collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for new pup for upland hunting  (Read 2064 times)

Offline shorthair15

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Looking for new pup for upland hunting
« on: March 27, 2020, 11:51:20 AM »
I think the only way I’m going to get over losing my gsp is to get another dog. Thought about it hard. I’m going train the dog my self as I did before. It’s not the same with out him here. Looked at pudelpointers,wire hairs and gsps. If any one knows some one that breeds gsp let me know thanks.
Member of the NRA,GOA and Washington For Wildlife.NWTF member Disabled US NAVY Veteran 6/2/90 to 6/2/99 3 Good Conduct Medals, and 3 Honorable Discharges, 2 german shorthairs, tikka 6.5 creedmor,Remington 300 ULTRAMAG, GLOCK 22. Elk,Deer and upland birds and love Fishing

Offline jackson7

• Scout
Re: Looking for new pup for upland hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 11:55:04 AM »
having gone through it, getting another lightens the emotional impact.

Offline jagermiester

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 07:24:23 AM »
What kind of hunting do you do?
Lead em if they're running.

Offline 3dvapor

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 08:17:06 AM »
gun dog university has drahthaar (gwps) coming.  I put money down for one of his pups.  He also has started dogs for sale, a couple gsps as well.

Offline shorthair15

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 01:38:07 PM »
Upland hunting quail,chukars and some pheasant.
Member of the NRA,GOA and Washington For Wildlife.NWTF member Disabled US NAVY Veteran 6/2/90 to 6/2/99 3 Good Conduct Medals, and 3 Honorable Discharges, 2 german shorthairs, tikka 6.5 creedmor,Remington 300 ULTRAMAG, GLOCK 22. Elk,Deer and upland birds and love Fishing

Offline ribka

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 02:46:55 PM »
Upland hunting quail,chukars and some pheasant.

Ask Richard , he's a sponsor on here. I like the longer haired versatile breeds now because I hunt water fowl, some small game now too. I personally like closer ranging breeds although some guys don't. Downside is they over heat faster in the early season chasing upland, and the burrs and seeds that get stuck in their coat. It can get pretty bad if not constantly grooming during hunt in some areas. Upside I think they do better in the sub 30 temps and I hunt MT, ND and SD and temps often in low 20's to upper teens and lot tougher on GSp's and shed less. Those tiny GSP hairs can be a pain to clean up.

Ive owned 3 GSP's over the years and better overall stamina, better in hotter weather. I personally think a bit better for chukar type hunting. Downside limited waterfowl , although mine did in earlier season.

If you can find a good breeder that would be key either way. Ive spoken to Bob at cedarwood a few times and am on a wait list but over a year. He can suggest other breeders if you want to give him a call.

Offline shorthair15

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 03:38:45 PM »
I don’t hunt waterfowl any more. So upland birds is it. I’ve looked at other breeds wirehair or German shorthair is what I’m interested in.

Offline bigdub257

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF;Ducks Unlimited
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 04:04:24 PM »
Might talk to Tom at Idawire. (https://www.idawire.com/index.html) They aren't actively breeding any litters at this time due to a career move to Texas, but per their site are involved in co-breeding some litters.  Tom is a great guy and very knowledgeable and passionate about GWP's.  I have one of their dogs who is now 3 years and she is a hunting fool whether it be waterfowl or upland.  Great family dog also.

Offline riflehunter

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 05:49:44 PM »
If you go with wire hair I strongly suggest you look at griffons. They know how to lounge and be house pets but turn it in in the field. Very smart and easily trainable. Plus super good looking dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ribka

• Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 06:12:09 PM »
If you go with wire hair I strongly suggest you look at griffons. They know how to lounge and be house pets but turn it in in the field. Very smart and easily trainable. Plus super good looking dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a bit of a bias for griffs :chuckle:

Offline jagermiester

• Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 10:17:42 PM »
Can’t go wrong with a GWP
Check out 3 devils in Idaho.
Lead em if they're running.

Offline Onewhohikes

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 05:42:00 AM »
Go with a Brittany you wont be sorry

Offline shorthair15

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 01:36:25 PM »
Being a disabled vet with a bad back messed up left hand I was lucky to get my last dog for the price I did. Maybe will get lucky later and some one will give me a discounted pup. Looked at one on the weekend they wanted 1000.00 I’m sure this is what they run for now. Not ask g for a hand out just some understanding thanks

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal