collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Region G Wyoming  (Read 4835 times)

Offline crazeymaez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: nra
Region G Wyoming
« on: February 01, 2020, 06:30:22 AM »
Hello if any of you guys can chime in .Im new to this forum board but through the search feature found that a lot of you have hunted Wyoming.I have enough points to draw G this year ,Is I possible to do day hunts out of a wall tent and get into animals?As I am not fond of filtering water and sleeping on the ground.Prefer to hunt hard all day and return to a cot and a cooler of food and beverages .Any info is appreciated.Also if any of you guys need info on NM I have hunted most units in this state or can get info on units or draw questions you need answered.

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
Re: Region G Wyoming
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 06:48:11 AM »
Yes, you just might have a tougher time getting into quality animals and have a little more hunting pressure depending on where you plan on hunting in G.
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 11:48:45 AM »
I've done it a couple times.  The bigger bucks are generally up higher in the alpine basins, a few thousand feet higher than the nearest road.  You can day hike up into there, but it's a grind to do that every day, particularly since you want to be there at first light before the bucks bed for the day.  Last time I was there in 2017, we had a huge snow that pushed the bucks down off the top for a few days.  Biggest buck we saw was relatively low and reachable from a road.  But I think that's more the exception than the norm. 

A lot of the locals wait for 135 to open, which is usually two weeks later than the other G units (Sept 15 versus Oct 1).  That unit is lower with smaller hills.  My sense is 135 is largely hunted from the bottom rather than backcountry style.

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 01:56:05 PM »
I would agree with the other posters. Climbing up to where the bucks live every day will have you tapping out in short order if you don’t connect early in the hunt. You may want to look at other regions if you prefer the comforts of home in camp. :twocents:

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 02:34:07 PM »
Tagging. What’s the bear activity like in this unit? Grizz or just black bears?

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 03:05:38 PM »
Rare sightings of grizz in G. I’ve seen a few black bears there however.

I might add that anybody that’s thinking of hunting G or H that you should make a summertime visit & see what your up against or if it’s your cup of tea a year prior before burning your points.

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 03:08:04 PM »
I imagine the occasional griz probably shows up, but it’s not a known griz area. Definitely some black bears. Saw a giant sow with three cubs a few years ago. Just a great place, see lots of moose, elk, sheep, antelope around the edges, just love it there. 

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 03:14:36 PM »

I might add that anybody that’s thinking of hunting G or H that you should make a summertime visit & see what your up against or if it’s your cup of tea a year prior before burning your points.

That’s good advice. Either that, or just be realistic about expectations and enjoy the experience.  If you need 170+, you pretty much have to go high. If you are okay with a 130-140 buck, you could probably do that from below, but even that is no gimme. Just take a look at the harvest rates, they are way lower than you would think for a place everyone hears about.

Offline crazeymaez

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: nra
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 03:34:35 PM »
Thanks for the responses ,The info you guys are telling me is kind of what I figured.My wife has enough points to draw antelope around Encampment.I may hold on to my points till next year after we do her hunt and can see what the deer herds are like in that area

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 03:44:25 PM »
Many people have unrealistic expectations of G&H on a diy first time setting foot in the country hunt. There are big bucks in that country but finding one is a chore & killing one is an even bigger chore. For every 180+ you see in magazines or on YouTube there are 10 times that many dudes that eat their tags or shoot a small buck for the sake of killing one. Personally I’ve ate tag soup before taking an immature buck from that herd.

I’ve been there enough times to know that expectations will lead to disappointment in the Wyoming range. Leave the expectations at home & enjoy the experience in some of the most beautiful mule deer country anywhere.

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2020, 04:08:53 PM »
It can be done in unit 135. 
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline jjhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 06:25:58 PM »
I day hiked G last year.  Killed a good deer.   Lots of opportunity.

I’d go for it.

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2020, 08:41:35 AM »
You must be a thoroughbred jj? :dunno: :chuckle:

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2020, 10:03:07 AM »
It’s all a matter of how high you want to get in a day and have a higher percentage play at finding better quality deer.  You can find some good deer within a 3 - 5 mile climb.  Doing that day in and day out at 8,000+ feet of elevation is no small feet, even if you’re in mountain shape. And it depends on the year. An early snow might move some of the deer down.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2020, 10:18:59 AM »
 :yeah: It is also far tougher with no firsthand experience or preseason scouting.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal