collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Camp Kitchen planning  (Read 4988 times)

Offline Geoffphrye123456

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Camp Kitchen planning
« on: April 27, 2020, 07:13:24 PM »
I am wondering how elaborate folks get with their kitchen area. I have 8 guys in camp for 14 days. 1000 miles from home.
I brought too much crap last year.
Last year I brought a camp chef 2 burner stove. 3 large pots for soup/chili in a camp box. A single 17" cast iron for steak/chicken. A 12" dutch oven (didn't use it) .I had a large wooden camp box that held the breads, and another camp box held canned goods.

I am thinking about changing it up this year by building a camp kitchen similar to the  BSA style that holds a Coleman stove, some utensils, and cups/plates etc.
I am also thinking about bringing a lightweight shelf unit from a greenhouse to keep the dry good on so we don't have to dig thru the camp box each time. This little shelf should hold all dry goods, canned goods, and boxes of snacks.

What does your kitchen look like at camp?

Offline lastmk8

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
Re: Camp Kitchen planning
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 07:25:47 PM »
I'll have plenty to share with you, but lets have a little more of the specifics.  Is everyone hunting?  Is there a "kitchen witch" or is that a shared responsibility?  How many meals a day is being cooked?, breakfast and dinner or just once a day? What weather conditions are you camped in?  What is your kitchen tent setup?  Do you bring all the food with you or is there a mid-week resupply?  What are the basic things you are making, especially for dinner? 

not to run you off, but we have been dialing in our "kitchen for 12 years, and yes, we started out with way to much, we are much more efficient now.....  standing by...   

Offline Geoffphrye123456

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 07:32:14 PM »
All great questions:
I do all the cooking in camp. Bring 90% of the food with us. Beer and local vegetables purchased in town. COLD Montana Novembers, -10 at night, with maybe 30degree days. Last year I setup the kitchen outside the main tent in a soccer mom pop up tent. Right now, I am planning on having the kitchen inside main tent (16'x32' GP Medium Army tent) I have already cut/sewn up a canvas wall to separate the space from main tent area. It will have its own door to the outside, with possible door to main tent area. Smells... smoke... I know... so no hamburgers to be cooked this year for sure :).

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 07:40:59 PM »
Camp chef to big.
We bring two three burner propane stoves like I your RV.
One stove cooking ,one just for water and coffee spaced apart so the coffee drinkers are out of the cooks way.
Wood stove in cook shack too. With lRge pot of water on 24 hrs.
Dutch oven
Grill
Assorted pans and fry pans.
Hang some of that web barrier stuff from the ceiling and make a overhead storage for bread,buns and such.

8-15 people shared cooking.
Everybody hunts
Separate cook shack
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 07:49:38 PM by ghosthunter »
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 07:42:47 PM »
It really depends on what kind of trip you want.  Make it as elaborate as you want or minimal, there is no right answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lastmk8

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 07:52:37 PM »
Ghosthunter, I'm pretty sure dialed in also, yet to each his own.  First we only have 4 guys in camp so much smaller.  I'm of different thinking about camp chef, I run a three burner, the camp chef is just to useful for us.  We cook on it, have a hot water pot with spigot and also use a folding Coleman Oven over a burner and it works great.  I'll follow up with some pics a little later. 

First off, my kitchen tent is a 10' X 20 Shelter Logic portable garage type setup.  This year will make 11 years with it, been a great $200 investment.  I have a stove jack flashed in an run a wood stove for heat.  If you have a secondary fly on the top that tent has no problem holding around 60 degrees, our normal lowest temp at camp is about teens at night. 

Figuring out the cooking gear is critical, there can be a lot of wasted space and weight and time there.  Not to sure about shelf system, more space and setup, and in the end, what all do you really need out every day?  Key is packing and knowing where everything is stowed.  Breads, candy, snack, yes, must figure out how to keep the mice out of them, or bring plenty of mouse traps and set up secondary hanging pole, keeping a body count is good info in case you have a yearly pass down log with stupid "stuff" that happens each year, but a reason to become great mouse trappers and break previous year records. 

I cani't seem to find them anymore, but I have a gadget called "Gear Pockets".  Hanging mesh pockets that hold many things for a kitchen set up.  I'll make sure I find a pic, vertical stowage is nice, but again, I'm not a fan of "shelves".  More to follow, but I'll post his now for something to chew on and see if I can find some pics....     

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 07:55:01 PM »
Ghosthunter has the most dialed in camp I’ve ever seen in person. It’s super impressive.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline lastmk8

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 08:34:57 PM »
Some pics coming, should see most of the different gear we use....

Offline Mark Brenckle

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 09:34:57 PM »
I have a friend who sets up his horse trailer pretty much how those kitchens look, might be an option since you're bringing stuff for 6 to 10 people.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 08:52:24 PM »
Those Costco tables 6ft, folds in 1/2, that Ghosthunter and Lastmk8 show in their pics, are what I use as well.
They are great tables. I have paired my kitchen down a bit. I use a common Coleman two burner propane stove and a Char-Broil Portable Gas Grill 240 (last one lasted 12 years). Both are inexpensive and can be replaced almost anywhere. These two cover my complete cooking options.
I got rid of my flat iron grills and all my cast iron. I go with a cheap non-stick frying pan and one pan with lid.
Most of what I cook is on the BBQ. And coffee (Starbucks Via) on the stove.
I use a propane tree on top of a five gallon propane bottle, with a Coleman propane light on top. Last season, I dropped my Coleman propane light while unpacking. I drove to the nearest gas station, and they had a replacement.
All the rest is utensils, LOL

PS: do not bring what you can't replace easily. Of repair easily. The fanciest gear is no good if you forgot the custom propane cable for it.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Colville

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 09:31:21 PM »
Between 6 and 8 of us live and cook in one 14 x 32 tent.  One table, one set of shelves holding all the kitchen food and wares. One "camp box" holding all miscellaneous items a kitchen or camp would need.  We cook 2 meals a day. Some will come home mid day and they usually make a quick re-heat of a prior meal or they make sandwiches.  We pre-plan the meals and some come frozen.  Tacos, Stroganoff, curry, stew etc.  They are mostly re-heat with anything that calls for venison getting fresh cooked on the spot.  We would need a separate Kitchen tent to do the big propane number in addition to the table and shelving.  We aren't as fast as some might be but it's one trailer load for the whole camp.  2 frying pans, 2 percolators, 1 small pot, one stew pot.

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 09:49:24 PM »
We got rid of the propane lights two years ago. Guys would always break them on the pack up.
Went battery lanterns ,very happy with those.
We have one 3ftx2.5 ft box with all pots and pans ,basics. One trunk with can goods and stuff like noodles, two flat propane stoves, five tables, four dog wood stove.
Dish washing outside under tarp. Two weeks min. 4-15 people.
Breakfast together ,lunch each person choice, dinner together.

Two to three man turkey hunts. No cook shack just wall tent 10x12 and cook under tarp.
scouting trips two guys, tent cots, fry pan ,pot one cooler.

One guy Scouting trip, tent cot, cook on tailgate with Biolite stove, lawn chair. Lots of guns.

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 09:33:47 PM »
We got rid of the propane lights two years ago. Guys would always break them on the pack up.
We have one 3ftx2.5 ft box with all pots and pans ,basics. One trunk with can goods and stuff like noodles, two flat propane stoves, five tables, four dog wood stove.

Two to three man turkey hunts. No cook shack just wall tent 10x12 and cook under tarp.

One guy Scouting trip, tent cot, cook on tailgate with Biolite stove, lawn chair. Lots of guns.
Is that Moody in that first pic?

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2020, 10:04:19 PM »

Is that Moody in that first pic?

Yes sir, Mr. Idaho to you now.  :chuckle:

Here’s a better shot of him.

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2020, 11:21:32 PM »
 Thought so. Heard he moved to Idaho. Used to work with him. Bought his Hewescraft SeaRunner years ago. Small world.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]