collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is it time to make Bow Seasons same rules as Rifle and Muzzy?  (Read 52451 times)

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Is it time to make Bow Seasons same rules as Rifle and Muzzy?
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2020, 12:48:06 PM »
What Lemondog said

About 5-8 years back I proposed eliminating All the choices and going to a draw system For only one species as to eliminate so many people diluting each category with 3 choices AND get rid of multi season. The idea Got blasted. The mass majority want more choices and are not willing to give them up. Until then we are are stuck with the system most want and the Dept. is doing just that keeping the majority happy so they aren’t to blame.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 03:23:52 PM by M_ray »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2020, 12:54:29 PM »
What Lemondog said

About 5-8 years back I proposed eliminating All the choices and going to a draw system For only one species as to eliminate so many people diluting each category with 3 choices AND get rid of multi season. The idea Got blasted. The mass majority want more choices and are not willing to give them up. Until they are we are stuck with the system most want and the Dept. is doing just that keeping the majority happy so they aren’t to blame.

:yeah:  People want to buy more special draw applications and WDFW is happy to sell them.  Sometimes, we are our worst enemy although there are people that understand the odds and still prefer the existing system.  I would bet that 90% or more of the general hunting population doesn't understand it.

The general tag does represent significant opportunity and there are a bunch of people that cherish hunting every year far and above the quality of experience, length of season, having to chose weapon and side of state, odds of seeing a legal animal or any other metric.  It's a valid position, just not one I personally agree with which is why there won't be significant change.  A bunch want to keep it and a bunch want to change.  The only thing that will actually change is the numbers of tags actually available.

Offline Ironhead

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2020, 01:06:41 PM »
What Lemondog said

About 5-8 years back I proposed eliminating All the choices and going to a draw system For only one species as to eliminate so many people diluting each category with 3 choices AND get rid of multi season. The idea Got blasted. The mass majority want more choices and are not willing to give them up. Until they are we are stuck with the system most want and the Dept. is doing just that keeping the majority happy so they aren’t to blame.

:yeah:  People want to buy more special draw applications and WDFW is happy to sell them.  Sometimes, we are our worst enemy although there are people that understand the odds and still prefer the existing system.  I would bet that 90% or more of the general hunting population doesn't understand it.

The general tag does represent significant opportunity and there are a bunch of people that cherish hunting every year far and above the quality of experience, length of season, having to chose weapon and side of state, odds of seeing a legal animal or any other metric.  It's a valid position, just not one I personally agree with which is why there won't be significant change.  A bunch want to keep it and a bunch want to change.  The only thing that will actually change is the numbers of tags actually available.
Washington is the laughing stock of the West, even California has better Widlife Management!
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2020, 01:31:21 PM »
True, but management and tag scheme are two different issues in my mind.  Tag schemes are pretty much financially driven from what I have seen, states work to maximize the revenue for whatever tags they have available.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2020, 02:08:30 PM »
Changes are on the horizon.  It cant go on as is in the direction its going.

I wish everyone would write in and demand harvest report to include public and private land hunts/success.  It would provide more usable information for hunters who travel and apply for permits. 

Also, I would argue the day they make baiting deer/elk illegal, the harvest success halves.  I mention this because wdfw talk about it each year AT LEAST.  Whitetail hunters in ne wa. will experience wide spread failure, imho.

Offline callturner

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
    • n/a
  • Groups: nra
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2020, 02:28:50 PM »
Go to a draw only system. You put in for what you want, where, and how and if you get drawn you get to hunt. If not, you don't. Problem solved.
That's real good ! I have 22 points for moose and they live in my back yard basically! :bdid:

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2020, 03:30:48 PM »
What Lemondog said

About 5-8 years back I proposed eliminating All the choices and going to a draw system For only one species as to eliminate so many people diluting each category with 3 choices AND get rid of multi season. The idea Got blasted. The mass majority want more choices and are not willing to give them up. Until then we are are stuck with the system most want and the Dept. is doing just that keeping the majority happy so they aren’t to blame.

BTW this suggestion was for 1 choice quality tag and keeping a general season. So really not all that different Than now but it would increase your chances of drawing the quality tag much sooner. We would be drawing a quality hunt every 3-5 years as opposed to 15-20 🤷🏻‍♂️ What’s not to like?

Those that still want ALL their choices don’t understand that taking 3 choices Out of the system from everyone increases their odds and in the same 15-20 year period they would prob have 3 or 4 quality hunts instead.

This is a better option than trying to match weapons and seasons to even opportunity.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2021, 05:44:47 PM »
I’d like to see the whole state be draw only .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Online dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2021, 06:45:10 PM »
I’d like to see the whole state be draw only .
They can’t figure out the revenue gap that would result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2021, 06:48:48 PM »
Changes are on the horizon.  It cant go on as is in the direction its going.

I wish everyone would write in and demand harvest report to include public and private land hunts/success.  It would provide more usable information for hunters who travel and apply for permits. 

Also, I would argue the day they make baiting deer/elk illegal, the harvest success halves.  I mention this because wdfw talk about it each year AT LEAST.  Whitetail hunters in ne wa. will experience wide spread failure, imho.

What makes you think people will stop baiting regardless of law?

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2021, 07:58:46 PM »
For sure I dont think for one minute that baiting will even come close to ending.  It will just become far less obvious.

Offline Seabass

• Scout
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2021, 08:03:37 PM »
Do bow hunter’s kill a disproportionate number of cows?

Online dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2021, 10:28:00 PM »
Do bow hunter’s kill a disproportionate number of cows?
No.  Predators kill too many though.

@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2021, 04:42:59 AM »
It just would be nice to have at least 2 weekends as it starts on a Saturday and ends on a Friday, I would be tickled to have it Saturday through the following Sunday
And no draw only would suck

Online dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2021, 02:52:52 PM »
It used to be two weeks but alas they came up with some silly reason as to why archery season should be less than 14 days.

@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]