collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fishing Closure, what other options were available?  (Read 14113 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Legend
  • Groups: WSB RMGA NRA RMEF BHA
Re: Fishing Closure, what other options were available?
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2020, 11:18:25 AM »
From Bullkllrís website

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2020, 11:23:28 AM »
No problem, tough to not be at least a bit on edge these days.  A boat ride sounds pretty enjoyable right now, but I'm parked in the garage until it makes sense to do stuff like go to the gas station when you don't have to.

Same here and I 100% agree! I was all geared up for my war on blackmouth and determined to start bringing in limits. Iíve organized all my tackle boxes multiple times only to bring them back out and find a better way to fit all the other tackle that doesnít really catch fish anyways...🤣
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

ďPatrick Mahomes is what Seahawks fans think Russell Wilson is.Ē

Offline Stein

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2020, 12:12:03 PM »
Doesn't surprise me Jackelope, it's human nature.  The top 5 states all had F's until it became a big problem, I can't think of too many examples in the US where a jurisdiction was ahead of it.

There are also certain politicians running with the message that it's someone else's problem and they are bringing it into our area - aka, not my fault, it's an outside invader.  Yeah, duh, join the club unless you were case 0.  Go ahead and pretend it isn't circulating all around you.

It's election year and there is way too much campaigning going on at the federal and state level and denial all around. 

This is one of the reasons the response has to be driven at the federal level, they have the ability to spend the money earlier and can jump on stuff like testing, chasing and follow-up when that level of activity is difficult to do.  ID and MT aren't going to dump $100M into testing and chasing cases around right now, they don't have the money or resources and can't raise taxes to do it.

Just think where we would be now if in January we spent $200 billion on testing and chasing positives around right as it started, 1/10 of the most recent bailout.  I think that's the lesson here and I'm not sure it's getting digested much.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2020, 12:34:38 PM »
The World Health Organization declared global health emergency ca. Jan. 31, 2020, and a global pandemic on Mar. 11, 2020.  Lot of good ideas here - for future reference - but let's not rewrite history and pretend we could do a bunch of testing with tests that did not exist or take actions before we even knew of the extent.

And, as much as it pains me to admit, Inslee and WA did a pretty good job ID'ing and tracing cases early on.  Until it was out in the community.

Offline Stein

• Old Salt
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2020, 12:45:02 PM »
The World Health Organization declared global health emergency ca. Jan. 31, 2020, and a global pandemic on Mar. 11, 2020.  Lot of good ideas here - for future reference - but let's not rewrite history and pretend we could do a bunch of testing with tests that did not exist or take actions before we even knew of the extent.

And, as much as it pains me to admit, Inslee and WA did a pretty good job ID'ing and tracing cases early on.  Until it was out in the community.

There were all kinds of tests available once it left China.  I agree Inslee did a pretty good job, only he didn't have the resources to do a great job.  When we see China building a hospital in 10 days, we knew there was a threat.  Once it left China and we saw what it does in a retirement home, we knew it was a threat to us.  The DNA was sequenced in January and here we are almost in April still running around and looking for test kits and which ones we will use.

If there was nothing anyone could do, then we wouldn't have seen other countries like South Korea and Japan snuff it out.  The federal government is still telling people to not get tested if they don't show symptoms.  The only reason is we STILL don't have enough tests available. 

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2020, 12:51:33 PM »
Nobody said there was nothing anyone could do.  You like ideal, unrealistic suggestions.  How much of it was practical, given what we knew at the time (first case in U.S., Jan. 21)?

How would lockdown and a $200 B bill go down with one case in the U.S., when we can't even get people to lockdown now, and a relief package bill takes more than a week of playing politics?

Offline JeffRaines

• Scout
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2020, 01:26:45 PM »
Nobody said there was nothing anyone could do.  You like ideal, unrealistic suggestions.  How much of it was practical, given what we knew at the time (first case in U.S., Jan. 21)?

How would lockdown and a $200 B bill go down with one case in the U.S., when we can't even get people to lockdown now, and a relief package bill takes more than a week of playing politics?

I think the point heís trying to make is that maybe the lockdown wouldnít have been so bad had we reacted sooner.

We can sit here and presume that ďwe didnít know about itĒ - but explain to me how our intelligence didnít know about it when they knew what Solemani was up to and could make a decision to have him taken out? How we didnít know about it but it was on the news in late December? I just donít buy it... next thing was everyone yelling itís a democratic hoax aimed at smearing the presidents name by tanking the stock market! Those darn democrats are so committed to the hoax that theyíre killing a person every 10 minutes in New York City. Man thatís commitment!

I hope I dont come off as a Democrat, Iím just calling a spade a spade. Iím not going to sit here and make excuses for what was a total blunder and a waste of two months(and only counting two months is conservative, Iíd be willing to bet our intelligence knew of it beforehand) of prep time.

Offline Stein

• Old Salt
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2020, 01:38:26 PM »
Didn't we have the same info South Korea and Japan had.  Couldn't we use the test kits China, Japan and South Korea did?  What wasn't available was American made test kits approved by the FDA in any sort of quantity necessary.  That was a problem of our own making.

By the time it hit the US we had the DNA sequencing, rough numbers on transmission and death rates and testing available.  What we didn't have is funding, a federal response, or even an acknowledgement of the facts.  We can argue what level we are willing to respond with, but we cannot argue that there were not options available that we did not take.

In their defense, this is the first time we have had to deal with it.  Japan, China and South Korea all have done this before and knew then what we know now, it can happen to us.  In Trump's defense, he did shut incoming travel somewhat quickly.  Unfortunately, we need to be very right at the beginning or a few key mistakes pretty much puts us where we are, the most infected country on the planet.

The important point is that we need to develop a nationwide response to future virus problems.  We can't try to tackle this state by state, we need to come in with guns blazing at the beginning and we will save a ton of money and lives.

Offline hard hunter

• Scout
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2020, 02:17:36 PM »
This is an observation from a friend of mine that has a house in Pacific Co.

According to him:  The locals got complained to the health department to get them to cancel the razor clam dig a day before it was to happen because the locals were scared of the virus.  The health department has DFW cancel the dig.  The people that planned to come for the dig still came and filled the towns and beaches due to the last minute cancelation and people wanting to be out of their houses and kids are out of school.  The locals freaked and complained to the health department again and the beaches and all types of fishing are closed. 

Just his take.

I personally would love to be able to go surf perch fishing, easily 6 feet plus in distance and still get to relax.

Offline bassquatch

• Sourdough
  • C-YA!
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2020, 04:30:33 PM »
All I know is in the future (which we can actually affect) the next time a single case pops up ANYWHERE we better put a damn jar over the place!! Immediately stop all air, train and bus travel in and out of the area and within 24 hours! Or drop a nuke, whichever is faster?

Offline CP

• Old Salt
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2020, 04:40:22 PM »
All I know is in the future (which we can actually affect) the next time a single case pops up ANYWHERE we better put a damn jar over the place!! Immediately stop all air, train and bus travel in and out of the area and within 24 hours! Or drop a nuke, whichever is faster?

Like this?

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2020, 04:59:16 PM »
Ben Franklin craft store open. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
craft and fabric places are open because of all the volunteers making masks.  (what I heard anyways)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Legend
  • Groups: WSB RMGA NRA RMEF BHA
« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2020, 05:24:42 PM »
Ben Franklin is giving away materials to make masks.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bassquatch

• Sourdough
  • C-YA!
« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2020, 05:35:17 PM »

Like this?

Ok, just a jar then!  :yike:

Offline Gobble Doc

• Frontiersman
« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2020, 08:11:17 PM »
Ben Franklin is giving away materials to make masks.
If they are giving it away they could set it in the porch and close shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Knight Bighorn sale by huntnphool
[Today at 01:16:05 AM]

WDFW passes on culling Wedge wolf pack by Utah
[Today at 12:47:30 AM]

new pups by HighlandLofts
[Today at 12:10:46 AM]

Selected by MeatMissile
[Today at 12:08:10 AM]

Sbr question by NWShooter