collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fishing Closure, what other options were available?  (Read 14126 times)

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• Doug
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Doug
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
Re: Fishing Closure, what other options were available?
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2020, 12:07:21 AM »
Who wants to go fishing, if there's no one around to Brag or Lie to!  :'(
Doug
The Wild Beasts of the Field,
The Birds of the Air, the Fish of the Sea
and whatsoever walks in the Paths of the Sea, There follow I.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2020, 07:28:52 AM »
Nobody said there was nothing anyone could do.  You like ideal, unrealistic suggestions.  How much of it was practical, given what we knew at the time (first case in U.S., Jan. 21)?

How would lockdown and a $200 B bill go down with one case in the U.S., when we can't even get people to lockdown now, and a relief package bill takes more than a week of playing politics?

I think the point hes trying to make is that maybe the lockdown wouldnt have been so bad had we reacted sooner.

There are a lot of ideal outcomes to hope for, including zero deaths, etc.  Problem is that the ideal outcomes are unrealistic. And everyone is short on the critical, helpful part, "How?"

You don't just pull $200B out of your butt in DC, when you only have 1 or 0 infections, and the machine is still acting business as usual. 

We quickly forget.

While this was cooking off in China, what was the IC focused on, besides killing terrorists?  Impeaching your President.

On December 18, 2019, a few days before China finally fessed up, House impeached.  On February 5, 2020, the Senate ended the farce, about a week after the President started travel restrictions from China, while detractors were more worried about diversity and racism.

Point is, anyone expecting a $200B to drop during their impeachment circus with zero cases in the US is more than a bit unrealistic. 

Conjuring up revisionist history is of no value to anyone.

Anyone purporting to have ideal goal goals or suggestions for the time should be asked how, given the realities at the time.

Offline Stein

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2020, 08:37:41 AM »
It's learning from our mistakes.  The countries that are doing well now acted decisively and early.  It's cheaper by far and results in far fewer deaths.  The countries in the east have seen this and adapted, I hope we do.

I'm not trying to rewrite history, just trying to avoid repeating it next time.  We had plenty of options and what we did isn't working out.  Let's not do that again.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2020, 10:09:00 AM »
Agreed, to an extent.  I am working on an analysis of S. Korea and Japan and their actions, in an effort to understand how and why they appear to have successes with coronavirus that we have not.  The early bureaucratic failures of the  FDA in the testing debacle are already well-documented, and I will try to not continue to thread jack these threads in the Non-Hunting section.  I'll post it up in the Political Discussions probably later tonight.  Have "non-essential" work to do.

:tup:

Offline Stein

• Old Salt
« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2020, 11:08:01 AM »
Yeah, I'll be interested to see what you dig up.  A thing I keep in mind is that although they are doing well now, they have to stay on it or it will just pop right back up.  We'll see how effective they are, my guess is their population would have no problem doing whatever necessary as they sit back and watch Europe right now.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2020, 11:43:07 AM »
Agreed, to an extent.  I am working on an analysis of S. Korea and Japan and their actions, in an effort to understand how and why they appear to have successes with coronavirus that we have not.  The early bureaucratic failures of the  FDA in the testing debacle are already well-documented, and I will try to not continue to thread jack these threads in the Non-Hunting section.  I'll post it up in the Political Discussions probably later tonight.  Have "non-essential" work to do.

:tup:
I have many Korean customers and they are all telling me the same thing. EVERYONE is required to wear masks. Businesses are required to run tighter hours so they can sanitize before and after hours, along with stay home orders and all the other stuff.  Please note that this is all second hand information but probably fairly accurate.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2020, 11:45:50 AM »
And by "required," it seems that mere suggestion is enough to get people to comply.

I've also seen anecdotal reports of temperature screening and aggressive isolating and tracing in S. Korea, I believe. 

S. Korea and Japan seem to vary to some degree in their responses.  But at first glance, it looks like a combination of cultural differences, timing, governmental structure differences, testing/screening (S. Korea) differences, rapid treatment approvals versus bureaucratic sloth, demographics such as population density, may explain a lot of the differences with the U.S.

Offline Stein

• Old Salt
« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2020, 11:47:44 AM »
I sure hope our numbers end up closer to South Korea than Italy or Spain.  I ran their deaths/million against our population and it wasn't pretty.

Online cbond3318

• Political Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2020, 11:53:02 AM »
I sure hope our numbers end up closer to South Korea than Italy or Spain.  I ran their deaths/million against our population and it wasn't pretty.

Trump's team has stated if we keep deaths between 100k and 200k we've won. That hit hard.
Just tend your own and live.

Online JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2020, 12:03:44 PM »
And by "required," it seems that mere suggestion is enough to get people to comply.

I've also seen anecdotal reports of temperature screening and aggressive isolating and tracing in S. Korea, I believe. 

S. Korea and Japan seem to vary to some degree in their responses.  But at first glance, it looks like a combination of cultural differences, timing, governmental structure differences, testing/screening (S. Korea) differences, rapid treatment approvals versus bureaucratic sloth, demographics such as population density, may explain a lot of the differences with the U.S.
I saw something elsewhere about South Korea and Japan weathering this a little better because of diet.  They eat lots of seafood, particularly shellfish.  The fatty fish in their diets provide a lot of Vitamin D3 and the shellfish provided a different compound or mineral that supposedly might be a boost to their immune systems. 

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2020, 12:27:52 PM »

I saw something elsewhere about South Korea and Japan weathering this a little better because of diet.  They eat lots of seafood, particularly shellfish.  The fatty fish in their diets provide a lot of Vitamin D3 and the shellfish provided a different compound or mineral that supposedly might be a boost to their immune systems.

Bummer that I can't go clamming on the beach that I can walk to, or fishing in the ocean that surrounds my house....    :sry:

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • My posts do not reflect an official opinion of HW
« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2020, 12:30:56 PM »

Bummer that I can't go clamming on the beach that I can walk to, or fishing in the ocean that surrounds my house....    :sry:

Susewind said: "just because you live on the beach doesn't make it fair to those who do not, and cannot fish (or clam) due to this order" 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Legend
  • Groups: WSB RMGA NRA RMEF BHA
« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2020, 12:34:34 PM »

We are currently at 9 deaths per million people. Italy is at 192 and Spain is at 157. World average is 4.4. Italy and Spain have been dealing with lots of deaths for a while now, which I think puts us in mostly the same time frame as them. I think if we were going to have massive death counts, we would have by now. At least seen the start of it. I'm not seeing it.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Stein

• Old Salt
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2020, 12:46:46 PM »
It looks like we are at least a week behind, depending on how you measure it.  Depending on what you look at their cases took off at least one week, maybe 10-14 days before we did.  Hard to tell though, testing differences could skew it one way or another.

Every day we don't explode gives some hope for sure.  It looks like Spain may have clearly peaked already.  Italy is still looking strange, like a peak and hold.

Many countries in Europe have four times the number of infections per capita we do.

Online JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2020, 12:52:27 PM »

Susewind said: "just because you live on the beach doesn't make it fair to those who do not, and cannot fish (or clam) due to this order" 
I think of it differently, because if a person had it in their long range plans to live near water for fishing or near the forest for hunting (as an act of preparedness) they shouldn't be penalized.
A slight stretch, but similar thinking---because you have an orchard doesn't make it fair to those that don't and can't eat apples.  It is a trade off thing when people decided on careers and where they want to live.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Is this a big bear by Jonathan_S
[Today at 10:36:13 AM]

.280ai vs 6.5PRC by Jonathan_S
[Today at 10:34:13 AM]

Idaho Moose Unit 2, Mt Spokane North/South info by bornhunter
[Today at 10:31:45 AM]

Bighorn Sheep - Idaho by trophyhunt
[Today at 10:07:30 AM]

MA 10 Coho by funkster
[Today at 09:51:17 AM]