collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fishing Closure, what other options were available?  (Read 13984 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Fishing Closure, what other options were available?
« on: March 27, 2020, 08:25:09 PM »
I am still struggling with the fishing closure trying to figure why all fishing was closed because there were bank fishermen to close to each other in a few places? So why not offer WDFW some better options and see if they will modify the closure?

Here's some options:

- A fisherman cannot fish within six (6) feet of anyone you do not live with.
- A maximum travel distance restriction or 'must fish in your county of residence'.
- Salmon and steelhead fishing closed due to social distancing preventing checking requirements
- Salmon and steelhead fishermen required to observe social distancing during checking requirements
- Travel Advisory: Take food with you, when you fuel up do not enter quick stops, wear gloves or sanitize hands after fueling

That seems pretty darn simple... any other ideas?

« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 08:39:41 AM by bearpaw »
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw) for spring bear, fall bear, buffalo, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered.

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Fishing Closure, what other options were available?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 08:33:12 PM »
Exactly, just a stupid decision that makes things easier for them.  Look at,I think its Missouri?  Giving away fishing licenses and turkey tags!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 10:46:03 PM by Limhangerslayer »

Offline ghosthunter

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 09:01:45 PM »
I agree stupid.

But I donít think it has anything to do with distance between fisherman. I think it is a travel issue. Lots of folks travel east to fish and I think that is what they donít want.

Lots of gas stops, and such spreading  the CV around.

Still donít like it.

GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 09:03:09 PM »
From Colorado Parks and Wildlife
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline jennabug

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 09:21:39 PM »
I was wondering if they could add a max travel distance requirement, or 'must fish in your county of residence'.

10' distance from others, excluding those that share a residence.

Offline Badhabit

• Political Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 09:37:39 PM »
Isn't Mardon at the Potholes a private launch?

Offline Bango skank

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 09:44:39 PM »
I was wondering if they could add a max travel distance requirement, or 'must fish in your county of residence'.

10' distance from others, excluding those that share a residence.

It would be nice, but unrealistic.  Not enough game cops to be able to card everybody out fishing to confirm their county of residence .  Pretty much unenforcable.

Offline Sandberm

• Political Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 10:14:52 PM »
I am still struggling with the fishing closure trying to figure why all fishing was closed because there were bank fishermen to close to each other in a few places? So why not offer WDFW some better options and see if they will modify the closure?

Here's the first option I thought of:

A fisherman cannot fish within six (6) feet of anyone you do not live with.

How is it two nights ago I got told I was a selfish "me me me" sob because I did not agree with the fishing ban but you do not get the same treatment?

Offline Bango skank

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 10:21:18 PM »

How is it two nights ago I got told I was a selfish "me me me" sob because I did not agree with the fishing ban but you do not get the same treatment?

Public opinion and general standards seem to change quick with the threat of turjey and spring bear shutdowns, dont they?  Seems like a lot more support for the "me me me" sentiment.  Funny how that works.

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 10:31:23 PM »
 :yeah:

I guess more people turkey hunt than fish. Ironically, the average distance driven to turkey hunt is probably much higher than that for fishing.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 06:26:38 AM »
I still have a hard time buying into the belief all these sportsman related closures had anything to do with slowing the virus.
So I guess the other option would of been to just leave it alone.

Offline Dysfunctional Vet

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2020, 07:27:17 AM »
They closed all fishing because people wonít do the right thing. Itís rare that anyone ever does.
The VA
   Giving veterans a second chance to die for their country since 1930.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2020, 07:27:40 AM »

I'm not sure what happened to you, but I am trying to offer sensible options, the governor did tell people to get outdoors but then they shut down fishing, I am told because a few spots had bank fishermen next to each other. Maybe some better options could have been considered? Actually I'm not even planning a fishing trip, but I'm thinking about other people who could be fishing and still not in any danger if social distancing is exercised.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw) for spring bear, fall bear, buffalo, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
    • https://www.facebook.com/russell.mcdonald.90
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2020, 07:33:52 AM »
This was the letter thay came out from the WDFW director.
Temporarily closing fishing and access to wildlife areas and water access sites was a difficult decision for DFW because we know how important these areas and opportunities are to you.  The health and well-being of all Washingtonians is critically important to us, especially in this time of stress and uncertainty.

This closure is crucial to implementing the Governorís Stay Home, Stay Healthy order and limit on non-essential travel.  Over the last weeks,  weíve seen large crowds at our stateís coastal beaches and riverbanks as people seek an outdoor get away.  In fact, in some places, it has been busier than we see in the peak of summer.

Some closures of recreational fishing were also legally necessary, as our staff are not able to conduct adequate fish sampling and monitoring under the Governor's order.  Many salmon and steelhead fisheries require regular monitoring under the Endangered Species Act (ESA), which includes conducting angler interviews at access sites surrounding the stateís marine waters.  The on-site, face-to-face nature of angler interviews puts people at risk of transmitting the coronavirus.  Without this monitoring, recreational fisheries need to close, consistent with our ESA permits that allow fisheries.

Fishing, boating, or hiking on public lands generally wouldnít violate social distancing guidance. But itís important to consider all the elements that go along with these activities:  leaving the house and driving to a boat ramp, stopping on the way to buy ice or gear, helping the angler on the boat ramp in front of you, filling up for gas, and visiting the local grocery store.  All of these interactions put you and local communities at risk. 

In addition, the influx of use that we witnessed over the weekend of March 21-22 created congested outdoor experiences very unlike what would normally be experienced.  We need to protect all Washingtonians, including coastal and rural communities that were being overwhelmed with out-of-area visitors.  We are cognizant of the impact of people travelling from highly impacted coronavirus areas to places that have just a handful of cases, and what it would mean to the healthcare system in those rural communities.  In addition, the influx of people shopping in local rural markets has a direct impact on seniors trying to buy food as close to home as possible.

So, please stay home and stay healthy.  You have a role in saving lives in your community and statewide. We wish for you and your friends and family to stay healthy too, so that you can return to the waterways and lands we all value once we return to normal.

We will revisit the closures to our lands recreational fishing on April 6, 2020.  For the latest information around our response to impacts from the spread of COVID-19, please continue to visit https://wdfw.wa.gov/about/covid-19-updates.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2020, 07:35:20 AM »

I'm not sure what happened to you, but I am trying to offer sensible options, the governor did tell people to get outdoors but then they shut down fishing, I am told because a few spots had bank fishermen next to each other. Maybe some better options could have been considered? Actually I'm not even planning a fishing trip, but I'm thinking about other people who could be fishing and still not in any danger if social distancing is exercised.
A good number of westside rivers for steelhead only really have a limited number of spots that hold fish.  5% ? of the river has the structure for them and that's being generous, the rest is just for passing through.  Of those spots, only a certain percentage are accessible to walking, have enough bank, not too brushy, not on private property, etc.  Tough for people that want to catch fish to spread out.  If it was a muddy river for catfish, you could probably spread everyone out.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

WTB Remington 870 EM by TooTallMike
[Today at 02:16:00 AM]

FS New in Box Westin HDX brushguard for RAM 1500 09 or newer by BullMagnet76
[Yesterday at 11:15:37 PM]

Halibut fishing Area 7 by lokidog
[Yesterday at 10:43:43 PM]

WTB manual 4x4 truck/SUV by quackkiller
[Yesterday at 10:37:51 PM]

Olympic National Park Goat Hunt Group Anyone? by Limhangerslayer
[Yesterday at 10:34:25 PM]