collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shed hunters score big trespassing on Hanford!  (Read 31825 times)

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Shed hunters score big trespassing on Hanford!
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2020, 08:15:54 AM »
Some inside info on this shed hunting case.

The initial report was that these individuals had trespassed onto private property and then onto the National Wildlife Refuge. Turns out that these shed hunters actually talked to the family who owns the private land and obtained permission to shed hunt on their land. Problem is, this is a big family and another family member saw the individuals trespassing (didn't know their relative granted permission) and wanted them charged with trespassing.

Regarding the trespassing on the refuge, the shed hunters looked on OnX and saw it as public land and thought they were good to go.

None of the shed hunters have had previous state/federal wildlife violations. They will be cited for trespassing on a national wildlife refuge.

Not very believable especially since one of the perps had complained about already getting caught previously for the same thing.
Because you heard it on the internet?

He also supposedly got a $500 fine the week prior. Except there is no infraction with a $500 fine...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

So why in the OP's report did the perp say he got ticketed for poaching the Wenas Feeding Station? These guys knew exactly what they were doing. They hid when detected. Why? Believe the witnesses or the perps?

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2020, 08:23:59 AM »

The initial report was that these individuals had trespassed onto private property and then onto the National Wildlife Refuge. Turns out that these shed hunters actually talked to the family who owns the private land and obtained permission to shed hunt on their land. Problem is, this is a big family and another family member saw the individuals trespassing (didn't know their relative granted permission) and wanted them charged with trespassing.

Regarding the trespassing on the refuge, the shed hunters looked on OnX and saw it as public land and thought they were good to go.

None of the shed hunters have had previous state/federal wildlife violations. They will be cited for trespassing on a national wildlife refuge.

Not very believable especially since one of the perps had complained about already getting caught previously for the same thing.

He also supposedly got a $500 fine the week prior. Except there is no infraction with a $500 fine...

So why in the OP's report did the perp say he got ticketed for poaching the Wenas Feeding Station? These guys knew exactly what they were doing. They hid when detected. Why? Believe the witnesses or the perps?
The OP who "heard from a friend who owns land next to the ALE." Was that the same guy who didn't even know his family granted permission to these guys to be on their land?

Even had the guys been caught at Wenas the fine is significantly less than $500. As soon as I saw the $500 fine statement it was a red flag to me because I know that's not the correct fine amount. Turns out according to WDFW they don't have previous WDFW histories.

My info comes from one of the officers involved with the incident. If you don't want to believe me then that's your prerogative.

Offline Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2020, 08:24:03 AM »
There's no way that many horns sit for that long in that open country if anyone can legally access it, they had to know that. Instead of them getting the book thrown at them we will just hear more stories like this and end up with season, restrictions or something to that effect that only impact the guys willing to follow the rules. The guys doing this bs will just keep breaking the rules.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2020, 08:47:33 AM »
There's no way that many horns sit for that long in that open country if anyone can legally access it, they had to know that. Instead of them getting the book thrown at them we will just hear more stories like this and end up with season, restrictions or something to that effect that only impact the guys willing to follow the rules. The guys doing this bs will just keep breaking the rules.
I'll tell you how this would've likely panned out if WDFW would've charged them with everything they could. First off it would all be be mandatory court appearances so a judge technically could've fined them $1 and sent them on their ways.

But let's say they go to court and plea not guilty. They lawyer up. Their lawyer tells the judge/jury how good these guys are, heck they even obtained permission from the private property owner to shed hunt on their land. People trespass on private property all the time, but these guys got permission! That's how good of guys they are! They looked at their phone and saw the ALE as Fish and Wildlife land and thought they were good to go. We all know how confusing federal/state regulations are but these guys took the extra step to look at a mapping app!

My guess is likely dismissed/not guilty. Instead they're cited for trespassing on a NWR which is a ticket they can pay immediately without ever stepping in court.

Offline Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2020, 08:57:48 AM »
Yeah I am sure that's how it would shake out. I'm glad they got a ticket, it's better than nothing.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2020, 09:07:12 AM »
So not having been there before what do the No trespassing signs say. Curious if a mapping app gives you an excuse not to read signs.

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2020, 09:09:19 AM »

The OP who "heard from a friend who owns land next to the ALE." Was that the same guy who didn't even know his family granted permission to these guys to be on their land?

Even had the guys been caught at Wenas the fine is significantly less than $500. As soon as I saw the $500 fine statement it was a red flag to me because I know that's not the correct fine amount. Turns out according to WDFW they don't have previous WDFW histories.

My info comes from one of the officers involved with the incident. If you don't want to believe me then that's your prerogative.

So the Op did not know what he was talking about? Probably fabricated the pictures, too?

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2020, 09:15:36 AM »

So the Op did not know what he was talking about? Probably fabricated the pictures, too?
I didn't say the guys weren't there. I am saying the original post is not 100% correct.

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2020, 09:22:48 AM »
Hopefully the OP resurfaces and fills us in on the rest of the story.

Offline DeerSkin

• Tracker
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2020, 09:52:01 AM »

I didn't say the guys weren't there. I am saying the original post is not 100% correct.

All the information I shared was first hand info I got from the landowner involved. I only went with what he told me.

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2020, 10:08:12 AM »

All the information I shared was first hand info I got from the landowner involved. I only went with what he told me.

So the landowner did not know what he was talking about but the perps and the WDFW did?  :chuckle:

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2020, 10:35:22 AM »
Bigtex,
As always, appreciate you bringing some facts to the table.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2020, 10:47:32 AM »
Bigtex,

And thanks to the OP for making us aware of these perps and thanks to bigtex for the list of excuses to use if you ever get caught.

Offline Maverick

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2020, 10:54:20 AM »
Bigtex,

And thanks to the OP for making us aware of these perps and thanks to bigtex for the list of excuses to use if you ever get caught.

Learned the excuses to use and why guys dont have a problem sneaking where they shouldn't be for sheds with these cheap fines.  :chuckle:

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2020, 11:13:55 AM »
Bigtex,

Learned the excuses to use and why guys dont have a problem sneaking where they shouldn't be for sheds with these cheap fines.  :chuckle:

So, would you rather not hear the truth?

Take for example the fact that there is no such thing as a $500 fine for this infraction.    Would you rather remain ignorant to the truth?

I didn't see bigtex protecting anyone.  He simply brought some truth to the thread. 

If anything he said isnt factual, why not dispute that?

Nobody asked bigtex what he thinks is right.  We don't know if he'd prefer the death penalty or a 2 cent fine. But he has proven time and again that he knows the law.   I'd like to keep hearing from him on these issues. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 11:03:53 AM by bearpaw »
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal