collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Batteries  (Read 5902 times)

Offline blindluck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Batteries
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2020, 08:48:20 PM »
I bought energizer batteries from Costco put them in my camera and they only read 60% battery life. I then opened the second package same thing 60%. Returned them and bought Duracell they read 98-99%.

Offline Mxracer532

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2020, 10:21:36 AM »
I run kirkland AA batteries in all my trail cams and have never had a problem.  I run them all winter long and depending on the set can get 8-14 months per set of batteries.  All my cameras take 8 AA batteries.  No way I can justify the cost of lithium based on my experience.
That's all I used to run also. But after batteries leaking in a couple cams and essentially ruining the cam I switched. This last go around I just bought energizer something or anothers. LOL
Avid ARCHERY deer and elk hunter.
Coyote killer in the off season.
MX Racer simi retired to practice when I can.

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2020, 10:42:45 AM »
This is so weird to me. I only get about 3 weeks out of my cam batteries. I do have it set on 3 and 30 and typically get about 1K-3K pictures a week so I'm sure that is the issue but I've never gotten more than a month out of any camera I have. No, not all the pictures are of animals as the sun and moving trees do account for some. I have StealthCam, Cabelas, Moultree, and SpyPoint cameras. 

I mostly use Home Depot HDX, Costco, Rayovac battries. Once I use the ones from the dollar store...once.
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2020, 11:54:29 AM »
Been using the same group if Eneloops for 3-4 years in 2-3 cameras.  Usually refresh early in the year if charge is low and they are still good the next year.  I probably run cameras actively for 3-5 months and then use the same ones off and on around the property.
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline gramps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2020, 12:26:25 PM »
Re:  leaking batteries.  A cotton swab and a weak acid, vinegar works well, can be used to clean up the leak and corrosion.  Most times the device will work just fine again.  Have successfully done this a number of times.
It never changes, but it is always different.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2020, 05:48:27 AM »
I run kirkland AA batteries in all my trail cams and have never had a problem.  I run them all winter long and depending on the set can get 8-14 months per set of batteries.  All my cameras take 8 AA batteries.  No way I can justify the cost of lithium based on my experience.
That's all I used to run also. But after batteries leaking in a couple cams and essentially ruining the cam I switched. This last go around I just bought energizer something or anothers. LOL

Did they leak while in use, or in off season while cam was in storage? I have put literally hundreds of kirklands thru 15 cams in the last 10 years, and have only had a battery leak once(while cam in storage) All cams batteryless in off season now.
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2020, 10:48:20 PM »
I think extreme cold will do it. I ve had a few leak and its always been super cold

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2020, 12:37:12 AM »
I avoid Duracell if I can help it.  They seem to be the worst culprits for leaking and corrosion.  The Kirklands  do much better. The Duracell have ruined a bunch of Costco flashlights.  Duracell are what they are packaged with and I keep making  the mistake of not just pitching them from the get go.
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline throwingsticks

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2020, 08:57:15 PM »
This subject comes up periodically so thought I'd share a recent experience.

Hung an older bushnell cam on Oct 2, 2019 @6000' elevation. Cam takes 4 AA bats. I always use Kirkland batteries instead of the name brand, or lithium ones. Set on 3 shot burst. 32g card.

The camera was retrieved on 6-23-20, so it was soaking for nearly 9 months.

Verdict..….8796 pics, took the vast majority of the pics in May of 2020, still taking pics up until June 7th 2020.

IMHO, Lithium batteries are not worth the cost.
Thanks! You just saved me some $$$ I was just getting ready to order some lithium batteries. I have had bad luck with Kirkland batteries leaking in remotes etc so I don't use them but this is reassuring.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2020, 09:05:29 PM »
The right side of my hearing protection wasn't working so I popped it open and the Costco AAAs leaked all over...  Nothing is perfect apparently.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2020, 06:02:47 AM »
The most common reason for any battery to leak is time...….Leaving an alkaline battery in a device for too long it will eventually leak. Take bats out of devices if you are not going to use them for a long time. I run 15 cams and change bats regularly as well as removing them if the cam is not in use. I have literally run 1000s of bats thru my cams and yet to have one leak.(knock on wood)  :chuckle:
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline Onewhohikes

• Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2020, 06:12:25 AM »
Run lithiums

Offline goldenhtr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2020, 07:46:01 AM »
How long do you guys store your unused batteries? and where or how.
Gen:27:3

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal