collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Trying out the tarp  (Read 13196 times)

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
Trying out the tarp
« on: April 25, 2020, 08:54:25 PM »
Went out for a little over nighter to check out the tarp. I think if heavy rain Is not forecasted, I’m going with the tarp over the tent.. so much more room in the pack and my tarp is weighing in at like 10oz’s. Anyone else use the tarp instead of the tent??

Offline Cougartail

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Trying out the tarp
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 09:49:09 PM »
Have in the past but with rain and wind together I got wet.
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 10:00:11 PM »
WTG!  It frees up so much pack weight and space that you will probably never go back, at least if you do much backpack hunting and fishing.

I've been tarp camping since the 1950's, own three backpack tents but have never backpacked a tent, just use them for car camping to save space, and when my wife comes along.  Between an outdoor job I had for years plus personal hunting and hiking, I’ve spent close to 3 years of my life sleeping on the ground, most of it under a tarp. 

If a codger can comment, your set up looks good except that for my personal preference, I pitch them lower, to handle wind better and not have rain spray blow in as much.  Your set up is more comfortable in good weather.  Also I prefer to pitch mine tight against a wall of rock, against a big log, thick brush, under a spreading tree, etc.  A good use of tarp is to find a natural shelter and augment it with the tarp rather than pitch it out in the open.  A flat tarp has infinite options and is not limited to places with a specific size/shape footprint.

I've tarp camped from canoe camps on river banks to above timberline (which I don't like in a tarp), from California to the Yukon, often in snow, some below zero.  A light compact tarp lets me hunt all day and bivy wherever I am at night rather than hike back to camp.  I stay right on the game that way.  For light summer camps I rig a small mosquito net for my head and upper body, under the tarp, with legs in sleeping bag.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 11:01:22 PM »
I'll be honest, I'm a pansy when it comes to shelters.  I like a tent with a floor and bug screen and gladly carry the extra pound or two.  I admire tarp guys and hammock guys but I've tried both and just like a good quality tent.

Offline 444Marlin

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 08:43:37 AM »
I found that I need a bivy sack in addition to the tarp, because there can be a significant amount of dew on the down bag and the rest of the exposed gear.  If it's an overnight or 2 night trip with a great forecast, the tarps are the way to go.  But the margin of weight savings on a short trip like that, it's not that much more to bring my Go Lite pyramid tent.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 09:22:59 AM »
Slept under a blue tarp many times in the back country.  Visqueen as well.
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 12:15:10 PM »
Yeah, this wasn’t the original pitch I was planning on setting up, but there was a lack of flat ground to set up. I was planning more of a plow blade type pitch off a tree so I could try out a small fire in front of my shelter.. this pitch worked out as the weather was nice and clear, was to windy for a fire anyways.. I do have an ultra-lite water proof bivy I can slide over my bag of weather isn’t looking so good. I have a nice u/l tent as well, but I figured when the weather isn’t terrible, I’ll likely break out the tarp instead of the tent. If nothing else, it’s fun to get out and try out gear before the season starts up.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 12:44:57 PM »
I picked up a Slingfin tarp shelter system last year and so far I absolutely love it.  Totally stormproof with a floor, stakes, and lines for 11oz flat.  Slingfin is the designer and manufacturer for Stone Glacier's line, and this one is identical, as far as I can tell, to the SkyAir ULT. 

I also have Slingfin's Crossbow 2p tent that my wife and I use when we're together.  FWIW, if I know I'll be in thick mosquitos on a solo trip, I typically go for my hennessey hammock. 

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 09:49:27 PM »
Cool little set up ya got there.

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 07:56:20 AM »
If a tarp is set up well everything under it should stay dry.  :) Same with tent, if... There are little slights in setting up that keep rain drop splashes from splattering back under the tarp, to gutter water off away from the tarp, etc.  I have several tarps, and for solo, my favorite is an 8x10 homemade from ripstop spinnaker cloth I got from Seattle Fabrics about 25 years ago.  Never weighed it but I'd guess about 6 oz. and it rolls to the size of a rolled Outdoor Life.

My favorite way to tent camp is with a canvas wall tent and stove, but not for hard core backpack hunting.  Individuals have a wide range of comfort levels, especially when sleeping, and I am fortunate to sleep well in bad positions, on hard ground, on a steel deck, etc.  A person has to sleep well or he/she will not hunt well.  Learn what it takes for yourself and make that your minimum.

Some difficult tarp camps I recall are a sleet/wind sub-alpine blizzard on Vancouver Island, almost wasn't able to set up a tarp in the violent wind. Really cozy with reflector fire once set up however.  Another tough one among many good ones was a N. Cascade late season, snowing hard that changed to rain when the snow got 10 inches deep, just as we got to our camping place at dark.  Great bombs of wet snow falling from trees.  Everything got wet/damp somewhat as we set up in the dark, and then from crawling under the tarp in streaming wet clothes. Synthetic bags really do retain loft and warmth when wet, though it is a little bit like sauna.  Never got cold but that trip motivated me to buy my Seek Outside tipi for multi-person late season hunts. Solo, I'll still go tarp.

And one time under a visqueen tarp above timberline in N. BC my partner talked me into using my rifle for a tent pole while he kept his handy for grizz...

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 07:50:35 AM »
Went out for a little over nighter to check out the tarp. I think if heavy rain Is not forecasted, I’m going with the tarp over the tent.. so much more room in the pack and my tarp is weighing in at like 10oz’s. Anyone else use the tarp instead of the tent??

that tarp is just fine! bad weather drop poles lower with the side that is very exposed open, also get in area that is more protected. If you don't have, i would recommend a bivy cover for bag. you will be good for all weather, sure you may get wet but that is gonna happen in the PNW...
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 08:15:38 AM »
What tarp do you have?

Offline Colville

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2020, 10:22:11 PM »
Some tarps are now made with closed ends. I've had some wind driven BS that both made stuff wet and limits sleep.  We are talking ounces in difference between open and closed. A light bivy or cover should come anyway in a single wall so, i prefer a small floorless tent or closed end tarp.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2020, 10:28:15 PM »
I admire you tarp guys too lol,only thing is when i woke up one morning with a bobcat inside my wall tent i decided to have zippers put on the opening instead of draw cords and a sewn in floor.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2020, 10:36:10 PM »
I would only be using that in 100% good weather. Wind and moisture you would be soaked and that tarp would be ripped out of the ground in a decent wind. I prefer to have sides on all sides

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]