collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bird Hunting WA  (Read 1644 times)

Offline boneill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Bird Hunting WA
« on: July 26, 2020, 08:59:40 AM »
Hi All, my name is Brian. Not super active on WAHunt, but I've posted a handful of times over the last few years. I grew up pheasant and grouse hunting in Minnesota, with annual trips to South Dakota every year or so. Since moving to WA 10 years ago, my focus shifted to big game (no bird dog, not great bird hunting near me). There's been a huge vacancy in my hunting seasons ever since, and I finally decided to pull the trigger on a female GSP in March. Millie is now 6 months old and coming along great. High prey drive, very attentive, eager to please, wicked smart. Can't wait to hunt behind her this fall. 

I live in the White Salmon Valley near Trout Lake (grouse country). Although I like grouse hunting, it doesn't quite excite me as much as big open country and watching the dogs work. So, I've decided I want to become a chukar hunter. Never done it before, but I've heard the first time is for fun and ever time after that is for revenge. Seems like that's right up my alley- I love backcountry travel and hunting, I'm no stranger to being uncomfortable and pushing my limits.  I've been doing a lot of e-scouting and finally got some boots on the ground near the Tieton River last weekend. Tieton/Yakima/Naches is where I'd like to focus because it's close enough for weekend trips and it sounds like both chukar and quail populations are solid. I'd  love to pick peoples brains about hunting that country. I'm not looking for specific spots, more tips/advice on how/where to find chukar. Hunt them top down? Bottom to top? There is rimrock everywhere,  what specifically are you looking for in the rimrock? How close to water do you find chukar? etc,  etc. If anyone did feel like talking specific spots, I'd be more than happy to swap spots with you (although a lot of my spots are for big game or grouse, so not sure how appealing that is to folks). Anyhow, just wanted to put some feelers out there. Again, not asking for spots, just hoping to connect with some folks with knowledge around the Tieton/Yakima/Naches drainages. Thanks in advance, please feel free to PM me.

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Bird Hunting WA
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 07:18:20 PM »
Do you have the onX app on your phone? Send me a PM regardless. I'll give you a few pointers for that specific area.

Offline joe_dumy

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 08:30:14 AM »
Rimrock is a good indicator of chukar country. Water is key early season. They roost up top at night and work their way to water everyday. Look for sign tracks crap and green cheat grass shoots. Lots of potential in your area within a 2 hour drive. Oregon is good too. Just look for water and rimrock shale pockets of high sage and go explore. You might find that hidden gem while everyone else is pounding the more popular spots. Plan on climbing 2500 and 5 to 10 miles. Somedays are hit and miss. Should have zigged when you should have zagged. Listen for their distinct call. Look for raptors both good things to head towards.

Offline boneill

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 06:58:59 PM »
Appreciate the responses guys, thanks!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]