collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: West Wenaha Quality Bull Tag - Modern Rifle  (Read 4114 times)

Offline SI Eagle

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Hunter
West Wenaha Quality Bull Tag - Modern Rifle
« on: June 11, 2020, 07:27:06 PM »
After 23 years I finally drew a quality bull tag. Started putting in my 20's and now in my 50's. Probably that last time I will put in for quality elk since I'll probably be dead before I draw again. With that said I may or may not be hunting alone or have help. Would love to know what to expect, if there is a packer (not a guide, just a packer) available near the unit, etc etc etc. Any help, advice, information would be greatly appreciated. I've waited a long time and want to make the best of it. And yes I know I need to be in shape. Personally, I have never hunted the unit and would love to hear from someone who has or been on the hunt with anyone else. Only five permits where given out so I doubt it would be an infringement on someone's honey hole. Again, just looking for any and all information I can get and I will follow up on it. Thank you for your time. It's been a long wait and I hope to do the tag justice. I have killed a good deal of elk but never had the opportunity to hunt for a big bull. Not looking for the biggest bull in the unit (although I'd take it) but would like a good representation of what's in the unit. Thanks again
Updated, it's the modern rifle tag.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 08:23:22 PM by SI Eagle »

Offline WildBear

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: West Wenaha Quality Bull Tag
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 07:52:10 PM »
Wish I had info for ya. Just best wishes for a fantastic hunt!! Enjoy the process and preparation for a hunt like this. Enjoy and congrats!
Worst day hunting is better than best day working!

Offline High Climber

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 08:00:01 PM »
After 23 years I finally drew a quality bull tag. Started putting in my 20's and now in my 50's. Probably that last time I will put in for quality elk since I'll probably be dead before I draw again. With that said I may or may not be hunting alone or have help. Would love to know what to expect, if there is a packer (not a guide, just a packer) available near the unit, etc etc etc. Any help, advice, information would be greatly appreciated. I've waited a long time and want to make the best of it. And yes I know I need to be in shape. Personally, I have never hunted the unit and would love to hear from someone who has or been on the hunt with anyone else. Only five permits where given out so I doubt it would be an infringement on someone's honey hole. Again, just looking for any and all information I can get and I will follow up on it. Thank you for your time. It's been a long wait and I hope to do the tag justice. I have killed a good deal of elk but never had the opportunity to hunt for a big bull. Not looking for the biggest bull in the unit (although I'd take it) but would like a good representation of what's in the unit. Thanks again.
Good luck to you! which weapon?

Offline LuckyDog

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 08:19:17 PM »
Curious about your weapon type too. My brother and I drew this unit for an archery tag in 2011 and did well. Can't speak to any changes since that time but happy to share what we learned through that season anyway.

Offline SI Eagle

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 08:19:48 PM »
Sorry, rifle tag

Offline LuckyDog

• Tracker
Re: West Wenaha Quality Bull Tag - Modern Rifle
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 08:54:51 PM »
P.M. sent

Offline CackleBird98

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 08:57:07 PM »
Pm sent, you took my tag!   :chuckle: :dunno:.  Oh well, im not too mad, got drawn in bull elk, bethel rifle

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 10:56:36 PM »
Curious about your weapon type too. My brother and I drew this unit for an archery tag in 2011 and did well. Can't speak to any changes since that time but happy to share what we learned through that season anyway.

Major changes from 11 til now. Wolves and elk numbers not even in the ball park of 2011.

Offline deadyote

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 11:05:09 PM »
Was just in there for spring bear and seen tons of bulls and some dandys.  Get a hold of Mtncook, Dave waldron western life outfitters, he'll pack your meat for you and is a really good dude.  If you want some intel, shoot me a PM and I'll get you some areas where I've seen some studs.  Not going to be easy, but loads of fun if your in good shape. 

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 05:09:07 AM »
Saw 15 bulls in 2016  all 6 pt or better pre-wolf.    All hung 2/3 or more towards canyon botttom.  All 1100 yards out and tough to get close to.   They smell you at 900 yards .   I would be ready to shoot 700 yards.   

The packer we had lined up bailed on us and it took us 4 trips - 11 miles each trip - to get meat and cape out.     

Epic hunt.   

Offline jeffitz

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 08:18:30 AM »
Definitely call Dave at Western Life Outfitters in Pomeroy- great guy.
If you're gonna be dumb,you gotta be tough.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 09:43:17 AM »
Last fall I was on a ridge with alot of scrapes and bulls hanging around. Not far off the road even. I'll gather some info and send it your way. :tup:

Offline BRGS

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2020, 03:03:02 PM »
Good luck on this hunt its a great tag. I grew up hunting this unit and it has changed in the last several years, but still a good number of bulls. I drew the Muzzy tag last year and spent a lot of time up there and did see several good bulls over 360. I will PM you and let you know what I know. Take your own advise and get in shape and as others have said be prepared to possibly take a longer shot. Happy for ya.

Offline guygp

• Pilgrim
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2020, 04:10:19 PM »
Hi guys. I have also drawn a West Wenaha modern Quality Bull tag this year (2020).  I used 20 points and am now 61.  I've killed many bulls but none over about 300, so I'm looking for that lifetime trophy, if that is possible. I would like to learn about the area, having never been there, from you locals and hunters that have been there, and also interested in contact with my fellow tag holders.  I may be hunting alone as my father and his horses are now too old.

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2020, 04:20:59 PM »
Tagging along for the ride
Good luck what are the dates for the quality rifle tag?

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal