, 02:08:25 PM »
Well that was easy.

I'm working on Barnes 145 TTSX LRX for the 7 mag and Barnes 110 TTSX in the -08. If anyone has any firsthand experience loading either of these, I'd be happy to hear about it.

Im a couple months out on starting a 7mm 08 but it will be with 120gr ttsx as I want to get 400 yards with enough energy for mules.......pure woods deer rifle is my thought.....Im at 168gr with my 7mag and its limitations are ethical, as its ding dong to 1200 yards, far beyond perfect world 800 yard shot.  Farthest so far with 7mag is 650 one shot drt.  May never see farther.

I loaded the 120 TTSX in my -08 last year with good results, but these 110's have been pestering me for a while so I'm going to develop a load and test them out. If I can get them pushing 3200-3300 fps they should be a rocking deer load too 400+ which is my self imposed limitation.

I've been shooting 154 gr Interbonds in the 7 mag for years and have a 3/4 MOA load for it. I can hit milk jugs to 700 every time. But that bullet is no longer available, and if I'm going to develop a new load, I'm going to go mono as I think that's where the market will be going eventually. I don't see taking a shot at more than 500 yards unless it's a hail mary followup shot, so I'm not to worried about ballistic performance at 700-800-900 yards.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2020, 02:10:06 PM »
Barnes are a little different when going solely on weight.  The copper bullets are longer than a lead core bullet of the same length.

Yes, the 145 LRX is the exact same length as a 160 Accubond. That information is what got me on this twist rate project. The information I read is that the twist rate isn't actually designed based on weight, but length of bullet. Since virtually no one categorizes their bullets based on length, weight is the easiest and most common reference.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Caseknife

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, SCI
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2020, 07:47:52 AM »
From Barnes site, the 145 LRX should do fine, the 168LRX may be unstable.  I have a load for my 7Mag using the 120 TTSX, and it is a laser.  Love Barnes and have loaded them exclusively other than varmint for years.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal