collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: FFL who will ship?  (Read 446 times)

Offline RobinHoodlum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
FFL who will ship?
« on: February 26, 2020, 09:10:55 PM »
Apologies if this this the wrong place to post and moderators feel free to move.

I'm reaching out to those who buy and sell guns frequently in hopes if finding a gun shop with FFL who is willing to deal with shipping at a reasonable cost? Whatcom, Skagit or Snohomish County.

I appreciate that the new WA gun laws have complicated things for everyone and am not asking for an FFL to 'work for free', but the only time I've sold a gun under the new transfer laws, I was quoted two different prices and then charged more than $100 in the end.

I'm looking to sell a couple older shotguns that will probably go in the sub $500 range on GunBroker. Paying what I did last time is kind of a deal breaker. 

Appreciate any suggestions from fellow members!

Offline Jimmer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Re: FFL who will ship?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 09:26:20 PM »
I sell a lot on GB. My FFL charges me a $20 fee for the transaction and then I pay shipping. Usually into shipping around $50 including the fee and pending on how much insurance. Set the gunbroker auction to whatever shipping costs you want within reason. You’ll just have to call around to different FFL’s around you.

Offline argie1891

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 10:58:27 PM »
you dont need an ffl to ship a rifle or shotgun only handguns... they can be shipped by an individual at fed ex or ups but they charge overnight rates and it can cost upwards of a hundred bucks so ffl is needed.

one other thing to receive you must have it shipped to an ffl

Offline Parasite

• Hunter
  • Mansplainer
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 11:26:23 PM »
Certain states are headaches to ship to. I wont ship anything to California anymore due to added costs.

Offline RobinHoodlum

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 06:52:54 PM »
Thanks for your responses fellas! Sounds like I just need to shop around and be willing to walk if the price changes. Again, would appreciate a local reference if anyone has one.

you dont need an ffl to ship a rifle or shotgun only handguns
. I am not experienced enough to know, but is argie1891's statement true?

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 07:08:10 PM »
I've shipped quite a few rifles to buyers in other states. Always just did it myself, there's no need for an FFL. You just need an FFL on the receiving end. I most recently have been using Fed Ex but in the past also used the United States postal service and also UPS. The cost seems to always be $35 to $40.

Offline Remnar

• Non-Hunting & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 07:21:22 PM »
I've shipped quite a few rifles to buyers in other states. Always just did it myself, there's no need for an FFL. You just need an FFL on the receiving end. I most recently have been using Fed Ex but in the past also used the United States postal service and also UPS. The cost seems to always be $35 to $40.
:yeah

Offline smdave

• Sourdough
    • My Photobooth
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 10:09:42 PM »
Last gun I sold out of state and had to mail it (Handgun) I used the FFL search on Gunbroker.com to find someone local. All you do is put in your zip code. Some have prices listed but you can usually call them and ask.

https://www.gunbroker.com/ffl/index

It is true you can ship a long gun, I shipped one to Germany Rod and Gun Club once.

Here is the ATF Page Item 7,8, and 9 cover shipping.
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons

« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 10:27:10 PM by smdave »
When I pass, do not let my wife sell the guns for what I told her they cost.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 10:14:28 PM »
Thanks for your responses fellas! Sounds like I just need to shop around and be willing to walk if the price changes. Again, would appreciate a local reference if anyone has one.

you dont need an ffl to ship a rifle or shotgun only handguns
. I am not experienced enough to know, but is argie1891's statement true?
Yes.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Thwack

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 10:28:00 PM »
 Check out Shipmygun.com. Just sold a handgun online and used them. Cost me $50 with insurance. I believe long guns are cheaper

Offline Stein

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 08:11:36 AM »
I've also used Gunbroker to find a local FFL.  The best odds are finding a good FFL that operates a small shop or out of his garage part time.  I've used a few and they have always been accommodating and reasonably priced.  The bigger shops just have too much overhead to be able to process guns they don't sell for a reasonable price unless they are willing to do it at a loss as part of their customer service.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics