collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Okanogan ATV rules  (Read 5308 times)

Offline The100Road

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • https://m.facebook.com/Rowdengamecalls/
Okanogan ATV rules
« on: July 29, 2020, 12:42:39 PM »
Hey there!
Does anyone know if you can ride quads on the roads in the okanogan National Forest outside of tonasket? I’ve looked online and can’t find a real straight answer. I’ve been told that yes you can and then told that you use to be able to but now will get a ticket. I called the ranger station in tonasket and the lady on the phone wasn’t sure so she asked someone and called me back. She said as long as it’s “highway ready”. What does that mean? My quad is licensed and has headlight and break lights. Am I good to go?

Most of what I find online mentions available trails to ride. I want to know if I can ride my quad on the same roads that I drive me truck.

Thank you!

Offline Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Okanogan ATV rules
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 12:51:38 PM »
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd521079.pdf

Pretty standard to get varying answers regarding ATV use. Hopefully that link is helpful and the roads you want to ride are on it.

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 12:52:06 PM »
Here this might help you
okanogancounty.org/PW/recreation_information.htm

https://newashingtontrails.com/

It varies over there where you can ride, but let me tell you if you are not right next to a popular public spot lots of people ride without getting a ticket (not saying you wont) but during hunting season lots of ATV's around that are not legal and the forest cops etc do nothing.
Also note you may see locals riding that seem not legal but if they are farm exempt they are ok.
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 01:39:35 PM »
There's two ways to license your ATV

Offroad = allows you to ride on approved trails,  see ATV use map Buckhunter24 posted:  https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/okawen/recreation/ohv/?recid=57113&actid=93

Onroad = allows you to ride on most county roads (in ATV friendly counties) that are 35MPH and under, most dirt roads and a lot of towns that are ATV friendly. Valid drivers license is required. 

ONroad requires tail light, headlight, mirrors, horn, maybe blinkers too, and you have to go to the dealer for an inspection and pay your $50 and you'll get an ONroad sticker. 

You can buy a kit to convert about any ATV to onroad, or dealers can do it for more $$

FEDERAL lands do not recognize ATV's as highway use vehicles regardless of how they're licensed,  so that makes a lot of confusion on where you can ride them on national forests,  typically it isn't enforced,  but you are still required to ride on approved ATV trails within national forest systems. 

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 08:51:00 PM »
There's two ways to license your ATV

Offroad = allows you to ride on approved trails,  see ATV use map Buckhunter24 posted:  https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/okawen/recreation/ohv/?recid=57113&actid=93

Onroad = allows you to ride on most county roads (in ATV friendly counties) that are 35MPH and under, most dirt roads and a lot of towns that are ATV friendly. Valid drivers license is required. 

ONroad requires tail light, headlight, mirrors, horn, maybe blinkers too, and you have to go to the dealer for an inspection and pay your $50 and you'll get an ONroad sticker. 

You can buy a kit to convert about any ATV to onroad, or dealers can do it for more $$

FEDERAL lands do not recognize ATV's as highway use vehicles regardless of how they're licensed,  so that makes a lot of confusion on where you can ride them on national forests,  typically it isn't enforced,  but you are still required to ride on approved ATV trails within national forest systems.

It isn't enforced on some ranger districts because there is no law that says you can't. They will preach to you its illegal, but there is no law (CFR) to back up there claim.
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline pashok23

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 09:09:14 PM »
Do you need special license to ride an ATV on the forest land?

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 09:29:15 PM »
I had a game warden tell me specifically not to use my quad above pearrygin in national forest
Street legal or not
I think it’s BS
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 09:34:08 PM »
I had a game warden tell me specifically not to use my quad above pearrygin in national forest
Street legal or not
I think it’s BS

That area isn't in the Travel Plan.

Offline The100Road

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • https://m.facebook.com/Rowdengamecalls/
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 01:06:45 PM »
Thanks guys. The links above do help.

Offline lastmk8

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 01:21:23 PM »
Took my side by side over last year, but did a couple things first.  I called the Tonasket Ranger station and talked to a nice fella.  Told him where I was hunting and where I might be driving around and he told my I was fine in that area.  I did take his name down just in case.  Anyway, the particular trailhead for this are is now listed on their Travel Use map and states OK for side by side use.  I took over again this spring for the weekend and saw plenty of side by sides out and about, almost a dozen of them at various areas around the forest.  Mine is licensed and stickered for off road use, I'm not Street legal". 

I personally think it is a matter of time before they are listed as OK to ride as they become more popular.  Then again, unless everyone starts getting "off road" and ripping up the forest then I see it going a completely different direction.

My Ranger buddy I talked to told me there was one Ranger in that area who would write his own grandmother a ticket, just to make sure she knew he was in charge. 

Offline bornhunter

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 03:10:04 PM »
Took my side by side over last year, but did a couple things first.  I called the Tonasket Ranger station and talked to a nice fella.  Told him where I was hunting and where I might be driving around and he told my I was fine in that area.  I did take his name down just in case.  Anyway, the particular trailhead for this are is now listed on their Travel Use map and states OK for side by side use.  I took over again this spring for the weekend and saw plenty of side by sides out and about, almost a dozen of them at various areas around the forest.  Mine is licensed and stickered for off road use, I'm not Street legal". 

I personally think it is a matter of time before they are listed as OK to ride as they become more popular.  Then again, unless everyone starts getting "off road" and ripping up the forest then I see it going a completely different direction.

My Ranger buddy I talked to told me there was one Ranger in that area who would write his own grandmother a ticket, just to make sure she knew he was in charge.

Defund the Forest Service cops!!!!

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 08:47:30 PM »

THIS is what really ticks me off. I see wayyyyyyy more off road damage by 4x4 vehicles and motorcycles than I do by ATV types. We get all the blame for every single action, yet other user groups can hit the berms, and mudholes and travel off road for all kinds of reasons willy nilly.  >:( >:(
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2020, 09:34:27 PM »
Great info guys, been wondering about this one...

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2020, 06:43:16 AM »

THIS is what really ticks me off. I see wayyyyyyy more off road damage by 4x4 vehicles and motorcycles than I do by ATV types. We get all the blame for every single action, yet other user groups can hit the berms, and mudholes and travel off road for all kinds of reasons willy nilly.  >:( >:(
:yeah: I'll add horse trails, have you seen them, talk about damage.  Now don't get me wrong, I love horses and what they do for us in the woods, my best experience hunting was being taken in the back country 14 miles in wyoming.  But have you tried walking on a used horse trail??? 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2020, 06:49:26 AM »
I had a conversation with a forest service worker up in the hills last weekend about my e bike, it's a 750 watt.  He reminded me that I couldn't ride it in the backcountry, I explained to him I knew that, then he said I couldn't ride it on a trail that is open to bikes.  That's when I told him there are too many chiefs and they all have their own rules, here on the west side, we have anti every thing all over.  Go east and in certain areas it's the same, but go to Idaho and montana, FREEDOM.  I've never been harassed in Idaho riding my quad anywhere!  Responsible riders don't hurt squat, stay out of gated or closed roads.  Too many organizations with different rules, this side of the road your ok, that side your getting a ticket, WTH.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal