collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Economical training collar with continuous vibrate.  (Read 2551 times)

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
Economical training collar with continuous vibrate.
« on: July 22, 2020, 06:14:09 PM »
Subject sort of sums it up.  My pup is a family dog, we do not bird hunt, but we need to work on her obedience when outside and out of reach.  I have purchased 2 collars off of Amazon so far and both are not functioning (due to design) as I need them to.  When holding the vibrate button down the vibrate is an intermittent pulse with a pause (bzz, bzz, bzz) rather than being a continuous (bzzzzzzzzzzz) until I release the button.  The vibration starts and stops even when the button is held on.  The training videos I have watched and want to follow use continuous vibrate until the pup completes the task.

Does anyone know of a collar that functions with a continuous buzz that does not cost $200+?  I do not need ruggedized, water proof, or 1/2mi range all those units typically have.  I just need something for around the house to get her to understand that even though we are outside and she is out of reach she still needs to listen to us and finish the task.

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
Re: Economical training collar with continuous vibrate.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 06:32:52 PM »
don't know about continuous "buzz" but we bought the bousnic collars off amazon.  small, lightweight and you can run two dogs off one controller.  we just went camping this past weekend and both collars held a charge for 3 days with only turning them off when the dogs were sleeping.  I think it has a 300 yard range and you can change the vibration/audible beep/stimulus levels.  I think we paid $70 for the package (two collars/one controller).  i do know that once our dogs were subject to the stimulus after being "buzzed" (it also emits an audible beep) they hauled ass back to our position with only a short buzz/beep and no we only had the stimulus on a low level.  I highly recommend these collars
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 07:19:56 PM »
For those curious, this is the trainer and series I have been following.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 08:02:23 PM by lamrith »

Offline WildW00d

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 08:01:00 PM »
I have watched a lot of their YouTube videos, they have a great understanding of dog training and create very good videos, so you're in the right place. I have a young bird dog and got the Garmin(Formely tri-tronics) sport pro. It's in the $250 range, but well worth it imo. Can have up to 3 dogs on it in case you have more pups. Is geared more for hunt training applications, but has electric stim.,vibrate and tone. Began with stim and it has been night and day with her. I only use the vibration mode now as that is enough to get her attention when needed. It is an investment, but well worth it and I feel like it's built well for many years or use. Good luck with your pup! If you introduce it to the collar correctly and understand how and when to use it you can expect good results from any brand

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 08:03:00 PM »
The problem is you need a well built reliable collar and those can't be had for $29.  I went through several and just bit the bullet and bought a quality unit.  Then I lost the remote and bought a second.  Anyway, money well spent.

Our challenge is that the dog tends to swim off to the sunset chasing birds which isn't ideal when you hunt saltwater.  It was a safety issue and well worth the money.

Offline Sandberm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 08:20:01 PM »
We hired a trainer to help us with our rescue dog and got a Sportdog brand SD825SMS.
You can look up the price as it came with our training service. Works good for us.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 09:07:39 PM »
I have watched a lot of their YouTube videos, they have a great understanding of dog training and create very good videos, so you're in the right place. I have a young bird dog and got the Garmin(Formely tri-tronics) sport pro. It's in the $250 range, but well worth it imo. Can have up to 3 dogs on it in case you have more pups. Is geared more for hunt training applications, but has electric stim.,vibrate and tone. Began with stim and it has been night and day with her. I only use the vibration mode now as that is enough to get her attention when needed. It is an investment, but well worth it and I feel like it's built well for many years or use. Good luck with your pup! If you introduce it to the collar correctly and understand how and when to use it you can expect good results from any brand
Thanks for the info and sharing your experience!  My pup is a good girl for the most part, just 5mos old last week.  But has realized when outside she can wander and not listen and that there is no real repercussion.  Need to nip that in the butt asap.
I have been impressed with their videos and even more-so their recent You Ask We Answer Series.  Plus they are responsive when you ask questions directly and willing to help.  They run DT systems units, there are a few in the $200 range.  A Co-worker has a sportDOG SD-425 that I will be taking a look at tomorrow, little more affordable in the $160 range.  I was just hoping to hit more the $100 mark, but just seems units jump from $30-60 to $150 and only the $150+ have the continuous vibrate feature like StandingStone uses for training.

Offline muledhunter

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 06:52:59 AM »
we follow standing stone as well. Looks like this collar should fit your needs.

https://dtsystems.com/product/remote-trainer_micro-idt/

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 09:12:34 AM »
we follow standing stone as well. Looks like this collar should fit your needs.

https://dtsystems.com/product/remote-trainer_micro-idt/
HAHA.  Stumbled on that one lastnight, found on Amazon for $135 shipped.  I should get it Sunday.

Offline WildW00d

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 08:41:23 PM »
Hey lamrith, how do you like your new collar, is it what you were looking for?

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 09:29:41 PM »
Hey lamrith, how do you like your new collar, is it what you were looking for?
Collar works very well, just as described, and what I was looking for in terms of features.

However I realize now that it is overkill for my needs and my pup.  She responded well with the vibrate initially but quickly became very submissive of it.  I never even used the static stimulation.  The video training series I was watching they used continuous vibrate until the dog completes the requested task.  But that was with GSP's, they seem to respond or need the continuous pressure, or at least they do not shut down from it.  I have seen a few lab video using that format and you can see the dog get submissive of it.  My lab very much does not need me to hold vibrate on, a quick buzz to get her attention as needed and she is focused and doing what I have asked.  So one of the simple cheap units I first purchased would have been perfect and they are much easier to put on the dog with snap buckles like a flat collar.

It is a great collar and anyone looking for a good training collar I can recommend it, especially if you are going to be needing it out bashing thru the fields and diving for ducks, it is built for that sort of hard use.

Offline WildW00d

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 10:02:35 PM »
Yeah, I guess it's one of those things where you're not sure how the dog will respond until you actually start using it.

Idk, but maybe the vibration is too much for her at her size. Maybe it's a male v female thing, just speculation, but I chose a female over male due to the breeder stating males being harder to train and more headstrong. Which may be some truth to that as I still leave the seat up every once and a while :)

Offline WildW00d

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 10:09:49 PM »
My pup is a GSP and I've watched a lot of standing stone vids, so I try and implement their techniques as they are renowned dog trainers, but each dog is different. I've rarely held the vibrate down for that long on mine, contrary to their standard technique. I use it simply as a quick way to get her attention and it works 85% of the time before having to apply the electric stimulation.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 01:02:24 PM »
never heard of them or anyone using vibrate continuous as a collar conditioning method. Some people like to invent ideas I guess?

Your pup shouldn't be shutting down. Especially with vibrate. Something is wrong.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 01:15:21 PM »
I have two Dogtra collars, the lesser cost one is the 200C, available on Amazon for $189.  Works flawless and waterproof and Dogtra has a pretty good warranty program.  As far as I know it's continuous, I use the vibrate to test to make sure it's on before I put it on the dog.

Our dog doesn't respond to leash collars, even some pretty aggressive cinch ones, but she will drop whatever she is doing if I nick her with the vibrate.  I think dogs respond differently to some extent.  I probably only use the electric button once every year if something is going very poorly, the vibrate seems to throw the switch in her mind that brings her out of full on not think chase mode back to reality land where she knows what she should be doing.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]