collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Trading in or selling guns to stores?  (Read 2113 times)

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
Trading in or selling guns to stores?
« on: June 28, 2020, 08:38:30 AM »
I’ve never done this but with transfer laws as they are it seems like it would be a lot easier to work with a gun store or Cabela’s rather than selling or trading with private parties.  Anyone have any experience with this route, recommendations, which stores to avoid, etc. ? 

Offline mountainman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Trading in or selling guns to stores?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 08:43:02 AM »
You typically can do better selling privately then through a store, $$'s wise. FFL check fee required either way
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline bornhunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 08:47:54 AM »
Be careful with Cabelas. The Lacey store is a joke. I took my model 29 5 screw 44 in there 3 times a few years back. First trip offered $1600 but the guy who carried the gun out for me said not to take less than $2K. Plus they didnt know how to identify a 5 screw. Second trip with same gun, $1200. Third trip guy said gun had been reblued, it hadnt and they said $600. Took the gun to Cabelas in Boise and they gave me $2900. Many of the guys evaluating guns at Cabelas dont have a clue. Shop around.

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 09:56:42 AM »
I’ve brought a few guns in to shops to potentially sell, not a single one has ever offered anything reasonable and I always walk. I now only bring guns for trade fodder, usually you get a lot more out of a deal when you’re buying something else from them.

They’ll always get you on both ends. Have something in an oddball caliber? “Sorry, can’t offer much because it’ll take forever to sell.” You better believe that price is going to get marked up because it’s “rare” if you do sell it to them, though.

My best advice is to find a good local FFL and transfer private sales through them. Could always do a consignment deal too, while the shop will take their cut, you’ll get a lot more than if you sell to the shop.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 10:02:44 AM »
You typically can do better selling privately then through a store, $$'s wise. FFL check fee required either way

:yeah: Think about selling your used car. You can make 30-40% more on a private sale than trading in at a dealer.  Same thing. A business needs to make a profit.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Igottanewknee

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 10:04:32 AM »
Some of the best deals I've gotten were someone bringing in a gun to trade or sell, to the place they purchased the gun originally, and the place offered them 50% of their purchase price. Made them offer on their way out and made a screaming deal.

Offline HighlandLofts

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: WAC,
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 04:53:41 PM »
The best way I sell guns through a business id at Sound Loan & Pawn on Hewit Ave in Everett.
I will lidt them on the gun forums first. If they do not sell them I put them down at Sound Lian on commission which is way cheaper then what tjey rape you on at any other gun store.
Jeff is a stand up guy and a straigh shooter.
WAC
NRA
Walk Light, Carry A Big Stick, Never Walk Away. - Teddy Roosevelt
Don't Take Your Guns To Town.   Johnny Cash

Offline HillHound

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 05:09:15 PM »
Some of the best deals I've gotten were someone bringing in a gun to trade or sell, to the place they purchased the gun originally, and the place offered them 50% of their purchase price. Made them offer on their way out and made a screaming deal.
Yep. Me too. Practically stole a sweet International Harvester M1 garand from an old boy who was trying to sell it in a pawnshop. They wanted to give him 25% of the value he laughed at them and on the way out I told him I would give him 40% of the value and he said sounds good. Almost felt bad but he was glad it was going to someone who could still take it out and shoot it

Offline T-Bone

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 02:27:51 PM »
As mentioned by others, a pawn shop or Cabela's is buying your gun to sell it; at best expect only 50% of what the gun is actually worth and shop around for best buy out price. I see budsgunshop.com is now offering a buy your gun service, too.
" America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 02:38:47 PM »
I’ve never done this but with transfer laws as they are it seems like it would be a lot easier to work with a gun store or Cabela’s rather than selling or trading with private parties.  Anyone have any experience with this route, recommendations, which stores to avoid, etc. ? 
Its really pretty easy to sell yourself, advertise them here, meet the buyer at an FFL that does transfers and your going to be money ahead... the biggest problem is the occasional flake you have to deal with...

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 03:45:35 PM »
Stores like Cabelas make money by buying guns from people that will take whatever they are offered. 

It isn't that they are trying to rip anyone off. They are flipping the gun so it has to be worth their effort.

I would only take it to a shop if you want to trade it in on a gun that is worth more. You can push harder on guns or calibers that don't sell as easily. Trading against something popular like a brand new P365 won't work very well.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 03:57:02 PM »
With the transfer laws, I have noticed selling used firearms is much harder than it use to be.  Now to sell a 750 rifle....you need to be priced 500 or less to even get people to look at it.  I'm not sure if people are burdened by the FFL or just down right in protest against it....but selling firearms has become much harder.  Well unless you want to just give them away at unreasonable prices. 

Find out what you believe to be reasonable and knock another 50 bucks off and the negotiating will start there.  I'd just assume keep my rifles than take it in the shorts private party or trade in at a business.  Our state has really screwed us with I-594. 

I'm not sure private party sales net you that much more than a 50% trade in value these days.  By time you price it reasonable, commute to meet the buyer at a mutually agreed upon FFL, spend half hour to an hour filling out the paperwork, pay the $25-50 FFL fee...etc., you likely are around the 50-60% new price.  Unless you have really desirable firearm. 

Just my two cents.... :tup:

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2020, 05:56:17 PM »
I seem to have the best luck advertising online and selling to people from out of state. People in other states seem to be much more willing to pay what the gun is actually worth. It's just as easy to box it up and drop it off at your nearest Fed Ex, UPS, or post office, as it is to meet someone in person at a gun dealer to do the transfer.

Offline Lumpy Taters

• Hunter
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2020, 09:05:11 PM »
Try and find a local FFL you like and trust.  Most offer transfer services and charge very little.   Some even offer consignment options if you want them to sell it for you.   Every time I have tried to trade in or sell a gun to a large chain store they offered bottom dollar.  I walked every time and ended up selling privately or at a gun show. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]