collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Olympic National Park Goat Hunt Group Anyone?  (Read 66345 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Olympic National Park Goat Hunt Group Anyone?
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2020, 10:56:34 AM »
Nobody should be allowed to keep horns.

:twocents:

I didn't get any horns when I went on your goat hunt.  It was one of the most amazing hunts I have been on.  Great experience, great memories and photos to cherish forever.

I feel like this hunt has the possibility to have the same fond memories, experience and photos without taking horns or a mount home as well.

Unfortunately I can also see this going very bad and tarnishing the experience.

The photos you take are not your property to share/use/keep. They make that clear in the volunteer info page. Or one of those pages. No social media. You're an enrolled NPS volunteer. Everything that happens as a result of this has to go through them.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2020, 10:57:50 AM »

I didn't get any horns when I went on your goat hunt.  It was one of the most amazing hunts I have been on.  Great experience, great memories and photos to cherish forever.

I feel like this hunt has the possibility to have the same fond memories, experience and photos without taking horns or a mount home as well.

The photos you take are not your property to share/use/keep. They make that clear in the volunteer info page. Or one of those pages. No social media. You're an enrolled NPS volunteer. Everything that happens as a result of this has to go through them.

They going to strip search the the volunteers?🤔
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2020, 11:02:19 AM »
I don't see the big deal about the meat being saved for human consumption. This is not a hunt. Getting the meat out just isn't practical. The volunteers will be there to shoot goats, why waste time packing out the meat? That makes no sense. Nothing in nature is wasted, there are plenty of critters that will eat the meat. That's probably the reason for the requirement to not use lead bullets.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2020, 11:03:34 AM »

They going to strip search the the volunteers?🤔

:dunno:

Just reporting what they said. You're going to sign something upfront indicating you agree to all of this stuff...the rest is up to you.

That's the same mentality folks will use and forego shooting nannies and kids in favor of shooting the big billies though too.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2020, 11:04:37 AM »
I don't see the big deal about the meat being saved for human consumption. This is not a hunt. Getting the meat out just isn't practical. The volunteers will be there to shoot goats, why waste time packing out the meat? That makes no sense. Nothing in nature is wasted, there are plenty of critters that will eat the meat. That's probably the reason for the requirement to not use lead bullets.

Probably right. I originally assumed no lead bullets because of the national park aspect. Your reason makes more sense.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2020, 11:08:33 AM »

So my schedule is slammed for this upcoming year making this hunt not really an option for me.  The more I hear about it the more I feel like the cost is not worth what you get out of it.

For those of you that want to goat hunt I would highly suggest just backpacking into one of the wilderness areas, camping out and taking photos.  That is really the best part.  After you shoot one it really gets sketchy getting the meat out and if you are wearing a Tenzing pack it really sucks.  Full disclosure I am sure Tenzing works for some and I am pretty sure I didn't have the pack adjusted correctly but the pack out sucked on Josh's hunt.  I didn't notice the pack being uncomfortable when I worried that I might die on the rock cliffs.  After we got to a decent path I started to notice the discomfort.  At that point I was wishing I had fell to my death on the cliffs.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2020, 11:16:10 AM »
Back to the purpose of this thread topic.....

Folks that are still looking to join a group, please feel free to post in this thread regarding your interest in joining a group.

Some groups have filled up, but there are some stragglers still looking to join a group before the application deadline.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2020, 11:17:51 AM »
The idea of getting to hunt/slaughter goats might sound good, but there’s going to be devil in the aftermath.

The PR damage from this to the hunting community is going to be terrible. The term volunteer is going to equal hunter in the end.

All those hunters went into the park and killed the billies, nannies, and the kids.

I get the idea of that it might save taxpayer money not to have paid shooters, but it not worth the backlash we are going to receive from it.

Look at hound hunting, trapping, baiting predators. What’s going to come out of this next time the tree huggers run a initiative on straight up hunting?

Let the Feds pay for their own dirty work, and keep us from getting blamed. :twocents:

"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2020, 11:24:50 AM »
Back to the purpose of this thread topic.....

Folks that are still looking to join a group, please feel free to post in this thread regarding your interest in joining a group.

Some groups have filled up, but there are some stragglers still looking to join a group before the application deadline.
So if I'm considering joking a group can you expand on retention of the head? Who did you communicate with at NPS? Is that framework in writing somewhere?

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2020, 11:25:16 AM »
If you're expected to be in there a set time and you shoot a goat on day two you want to save meat and hide from what's the preservation going to be? Hang it in a tree for a week and hope it doesn't spoil in September sun? I want to hunt goats more than anything but I feel like some of the details would tarnish my experience and keep me from wanting to go on a real goat hunt.

Not getting to look for the goat you want but instead shooting every goat, hunting them with short hair, limited ability to save meat and hide, no pictures, etc. I hope the guys going get what they want out of it but i don't think if enjoy it the more I think about it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 12:21:09 PM by Jpmiller »

Offline ipkus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2020, 11:56:09 AM »
Those of you looking at this as a 'hunt' aren't comprehending what this is about.  And those of you that are worried about hunters getting a black eye from this obviously don't understand that anti-hunter's look at you like Democrats look at Trump.  It doesn't matter if you pull a child out of the street from in front of a speeding bus, it will be your fault the bus was speeding.

They are soliciting non-employee volunteers to serve in the same capacity as their hired guns would be; to exterminate the remaining goats.  They are asking you to perform the same task in the same way they would hire someone else to do it, so where is the black eye?  Just because it's more visible and will get more attention doesn't change the fact that this is exactly how it is going to happen, regardless of who does it, this fall.  It has been determined that this needs to be done.  For once, the government is making an attempt to let well trained volunteers accomplish work they usually pay top dollar to get done. That needs to be the message, period.  From us, from the teams, and from the NPS.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2020, 12:01:39 PM »
Well said, ipkus. I agree.

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2020, 12:20:03 PM »
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline bigfish51

• Tracker
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2020, 12:32:16 PM »
Not trying to change anybody's interpretation of what they read in the email, but my conversation with the bio (her name is in the paperwork) in charge was pretty specific to the head/horns question.  As I indicated in my original post, the rules of engagement on this thing in regards to head retention (quantity) is a little confusing to describe, but the bio said you can keep the head (and horns).  The # of heads that can be kept and the # that NPR wants to hand over to the tribes and then the # of people in your group are a complex calculus calculation that I can't describe.  LOL  I just know that if your group consists of 6 members and you kill 6 goats (whatever class), your group gets to keep 3 heads (your choice).  If the same group of 6 kills 10 goats, you can keep a maximum of 6 heads (same if you kill 20 goats, you max out in retaining no more than 1 head per member of the group).

Anyways, if your into this thing than apply, if not, don't hold it against anybody who does decide to do it.

I agree with everybody's points of view.  It will be interesting to see what type of protester crowds are at the trailheads when this actually happens in the fall.

Damned if we do and damned if we don't!!!!!!

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2020, 12:54:54 PM »
Those of you looking at this as a 'hunt' aren't comprehending what this is about.  And those of you that are worried about hunters getting a black eye from this obviously don't understand that anti-hunter's look at you like Democrats look at Trump.  It doesn't matter if you pull a child out of the street from in front of a speeding bus, it will be your fault the bus was speeding.

They are soliciting non-employee volunteers to serve in the same capacity as their hired guns would be; to exterminate the remaining goats.  They are asking you to perform the same task in the same way they would hire someone else to do it, so where is the black eye?  Just because it's more visible and will get more attention doesn't change the fact that this is exactly how it is going to happen, regardless of who does it, this fall.  It has been determined that this needs to be done.  For once, the government is making an attempt to let well trained volunteers accomplish work they usually pay top dollar to get done. That needs to be the message, period.  From us, from the teams, and from the NPS.
I would push back on your anti assessment in this scenario. It's not necessarily there anti crowd that one should worry about but the public perception of the 90+/-% that doesn't fit either hunter or anti demographic. Also your assessment of animal services (aphis) and comparing their level of professionalism and efficiency to rank and file hunters is flat out wrong. Perception is reality and when is sensationalized and spun you are at the mercy of the masses and how they see it.  The other issue is you are getting participation from the opposition and building a case (by inclusion) for future extreme actions similar to this.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]