collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Brand New Hunter and new to the area  (Read 6755 times)

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Re: Brand New Hunter and new to the area
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2020, 08:54:55 AM »
I am pretty sure bear is open everywhere and overlaps just about anyplace you would hunt Elk or Deer in the fall.
SW Wa has some pretty thick areas, I have made the mistake of thinking I can just pick through this little thick patch, pretty soon I am swimming through it just trying to find the exit.  :chuckle:

In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline 172ndVet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2020, 09:43:16 AM »
I am pretty sure bear is open everywhere and overlaps just about anyplace you would hunt Elk or Deer in the fall.
SW Wa has some pretty thick areas, I have made the mistake of thinking I can just pick through this little thick patch, pretty soon I am swimming through it just trying to find the exit.  :chuckle:

Yes did that twice this last year and realized exactly how out of shape I am. Is it better in other places ie higher altitudes, I spent most of my time this last year in the public land just south of Mayfield. I did go up into the Gifford Pincho just off 508 but that was super steep so it felt like I wasted a day.

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2020, 09:51:34 AM »
Effort meaning scouting and hunting hard.  Guys that show up for elk season and drive around are rarely successful.  Guys that scout a lot, pattern the animals, and hunt hard are successful yearly or close to it.  Even with scouting, its hard to show up for opening weekend and expect to be successful.  Sometimes you are, but often the critters aren't where you thought they'd be, people push them, or a million other things go wrong.  Hunting the entire season or at least as much of it as you can makes all the difference.

Offline 172ndVet

• Pilgrim
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2020, 12:25:58 PM »
So I’ve been doing some reading about bear habits/habitat here in WA. I’ve read a few threads here and a couple articles for various outlets but a lot of that covers basics, which I need. I even went to a seminar with bearmanric at cabelas to learn some calling stuff but I’m not sure where to start scouting. Is reading the harvest reports for a GMU a good way to determine if it’s a good place to hunt or would it be better to hunt surrounding areas. Logic being that if an area has had a lot of animals harvested then there won’t be as many next year, especially species that aren’t hunted sex specific

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2020, 12:44:59 PM »
So I’ve been doing some reading about bear habits/habitat here in WA. I’ve read a few threads here and a couple articles for various outlets but a lot of that covers basics, which I need. I even went to a seminar with bearmanric at cabelas to learn some calling stuff but I’m not sure where to start scouting. Is reading the harvest reports for a GMU a good way to determine if it’s a good place to hunt or would it be better to hunt surrounding areas. Logic being that if an area has had a lot of animals harvested then there won’t be as many next year, especially species that aren’t hunted sex specific

Look at the harvest reports for a few years and pick a unit that has consistently higher harvest than other areas and you will be on the right track. Then find the food sources in that unit and you will find the bear.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline 172ndVet

• Pilgrim
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2020, 01:39:36 PM »

Look at the harvest reports for a few years and pick a unit that has consistently higher harvest than other areas and you will be on the right track. Then find the food sources in that unit and you will find the bear.

Ok thank you for the info. I’m going to plug around on the wdfw site and see what I can find.

Offline NW SURVEYOR

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF NRA
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2020, 07:29:27 AM »
I see this hasn't had any postings for a while, but if you are tracking it, here is my two cents.
Invest in the best pair of Binoculars you can afford and get comfortable using them.
As for Washington State,
I have shot a lot of elk and deer over the last 45 years.
There are still plenty animals to be had if you put in the time and boot leather.
Also, don't get discouraged, that is your worst enemy.
Good Luck,
Rob.

Offline Aginor

• Tracker
  • https://caltopo.com/m/B201
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2020, 05:50:11 PM »

Been there, too! Swimming is the only verb to properly describe it

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2020, 06:14:25 PM »

Good advice right there, I like to pretend I am bear hunting during august, mostly I am scouting for Elk and deer as I archery hunt in Sept stuffing my face with huckleberries and taking naps.

Hey, me too  :chuckle:

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2020, 08:12:10 AM »

Good advice right there, I like to pretend I am bear hunting during august, mostly I am scouting for Elk and deer as I archery hunt in Sept stuffing my face with huckleberries and taking naps.

Hey, me too  :chuckle:

lol,  My daughter has joined me for a few scouting trips when she knew the berries were ripe.   :tup:
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline ericjones

• Pilgrim
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2020, 06:28:30 PM »
As someone else who is new to hunting. Bear hunting is not something I have thought of as a good starting point. You guys have definitely opened my eyes to the idea. Specially after hearing that small game wasn’t very prevalent in my area before I moved. With all that being said would this be something one could use a shotgun or a bow to harvest? I do understand my odds are against me, but as a safety and ethics or. Is this strictly game geared more to rifle hunting.

Sorry 172ndVet I have been watching for awhile and don’t mean to start your thread down a different path

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2020, 06:43:44 PM »
As someone else who is new to hunting. Bear hunting is not something I have thought of as a good starting point. You guys have definitely opened my eyes to the idea. Specially after hearing that small game wasn’t very prevalent in my area before I moved. With all that being said would this be something one could use a shotgun or a bow to harvest? I do understand my odds are against me, but as a safety and ethics or. Is this strictly game geared more to rifle hunting.

Sorry 172ndVet I have been watching for awhile and don’t mean to start your thread down a different path

Yes you can definitely kill a black bear with a shotgun or bow. My goal this year is to shoot one with my bow.
Instagram @dmoua_outdoors

Youtube channel DMOUA OUTDOORS
https://www.youtube.com/user/YeXuSsOlDiEr

Offline griz_64

• Tracker
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2020, 12:23:14 PM »
pm sent

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter