collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW news release  (Read 25706 times)

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
Re: WDFW news release
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 10:04:31 AM »
So if I’m fishing, hiking, horseback ridding, duck hunting, modern deer hunting, etc I can carry without a CPL, but as soon as I pickup a muzzleloader or a bow I have to another license?  Senseless BS.  :tdown:

Offline stumprat

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 10:06:49 AM »
So if I’m fishing, hiking, horseback ridding, duck hunting, modern deer hunting, etc I can carry without a CPL, but as soon as I pickup a muzzleloader or a bow I have to another license?  Senseless BS.  :tdown:

Pretty smart eh.

Offline RailRob

• Longhunter
  • KCCO
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 10:09:48 AM »

yep..basically!

Offline JoshT

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 10:10:53 AM »
So by that line of rational... should I be able to pack a rifle durring bow season?

If the tag in your pocket allows for the harvest of a game animal via BOW or MUZZLELOADER... then yes... you should. None of the activities you mentioned place any restriction on the use of a firearm... having a MZ or Bow tag does place a limit on the use (or access to) a firearm. Hence my interpretation of the law's intention. I could be way off base... but that seems like a reasonable (at least as reasonable as you can get in WA) explination.

Don't get me wrong... I don't think you should have to have any kind of license to pack a gun... if you can buy one, you should be able to carry one. I'm just trying to see the other side of the coin here.
Strike Hard...
Strike Fast...
No Mercy, SIR!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 10:13:02 AM »
see the other side of the coin here.

Goodluck with that. :chuckle:     

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 10:17:44 AM »
None of the activities you mentioned place any restriction on the use of a firearm... having a MZ or Bow tag does place a limit on the use (or access to) a firearm.

So if I'm fishing for humpies on the Sky is it OK to shoot them with my sidearm?

Offline JoshT

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 10:27:57 AM »
see the other side of the coin here.

Goodluck with that. :chuckle:     

Hey man... at least I'm trying...

None of the activities you mentioned place any restriction on the use of a firearm... having a MZ or Bow tag does place a limit on the use (or access to) a firearm.

So if I'm fishing for humpies on the Sky is it OK to shoot them with my sidearm?

Not ok to shoot them... but ok to have access to a firearm. A fishing license doesn't place restrictions on the use of a firearm... an Archery tag DOES... a Muzzleloader tag DOES. By purchasing one of those two tags you limit yourself to access to the firearm if you're in an area where that particular season is open... it's part of the reason for the season so to speak. If you don't have a bow tag... and you want to hike, camp, fish for Humpies, etc... and it's in an area that's open for bowhunting... then pack away. But if you have a bow tag, in an area that's open to archery... then I don't see why you feel the need to pack a 7" barreled .357... afterall, you're hunting with your bow... remember?

Let me ask you this... why do you need a sidearm durring bow season?

If the answer is because I want one... then get a CPL.

If the answer is because I never know when I'll run into a ner-do-well crackhead... then get a CPL.

If you just want to bitch about the policy... then proceed.

Strike Hard...
Strike Fast...
No Mercy, SIR!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 10:48:32 AM »
When fishing for catch and release selected waters is it ok to have barbed hooks in your box?

Offline stumprat

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 10:53:08 AM »
When fishing for catch and release selected waters is it ok to have barbed hooks in your box?

Only with a permit my man. :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 10:53:45 AM »
CFP   Concealed Flies permit

Offline stumprat

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2009, 10:55:04 AM »
Don't give em any ideas. :o

Offline MHWASH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2009, 10:57:05 AM »
I think the point of the law is being missed... my understanding is: Folks were worried about personal safety while in the woods with a bow... not safety from critters... but safety from Tweekers and other unruley types. The point is to allow them to be armed in the same manner as me while I'm in the South Center Mall... not to allow them to pack their .45 LC for shooting the occasional grouse. As the original law was stated... you basically were in violation of the big game statute... even if you're sole purpose for having the sidearm was because you never know who you'll run into breaking into your car while it's parked in Capitol Forrest... now at least that right has been granted (even though it should NOT BE INFRINGED).

At least that's my take on the rule change.... does that make any sense?

+1

I could not have said it any better.

I also believe if you own a gun, any gun, You should be a member of the NRA. Is it required, no, but it makes a whole lot of sence.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2009, 11:01:04 AM »
That is a good point Josh, but I would think that it wouldn't be necessary in a game law.  You should have to practice what current CW laws there are on the books.  I can have a hand gun with me and still be within state guidelines.   

By the way, stairing at a button attached to my monitor..."I'm the NRA and I VOTE"

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2009, 11:01:43 AM »
by t he way, at this point we can debate it all we want....its called resisting arrest. LOL

Offline JoshT

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2009, 12:12:39 PM »
That is a good point Josh, but I would think that it wouldn't be necessary in a game law.  You should have to practice what current CW laws there are on the books.  I can have a hand gun with me and still be within state guidelines.   

I agree... it shouldn't be in a game law. But again... I think the CPL part of it is an attempt to protect the integrity of the Archery and Muzzleloader seasons... that's all. I think the law was made this way to discourage the carrying of "hunting" type pistols... and still apease the wishes of those who'd like to carry a "defense" type pistol. Thereby discouraging folks from hammering a whitetail with a 240 grain SJHP... then saying it was a Zwickey. I know my 9mm is inferior to both a bow and a muzzleloader in the killing and accuracy department, can't say the same for a big ass .44 revolver.

I know... I know... that's catering to the 1%... but what else would you expect from the WDFW? We all know those two definitions ("hunting" type and "defense" type) are quite vague... but my guess is that's the only way the lawmakers could address both sides of the issue. I know you don't need a CPL for open carry in WA... but I think we're getting into a spirit of the law vs. letter of the law thing here.
Strike Hard...
Strike Fast...
No Mercy, SIR!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal