collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Barrel length  (Read 2014 times)

Offline Keebler213

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Tracker
Barrel length
« on: May 22, 2020, 02:59:01 PM »
I have a friend who is looking into getting a new muzzleloader and we were having a discussion about barrel length and its effect on accuracy. I know load development and the shooters ability can have a major effect on accuracy but how much does barrel length effect it? What would be a good length barrel to improve accuracy? And this would all be for hunting in Washington and with a maximum range of 200 yards.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
Re: Barrel length
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 03:01:09 PM »
@Sabotloader

Whatever he says.

Offline CastleRocker

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 07:11:45 PM »
Barrel length effects velocity, and a longer sight radius allows for easier aiming.  I've only seen one documented experiment with barrel length, and it was done with a 44 Remington Magnum.  A group was shot out of a Ransom Rest, after which one inch was cut off the barrel, and the barrel re-crowned.  It was a Ruger Super Blackhawk that started with a 10 1/2" and ended with an 1 1/2".  Group size never changed, it just kept getting lower on the target as velocity fell off.
Work to live, don't live to work.

You can educate away ignorance, sober up drunkenness, but you can't fix stupid.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 07:17:50 PM »
Idk about muzzy but generally shorter the better except for wind.   Since wind is not a factor with muzzy ranges I would think accuracy isn’t that big of factor except or sight alignment.   

Instead figure whats optimum length for impact velocity vs carry weight. 

Offline Sabotloader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 07:28:14 PM »
I have a friend who is looking into getting a new muzzleloader and we were having a discussion about barrel length and its effect on accuracy. I know load development and the shooters ability can have a major effect on accuracy but how much does barrel length effect it? What would be a good length barrel to improve accuracy? And this would all be for hunting in Washington and with a maximum range of 200 yards.

I will offer my perspective but it really is up to the individual and the use of the rifle...

Longer barrel generally - creates better velocity and can add improved accuracy!  With that said in 200 yards the difference between a 22" and 27" barrel would be minor.  It would be my suggestion to choose a rifle that feels comfortable to you.  Rifle sights that you might choose to use will have a greater influence on accuracy that barrel length.

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline Keebler213

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Tracker
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 02:46:51 PM »
Thanks for the responses!

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 09:50:11 AM »
When tests have been done typically a shorter barrel is actually more accurate. But a longer barrel will give you better velocity and a longer site radius which increases YOUR ability to shoot more accurately. Also a longer barrel increases weight which reduces recoil. Which for some increases there accuracy if they are prone to flinching

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal