collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: The wait begins  (Read 25601 times)

Offline dmoua

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: The wait begins
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2020, 08:36:25 PM »
She groups pretty well with my test loads at 66gr but I’m guessing too much pressure since some shots I can’t even pull the bolt handle back until it cools off.
Instagram @dmoua_outdoors

Youtube channel DMOUA OUTDOORS
https://www.youtube.com/user/YeXuSsOlDiEr

Offline callturner

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
    • n/a
  • Groups: nra
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2020, 08:39:08 PM »
I just replied before you. You might start by dumping the Mag primers

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2020, 08:40:40 PM »
I just replied before you. You might start by dumping the Mag primers

Elaborate please?

Offline Jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2020, 08:46:24 PM »
I wouldn’t dump the mag primers, bring the powder down a little and keep the better ignition source.

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2020, 08:54:47 PM »
I wouldn’t dump the mag primers, bring the powder down a little and keep the better ignition source.

I can bring the powder down but that puts me in the 2700 FPS range. Pretty slow in my opinion. This is my ladder test, I noted which ones jammed "stuck bolt".

66gr - 2815 FPS - bolt sticks sporadically when breaking in and zero
66.5gr - 2838 FPS
67gr - 2867 FPS
67.5gr - 2851 FPS
68gr - 2911 FPS - compressed
68.5gr - 2913 FPS - compressed
69gr - 2925 FPS - compressed - stuck bolt
69.5gr - 2943 FPS - compressed
70gr - 2960 FPS - compressed - stuck bolt
70.5gr - 2985 FPS - compressed

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2020, 09:18:45 PM »
I'd wait for the second firing before you start worrying. Your speeds will pick up and brass will stop flowing as much.its also a brand new barrel that will speed up and settle in.

Disclaimer: far from an expert, just reminding you not to get too nitnoid until everything is fireformed and the barrel has been shot.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2020, 09:21:05 PM »
Have you measured headspace?  I only ask since it was an existing issue.  I'm not an expert on reloading, but maybe some smart people here could make a list of things that could cause the issue and then go one by one and see what you can cross off.

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2020, 09:22:27 PM »
I'd wait for the second firing before you start worrying. Your speeds will pick up and brass will stop flowing as much.its also a brand new barrel that will speed up and settle in.

Disclaimer: far from an expert, just reminding you not to get too nitnoid until everything is fireformed and the barrel has been shot.

Yes I totally understand what you're saying. Just curious why there's so  much sporadic jams.

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2020, 09:27:29 PM »
Have you measured headspace?  I only ask since it was an existing issue.  I'm not an expert on reloading, but maybe some smart people here could make a list of things that could cause the issue and then go one by one and see what you can cross off.

It was never an existing issue. This is a brand new Rem 700 SA. But I haven't measured it. I have noticed that it is hard to close the bolt on some rounds.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2020, 09:28:33 PM »
Yeah, it sounds strange.  I've run a few loads up way too far and from my experience you can get way off the ranch before you run into those problems.  My gut feeling says it's something else other than slight overpressure.  Are there any other signs like bulged primer?  It seems that happens well before case/bolt problems.

From my thinking, a stuck bolt is a case that either won't rotate or pull out of the chamber.  It's too long or too big around after the shot and got jammed.

At the loads you mentioned, too big around sounds unlikely.  I don't know, but could the chamber still be too short such that it can chamber but then gets stuck after firing?

Honestly, I'm just guessing in hopes you get it figured out, have a great hunt and then post a great video on YouTube so I can watch it.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2020, 09:31:56 PM »

It was never an existing issue. This is a brand new Rem 700 SA. But I haven't measured it. I have noticed that it is hard to close the bolt on some rounds.

Isn't it a custom build?  Maybe I missed a page or two in the thread.

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2020, 09:37:03 PM »
Yeah, it sounds strange.  I've run a few loads up way too far and from my experience you can get way off the ranch before you run into those problems.  My gut feeling says it's something else other than slight overpressure.  Are there any other signs like bulged primer?  It seems that happens well before case/bolt problems.

From my thinking, a stuck bolt is a case that either won't rotate or pull out of the chamber.  It's too long or too big around after the shot and got jammed.

At the loads you mentioned, too big around sounds unlikely.  I don't know, but could the chamber still be too short such that it can chamber but then gets stuck after firing?

Honestly, I'm just guessing in hopes you get it figured out, have a great hunt and then post a great video on YouTube so I can watch it.

All the primers look good. I do see some ejector swipes on my test loads "66gr" but not all of them. I appreciate all the guessing. Gives me something to think about. I agree on what you said about a stuck bolt. I can lift the dang bolt but just not able to extract. I'll have to measure how much the brass expanded after firing. There are too many variables, just trying to cross them off as I go.

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2020, 09:38:02 PM »

Isn't it a custom build?  Maybe I missed a page or two in the thread.

It is a custom build on a 700 action.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2020, 10:07:53 PM »
Yes more jump will mean less pressure to an extent.  Back off, lower charge, get your brass fire formed.   Barrel should speed up and level off around 100 rds.   Hornady brass is soft but firing them should work harden them a bit.     Once all your brass is fired don’t bump shoulders till a fired case has some resistance chambering.  Can take 3 firings to fully fire form.  Then get serious about load development.  I often use cheap bullets for the first 100 to get brass fire formed.   This will give you better idea of chamber size and get you more familiar with the rifle aswell.   Jmo and how I treat a new barrel
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2020, 10:38:57 PM »
Yes more jump will mean less pressure to an extent.  Back off, lower charge, get your brass fire formed.   Barrel should speed up and level off around 100 rds.   Hornady brass is soft but firing them should work harden them a bit.     Once all your brass is fired don’t bump shoulders till a fired case has some resistance chambering.  Can take 3 firings to fully fire form.  Then get serious about load development.  I often use cheap bullets for the first 100 to get brass fire formed.   This will give you better idea of chamber size and get you more familiar with the rifle aswell.   Jmo and how I treat a new barrel

Thanks for the info. I guess I just need to be more patient. I would use cheap bullets to fire form  but it’s chambered for 185gr VLD. Nothing else chambers in it.

I guess it’s time to back off the charge and load up the rest of the brass to fire form.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal