collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fishing Closure, what other options were available?  (Read 13940 times)

Offline Stein

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
Re: Fishing Closure, what other options were available?
« Reply #165 on: April 03, 2020, 10:43:46 AM »
Yeah, it isn't the big red easy button for sure.  On the other side of the coin it did help somewhat.  I think it delayed what was going on and in the future hopefully we can act quicker to take better advantage of that.  I see it like a forest fire starting, we had a little flare up that we were fighting here in WA, shut down a few areas on the other side of the forest that were throwing sparks and then basically sat on our butt until we turned around and were surprised to see flames everywhere.

Hopefully we find a way to stuff a mountain of gloves and masks in some warehouses around the US.  I hope we actually do things differently instead of just forgetting about it in a year.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #166 on: April 03, 2020, 10:48:28 AM »
I would imagine that the Lunar New Year inflates that a bit for January/February.

Offline Sandberm

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #167 on: April 03, 2020, 11:07:28 AM »
I saw a guy in a boat fishing at a remote pond i like to walk the dog at yesterday afternoon. He was also camping, which would be legal at this spot. After I pulled in, another pickup with a boat in the back and a man and a woman showed up. We all minded our own business, never getting more then about 300 ft from each other.

I haven't gone fishing since the ban and i will respect the governors request not to, though I do not agree with it.

My most selfish act in all this, gas pump handles. I still drive daily to one of my remote spots to walk the dog or to visit my 87 y.o. mom who hasn't gone anywhere in 3.5 weeks and lives alone. Besides me, she has had no other human contact besides the phone, of which she has a hard time hearing so phone conversations can be difficult for her. This isnt healthy for her to be alone, now it is stretching out another 4 weeks?

I'm just applying common sense to my daily actions. I look at the figures of people infected and dying in my area daily so I know what is going on. By the way...50 confirmed or suspected cases in Franklin county, 0 deaths.

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #168 on: April 03, 2020, 11:13:54 AM »
I saw a guy in a boat fishing at a remote pond i like to walk the dog at yesterday afternoon. He was also camping, which would be legal at this spot. After I pulled in, another pickup with a boat in the back and a man and a woman showed up. We all minded our own business, never getting more then about 300 ft from each other.

I haven't gone fishing since the ban and i will respect the governors request not to, though I do not agree with it.

My most selfish act in all this, gas pump handles. I still drive daily to one of my remote spots to walk the dog or to visit my 87 y.o. mom who hasn't gone anywhere in 3.5 weeks and lives alone. Besides me, she has had no other human contact besides the phone, of which she has a hard time hearing so phone conversations can be difficult for her. This isnt healthy for her to be alone, now it is stretching out another 4 weeks?

I'm just applying common sense to my daily actions. I look at the figures of people infected and dying in my area daily so I know what is going on. By the way...50 confirmed or suspected cases in Franklin county, 0 deaths.

Costco seems to be doing a good job, at least when I was in last week. They had an extra attendant and both would wipe the handle and the touchscreen down after each customer.

Offline Sandberm

• Political Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #169 on: April 03, 2020, 11:39:21 AM »
I last went to the grocery store (Winco in Richland at 6:30 am) 3 weeks ago today when I could tell that there would be a run on food. My wife has been a couple times a week since to Walmart, Grocery Outlet or Target to pickup a few things. She went back to Winco this morning for one last trip to see us through what I figure to be "Peak Death" + 2 weeks which will get us to May.

Winco only lets 50 shoppers in at a time with strict restrictions on spacing at the checkout. It was a pain in the butt according to the wife. Half the shoppers had face masks on and a more than half wore gloves of some sort.  No Ham hocks in stock :( I was hoping to make a pot of beans. No tp. No Tiger Sauce. I got restocked with Hot Pockets.

By the way, Benton county has 147 probable or confirmed cases with 9 deaths. All deaths have been to people over 70, with 5 of them in retirement homes.

Offline nwwanderer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #170 on: April 04, 2020, 09:07:05 AM »
The state claims to own every drop of water, sure you get a 1200 or 5000 gallon exemption depending on where you live, but only because they say so.  The feds were going down the same path but have slowed down with the current administrations order to back off on the WOTUS, waters of the united states.  If I try to do anything with any water on private ground the DOE and WDFW take their shots.  Even under a flood emergency, permits were required and in the future the state may force any changes I made during the emergency to be redone, all on my dime.  This could be a book, enough.  Welcome to Washington

Offline Russ McDonald

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
    • https://www.facebook.com/russell.mcdonald.90
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2020, 09:19:07 AM »
Lets get this back on topic please.  This is about fishing and the closure and other options.  Plenty of other threads to talk about the virus that has nothing to do with fishing. Carry on :salute:

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline dilleytech

• Scout
« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2020, 11:03:45 AM »
How about they cancel out of state fishing. And eliminate any kind of launch fees. Getting rid of launch fees would eliminate most possible person to person contact. Whether it’s at the launch or at the gas station were people are forced to stop to buy there day pass like in the Columbia gorge.

Offline dvolmer

• Longhunter
« Reply #173 on: April 04, 2020, 08:12:53 PM »
Unless they send me a refund for my fishing license with a certified letter letting me know what, why, and how, fishing is still on in my book!  Reg's say its open.  Fish all you want.  If a warden stops you, look stupid and say you had no idea and never listen to the news or watch tv because it is all a bunch of crap anyways!  He will tell you to stop and that will be it.  Chances of that happening are nil, so fish away my friends! 

I don't normally believe in ignoring this stupid states laws but this time they have went over the edge.  You all sit home and pout if you want to but if I was you all I would be fishing away and keeping my distance from others to stay safe.

I constantly get emails from WDFW about multi season permit deadlines and special permit deadlines.  They send them because they want your money so bad they cant stand it!  Never seen an email in the last few weeks about any fishing shutdown.  The only way I happened to hear about it was on FOX news (National News).  There are thousands of anglers in this state that have not heard about a shutdown.  They are still selling fishing licenses!  What a joke!  Fish all you want!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 08:19:34 PM by dvolmer »
Zonk Volmer

Offline Gobble Doc

• Frontiersman
« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2020, 08:32:49 PM »
Unless they send me a refund for my fishing license with a certified letter letting me know what, why, and how, fishing is still on in my book!  Reg's say its open.  Fish all you want.  If a warden stops you, look stupid and say you had no idea and never listen to the news or watch tv because it is all a bunch of crap anyways!  He will tell you to stop and that will be it.  Chances of that happening are nil, so fish away my friends! 

I don't normally believe in ignoring this stupid states laws but this time they have went over the edge.  You all sit home and pout if you want to but if I was you all I would be fishing away and keeping my distance from others to stay safe.

I constantly get emails from WDFW about multi season permit deadlines and special permit deadlines.  They send them because they want your money so bad they cant stand it!  Never seen an email in the last few weeks about any fishing shutdown.  The only way I happened to hear about it was on FOX news (National News).  There are thousands of anglers in this state that have not heard about a shutdown.  They are still selling fishing licenses!  What a joke!  Fish all you want!
I thought regs say recreational fishing closed statewide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline millerwheeler

• Scout
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #175 on: April 04, 2020, 09:28:31 PM »

I thought regs say recreational fishing closed statewide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They do currently  and if ya get caught you'll be fined neighbor got caught fishing off public dock okayed stupid and was fine good lu k on acting dumb about something that has affected every one REGUARDLESS if you " don't watch the news" if you have been signed up for there emails you have been informed

Offline Sutherland

• Hunter
« Reply #176 on: April 04, 2020, 09:45:19 PM »
 :yeah:

Offline dvolmer

• Longhunter
« Reply #177 on: April 04, 2020, 11:17:31 PM »
Go pick up the regs at Walmart.  No closing in them!  Paper regs are where most people get their info and pick up a copy when they buy their license.  State is still selling fishing licenses with no problem.  They have no problem taking your money.  My buddy is a fish Biologist for WDFW and shares office with the wardens.  They are just informing people of the closer when contacting them when found fishing.  They know 1/3 to 1/4 of anglers in our state have no clue of the closure. 
Zonk Volmer

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #178 on: April 05, 2020, 07:56:20 AM »
https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/erule.jsp?id=2488

The decision to reopen or not is supposed to be made tomorrow:

"WDFW will re-evaluate on April 6 whether the closure may need to be extended."

Otherwise it reopens  at 5 p.m. on April 8th.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 08:03:38 AM by CP »

Offline dilleytech

• Scout
« Reply #179 on: April 05, 2020, 07:59:27 AM »
Go pick up the regs at Walmart.  No closing in them!  Paper regs are where most people get their info and pick up a copy when they buy their license.  State is still selling fishing licenses with no problem.  They have no problem taking your money.  My buddy is a fish Biologist for WDFW and shares office with the wardens.  They are just informing people of the closer when contacting them when found fishing.  They know 1/3 to 1/4 of anglers in our state have no clue of the closure.

When I look around at some people I work around at a fruit packing plant I wouldn’t be surprised if 1/4 of the population doesn’t even know what this corona beer virus thing is..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Anyone running multi pin with a slider? by Rubenation1981
[Today at 08:18:08 PM]

Archery Shop KITSAP Peninsula by Rubenation1981
[Today at 08:13:09 PM]

Best way to figure out draw length by Rubenation1981
[Today at 08:08:42 PM]

What's your go to hunting arrow? by Rubenation1981
[Today at 08:07:39 PM]

Quality elk tag numbers by dvolmer
[Today at 07:53:18 PM]

Tag Drawing Results by Jolten
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 by coop2424
[Today at 07:36:28 PM]

Shrimp? by Skillet
[Today at 07:24:13 PM]

49 bears?! by StuckoYota99
[Today at 07:13:08 PM]

Double baby stroller by Jpmiller
[Today at 06:49:32 PM]

Share your 'Post-Ban' fish catches here! by Mfowl
[Today at 06:38:38 PM]

Lead for sale by bracer40
[Today at 06:33:45 PM]

Bunnies galore by Encore 280
[Today at 06:33:23 PM]

Colt buntline 22lr by black hog
[Today at 06:29:12 PM]

Price drop: Christensen Mesa Long Range Rifle by jstone
[Today at 05:52:25 PM]

Library has Discover passes for check out. Whitman County. by Buckhunter24
[Today at 05:40:56 PM]

Give back by nwwanderer
[Today at 05:30:36 PM]

WTS: Nightforce ATACR 5-25X56 F1 MOA w/ Spuhr Mount - $2300 - Price Drop by prtowell
[Today at 05:17:55 PM]

WTS - Vortex Razor HD Gen II 3-18X50 FFP $1200 by prtowell
[Today at 05:13:03 PM]

WTB G43x by WoodencrossIII
[Today at 05:04:46 PM]