collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Husqvarna 460 Rancher chainsaw: Who’s running one?  (Read 5571 times)

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
Re: Husqvarna 460 Rancher chainsaw: Who’s running one?
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2020, 08:48:12 AM »
As a kid in Pennsylvania, getting firewood ready was just a part of life. We started pulling out wood as soon as the little tractor wouldn't sink & get stuck. I'd help family friends with their wood and make a few $$. Spent a lot of time in the woods. Learned a lot. Agree with above statements, 20" seemed very popular, and rarely needed anything bigger. Dad had an old saw with a longer bar on it that he would pull out once in a while for some bigger trees. I remember that old saw looking very intimidating and heavy! Much of our wood came from storm damage rarely encountering anything a 20" wouldn't handle. I was never on the saw cutting, I always was filling the trailer, on the splitter and stacking. Saws were for the adults. People had Huskys and Stihl for the most part, but I also remember folks using a plane old Craftsmen saws as well. I bought a new saw a few years ago. Got a Huskey, with a 16" bar. Starts and cuts great. I like the Husqvarna saws.

Sounds like our childhoods were very similar. I remember lots of good times spent on our wood lot. Hot dogs on a stick over the fire burning brush, splitting wood while my pop cut it.

Very similar indeed! Lunch was always Smiths natural casing wieners with sauerkraut & swiss cheese. Wonderful time in life.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2020, 08:53:18 AM »
I got my husky new,  it leaks bar oil

I got my sthil new,  it leaks bar oil

they all leak bar oil, every saw I've ever had or been around either leaks bar oil or soon will. 

If you fuel cap gaskets are good, store the saw with the bar up, fuel caps down,  my husky sits on its handle this way.  Only do this if you have really good O rings or gaskets on your fuel and oil filler caps. 

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2020, 09:10:32 AM »
I got my husky new,  it leaks bar oil

I got my sthil new,  it leaks bar oil

they all leak bar oil, every saw I've ever had or been around either leaks bar oil or soon will. 

If you fuel cap gaskets are good, store the saw with the bar up, fuel caps down,  my husky sits on its handle this way.  Only do this if you have really good O rings or gaskets on your fuel and oil filler caps. 

Great to know actually, I thought mine was defective.
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline NitRally

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2020, 09:23:00 AM »
+1 on the stihl 362. Thats what I have and it can pull a 24" but it honestly shines the best with a 20" on it.  If youre needing to run a 24" id go with a ms460 or 461

Offline stickbuck

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2020, 09:26:22 AM »
Thanks for all the great responses guys! I’m glad I started this thread. It has really opened my mind up to other options on other great saws even if it is another brand and I have been doing tons of research and watching a lot of videos. Have been seeing a lot of great reviews on the Husqvarna 550 XP Mark II. I guess the research will continue for just a tad bit longer. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2020, 09:30:33 AM »
You can look into a skip tooth chain for longer bar if not already running one.

Offline NitRally

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2020, 09:36:30 AM »
You can look into a skip tooth chain for longer bar if not already running one.

Agreed it does help out. But realistically a 20" bar/chain is what most people need 90% of the time. Skip tooth are nice for re sharpening lol.

Offline HntnFsh

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2020, 10:26:27 AM »
+1 on the stihl 362. Thats what I have and it can pull a 24" but it honestly shines the best with a 20" on it.  If youre needing to run a 24" id go with a ms460 or 461

I bought a 461 a couple years ago. What a beast. I run a 32" bar on it but am also setting up for a 28" bar. But I cut a lot of big firewood. Sometimes 4 foot through. When I was looking I thought about a 460 but was steered away. Less dependable, some places wouldnt even sell them. They suggested the 461 with better power, durability and dependability for just a few bucks more. I also have an MS290 I bought several years ago with a 20" bar. Great little saw.

Just remember Stihl is not made in Germany anymore. They have a big ol factory in China. I know of 1 major logging supply store in the area that dropped Stihl and deals with Huskies. If I was buying a new smaller saw I would probably go Husky. Bigger I went with the 461. Stihl hard to beat. But dont think you can go wrong with either.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2020, 10:28:08 AM »
It looks like every saw manufacturer has ties to China  :(    if not the whole saw, then certainly components sourced from China.   (except Parker chainsaws..?)

https://chainsawlarry.com/where-are-chainsaws-made-by-each-manufacturer/#Where_are_Stihl_chainsaws_made

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 10:39:15 AM by KFhunter »

Offline spin05

• Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2020, 10:54:45 AM »
i have a rancher with 20in bar forget what size. its been good. A saw shop owner once told me. If your falling big trees buy a stihl. If you gutting firewood buy a husky, They run at higher RPM so it cuts faster

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2020, 11:13:01 AM »
I like to stand up straight and have a bar that'll nearly touch my toes

If I got a short bar I gotta bend over a lot, then my back is sore.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I used to have pics of me with a Stihl 084 with a huge bar on it. I want to say it was a 48" bar but I can't remember for sure. I worked at a True Value store when I was a teenager that had a Stihl saw shop in it.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline woodswalker

• Curmudgeon in training
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/Grumpys-Gun-Repair-153675238330367/?ref=br_rs&pnref=lhc
    • Grumpys Gun Repair
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited, RMEF, SRPA WHEIA
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2020, 12:38:21 PM »
One thing I’ve noticed since I moved out west is the size of the saws people use out here.  Growing up back East, we cut a lot of wood. Heated our house solely with wood through winter where it got real cold. Hardwoods too. Oak, maple, hickory, etc. My dad and grandfather had saws with 20” bars and cut everything with them.  I cut all the trees off my grandfathers property and cleared for his house with a 20” saw. Why’s everybody gotta have saws with gigantic bars on them out here? I mean I get the loggers and the pros but seems like folks have a thing for oversized saws they don’t really need. Aren’t they just heavier after a day in the woods?

For most all of my around the place and firewood duty, I run Stihls, either a 029 or the newer MS290 with an 18 and 20 inch bar respectively.  Those do for 90% of firewood duty, if i know i'll be cutting in an older unit, I'll throw in my 036P with the 26" bar.  Occasionally though, I get a shout from my buddy Ed who runs a few mechanical sides (his youngsters never get out of the cab i think except at the end of the day) to come hand cut a steep or inaccessible corner OR some BIG trees that were not cut LAST cycle that his equipment wont handle.  I'll load up, depending on what Ed tells me there is to cut, either the MS460 or the 064 with 32 and 41 inch bars respectively.  I always take the 036P just because.  Only once have I dragged the 066 with the 58 in bar to one of Ed's shows.  the unit he was cutting had some OLD cedars, fir and hemlock back in a steep canyon that his equipment couldn't work on and stems that his grapples couldn't even pick up.  The average butt cut was over 80" and there were a few monsters that i had to bench to get through.  I do have a small MS250 in a case for winter duties and a Mac10 for a climbing/arborist saw.

TL:DR  I run 029/MS290s for most home and firewood duty...but have bigger stuff for when its needed
A Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces.

Whatta ya mean I can't have one of each?

What we have here is...Washington Department of NO Fish and WATCHABLE Wildlife.

WDFW is going farther and farther backwards....we need FISH AND GAME back!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2020, 12:38:33 PM »
Thems for big pickles

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2020, 12:57:38 AM »
I have one and i love it.Dont know if its been mentioned already in here but stihl and husky are almost identical.stihl has a few plastic parts that are metal still on the husky.used to be metal on stihl but they got cheap.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]