collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to the area  (Read 2512 times)

Offline jason balazs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • www.facebook.com/outdoorproductreviews
New to the area
« on: July 08, 2020, 12:24:55 PM »
Hey guys,
 Well just got stationed in Bremerton and I am totally clueless as to the hunting regulations up here. I have a Doctoral degree and reading these regulations is almost as bad as some of my anesthesia books. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: New to the area
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 12:39:34 PM »
If you're hunting big game, figure out which hunting method you'll use (Modern, Muzzle, Archery), and where you want to hunt in the state (I would imagine around Bellingham as close as possible unless you get leave). Then go to the section which shows a graph of the hunting seasons for that critter and that method (Archery Deer, ML Elk, etc.). It'll show you dates, minimum requirements (buck only, 3-point minimum, etc.), and unit numbers for those guidelines. Keep in mind that the state is split into East (units in the 100s, 200s, and 300s) and West (units in the 400s, 500s, and 600s). Then read all of the hunting general regulations/laws and legal shooting hours for your hunt dates, and you should be all set. You'll probably also want to know which other game animals will be in season where you're at and when you're there (r.e. small game animals, grouse, bear and cougar, etc.). There may be specific game rules for each unit, as well (like firearm restrictions, etc.)

This should help with making your plans. Keep in mind that about 60% of the state is privately-owned, a lot of that by timber companies, many of whom charge for access. A lot of those have already sold-out access permits. So you'll want to ask more questions of the forum once you have an idea of where you'd like to hunt, or maybe ask where people think you should hunt (FYI: there are no elk in the Blues). Once you've figured out the general area, go through the regs page by page. Good luck and thanks for your service to our great nation.  :tup:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 12:47:02 PM by pianoman9701 »
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 01:02:53 PM »
If your an archer KBH in Belfair is the closest archery club to you.  since you said you were in Bremerton.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iXmikT09Yf2ydCLXpmNrbwcb4p1BYfdf/view
http://www.kbh-archers.com/facilities

I have made great friends at my archery club and if you are an archer they can get you on point for the season.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline cb1989

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 03:48:39 PM »

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 09:54:54 PM »
Doctor, dentist, or nurse anesthetist?

I thought the same way you did after reading the regs for  the first time.  Basically, they are broken into chapters for each type of game animal.  Once you know what you want to chase, you can explore the options for type of weapon and the seasons (dates) that you can hunt by each method.  Elk are the only game that you have to choose East Side or West Side (of the Cascades).  There's a lot of good areas for deer not too far away from Bremerton if you head west, but you'll have to hit the Olympics if you want to chase elk.

If you check out the GMU maps for deer and elk, you can pick those GMUs that you are interested in and find the dates that they are open for each type of weapon.  DNR lands are a good place to start your exploring/scouting.  Maps of each GMU are available somewhere on the WDFW website (I believe).  They used to have a better mapping app but they messed up the website entirely.  Onyx Maps is an app that a lot of members use.  You can get for your phone that makes it easy to identify owners of the lands you're interested in for somewhere around a hundred bucks/year.

There are deer, elk, bear, and cougar on both sides of Puget Sound and many areas west of you are easier to get to than crossing the Sound and driving another hour or six.

If you're a Navy Dentist - PM me.  I'll give you some better info if I can - (takin' care of the bros.  I retired from the Dental Corps fourteen years ago). 

Have fun!!
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline samdubs1

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 03:44:20 PM »
Welcome to Washington. I have been here 2 years now and I still have to reread the regs when i see them. I think I have it down now but definitely not something i have ever saw in the states I hunted before.
Retired crusty old Senior Chief USN

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 08:23:47 PM »
Exactly.  It gets easier the longer you work with them.  Pretty soon you only look at the Special Hunts pages, the dates of the seasons for the animals you're chasing, and the first light/last light hunting hours for any given week. 
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 10:04:58 AM »
And multiple errors and corrections available later, maybe.  Welcome to Washington!!!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 04:08:29 PM »
One post and no follow-up since? I wonder how many forums the guy messaged with the same post.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 10:15:28 PM »
 :yeah:  He probably never read any of the responses.   :(

Offline jason balazs

• Pilgrim
    • www.facebook.com/outdoorproductreviews
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2021, 02:03:32 PM »
:yeah:  He probably never read any of the responses.   :(

I did.
Sorry, been swamped at work lol.

I’m a Nurse Anesthetist

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2021, 02:26:57 PM »
Remember: good dealers don't take their own chit!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal