collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fishing Closure, what other options were available?  (Read 14107 times)

Offline Bullkllr

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Fishing Closure, what other options were available?
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2020, 10:52:51 AM »
There are plenty of ways to responsibly go fishing, just like there are responsible and irresponsible ways to grocery shop, get gas, and even work.
Couldn't agree more!

Unfortunately, EVERYONE doesnít follow those responsible ways and is why non essential public places are closed.

That's the point. I can guarantee there is more transmission happening in the "essential" locations than would ever happen in the "non-essential" ones.
That's precisely the point I have been trying to make since the fishing closure discussion began.
"yoogle that on your google"

Offline Stein

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2020, 10:58:38 AM »
There is also a point that some transmissions have been prevented by the closure.  Staying home prevents transmission, washing hands prevents transmission, it all slows down the transmission.  Instead of expecting perfection during the first US pandemic in a long time, it would more helpful for all of us to help fix the broken things.  We can chose to not go to crowded trailheads, drive through coffee and inside of grocery stores.  All these are choices we make, not the government and they will all make some impact.

I would rather be fishing right now, but on the big scale of life it isn't a big sacrifice.

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2020, 11:09:13 AM »
Are pet stores open?  I'd like to buy a goldfish.
Petco is open. Goldfish abound. Essentially nonessential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2020, 11:34:41 AM »

No more so than flowers if it meets personal and emotional needs.   I suppose PETA would disagree if they caught on.
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline Stein

• Old Salt
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2020, 11:43:24 AM »
My guess is that people with pets would consider stores that sell food for their pets pretty essential.  Like grocery stores, delivery or curbside would be the way to go.

Offline Bullkllr

• Political Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2020, 11:45:28 AM »
There is also a point that some transmissions have been prevented by the closure.  Staying home prevents transmission, washing hands prevents transmission, it all slows down the transmission.  Instead of expecting perfection during the first US pandemic in a long time, it would more helpful for all of us to help fix the broken things.  We can chose to not go to crowded trailheads, drive through coffee and inside of grocery stores.  All these are choices we make, not the government and they will all make some impact.
Thanks for being a voice of reason.

I would rather be fishing right now, but on the big scale of life it isn't a big sacrifice.

Big picture, this is certainly true and I support the closure. I think what sits wrong with me is that small sacrifice seems to be diminished near completely by the myriad of nonessential essentials that lead to multiple interactions/transmission opportunities all around us. It's almost like someone is saying "transmission from fishing=bad, transmission from weed store=OK". It's a philosophical point, and I likely need to get over it even if I see the wrong.

Back on topic- with our current population- I can't see anything other than a complete closure really being workable.
"yoogle that on your google"

Offline walt

• Longhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2020, 11:46:14 AM »
I think they really need to be running a Public Service Announcement campaign.  Tell the people what is going on, what and what not to do, and why it's important.  Have the experts and officials explain the situation, how we got here, how to get through it,...  Give links to other resources.  Run the ads often, share it on social media, get the word out.  Add in a non-emergency hotline and a "see something say something" campaign. Now the whole state is keeping each other in check and understands the reasons why.  If they had done this already they wouldn't need to close fishing or hiking trails.  I'm guessing an actual leader could pull this off in a couple of days. 

Offline Stein

• Old Salt
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2020, 11:56:17 AM »
I think they really need to be running a Public Service Announcement campaign.  Tell the people what is going on, what and what not to do, and why it's important.  Have the experts and officials explain the situation, how we got here, how to get through it,...  Give links to other resources.  Run the ads often, share it on social media, get the word out.  Add in a non-emergency hotline and a "see something say something" campaign. Now the whole state is keeping each other in check and understands the reasons why.  If they had done this already they wouldn't need to close fishing or hiking trails.  I'm guessing an actual leader could pull this off in a couple of days.

:yeah:

Honestly, a bunch of people aren't paying that close of attention and aren't doing tons of research.  If Inslee says go for a hike, they will drive to where they go for hikes.  If he says stores are open, they will go shop.

The message needs to be stay away from people.  Count the number of people you don't live with that you interact every day.  For each of those, try to find a way to not do that thing.

Then, give a ton of examples of easy stuff - delivery and drop on the porch instead of going to the store.  Walk around your neighborhood instead of a busy trail.  Don't drive more than 10 minutes for any recreation.  Buy 2 weeks of groceries instead of 2 days.

Offline dilleytech

• Scout
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2020, 12:13:33 PM »

My wife runs a petco. They are open 10-5. And having the best sells they have ever seen. Thereís a limit to how much you can buy and itís pretty much just the essentials  like pet food. Pet supply stores seem very essential.

Offline JeffRaines

• Scout
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2020, 12:19:05 PM »

:yeah:

Honestly, a bunch of people aren't paying that close of attention and aren't doing tons of research.  If Inslee says go for a hike, they will drive to where they go for hikes.  If he says stores are open, they will go shop.

The message needs to be stay away from people.  Count the number of people you don't live with that you interact every day.  For each of those, try to find a way to not do that thing.

Then, give a ton of examples of easy stuff - delivery and drop on the porch instead of going to the store.  Walk around your neighborhood instead of a busy trail.  Don't drive more than 10 minutes for any recreation.  Buy 2 weeks of groceries instead of 2 days.

Playing devils advocate here - when did they ever drop the emphasis on social distancing? Iím pretty sure we were told to stay 6 feet away from anyone while youíre out hiking and whatnot... and yet it changed nothing for a lot of people.

You still had people making their ďsocial distancingĒ destination some trailhead off 90 like that was going to be low traffic, and then when the people got there and seen a parking lot full of cars they decided ďwell Iím good we can stay away from othersĒ meanwhile theyíre passing a hundred people on a trail I know is less than 6 feet wide.

The issue isnít the message being communicated - itís peopleís inherent stupidity and stubbornness.

This isnít a defense of Inslee because we all know how great that guy is :rolleyes:, but the issue isnít the message thatís being communicated. You would still have the same issue even in your scenario because people will be people. It canít happen to them, it doesnít apply to them because they donít feel sick, they shouldnít have a quarantine because itís unfair, the list goes on and on.

Offline walt

• Longhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2020, 12:38:29 PM »
The message went out at 4:30 on Friday afternoon and it wasn't a stay home order.  He asked people to use their judgement, not to gather in large groups, observe social distancing, and to go play outside.  The stay at home order didn't come out until Monday.  There wasn't and still isn't an emphasis on educating the public. 

Offline Stein

• Old Salt
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2020, 12:46:59 PM »
I haven't seen any public service info coming from the state or fed on how to best protect yourself.  It's out there, but you have to find the sources, figure out which ones have the best advice and interpret it.

There is a bunch of stuff that should be going out now in addition to 6'.  If you say, stay 6' away, but go to the store where you have to get within 6' of people, the message is that there really isn't a message.  How should people get groceries?  How should they clean stuff coming into the house?  What cleaners are effective and how should they be used?  What should they do if they don't have access to those cleaners?

My point is you can't say stay 6' away and then say go to the store, go to the park, go to your job, go for a hike, etc.  The governor isn't even giving press conferences on any sort of schedule and when he does, there isn't much information.

On the federal level, we have a group of 10 people all standing next to each other talking about how we should stay away from each other.

Offline Hilltop123

• Sourdough
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2020, 12:56:23 PM »
Drive around and keep an eye out for a$$ holes. This happened in the last few days.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2020, 12:58:24 PM »
Inslee is to busy signing bills into law to keep us updated on covid.

Offline Hilltop123

• Sourdough
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2020, 12:59:03 PM »
Can someone with better tech skills, flip that pic for me, pleas.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

WDFW passes on culling Wedge wolf pack by Utah
[Today at 12:47:30 AM]

new pups by HighlandLofts
[Today at 12:10:46 AM]

Selected by MeatMissile
[Today at 12:08:10 AM]

Sbr question by NWShooter
[Yesterday at 11:49:51 PM]

Wicked light success by Utah
[Yesterday at 11:39:43 PM]