collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First Idaho Hunt  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Blacktail_Obsessed_19

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
    • Riley christensen
First Idaho Hunt
« on: August 04, 2020, 02:30:43 PM »
This year in October, myself and two of my buddies will be making our first out of state Idaho hunt. Together we have 2 Deer tags and 1 Elk tag.

We are headed down to the salmon units, 21, 21b, 28, and 36B. Yes that is a wide range and we went over for 3 weeks in June to do some scouting/figure out the land which was a success. But when October hits obviously things will be a lot different.

I am looking for advice of maybe some areas we can hunt and focus on for both elk and deer. Weve been in the units 21 and 28 but didn't have a ton of time to explore 36b like we wanted to.
We ventured into the frank church a couple miles but that was it. Mainly looking for strategies, maybe some locations we can hit, Obviously I know that i am asking for a lot but anything information helps.

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: First Idaho Hunt
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 02:47:19 PM »
What was successful about the 3 weeks you spent there in June? If I spent 3 weeks scouting an area in June, that's where I would be in October.

Those units you listed are massive and you've already dedicated time and energy on an area, don't get overwhelmed with the available area, focus on what you've learned thus far and run with that, you should have no problem finding the animals there come October.
Just tend your own and live.

• Tracker
    • Riley christensen
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 02:49:35 PM »
i meant 3 weeks ago*  i was only there for 2 days

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 03:15:48 PM »
Regardless the OP's point is valid.

Offline cutmymango

• Tracker
    • none
  • Groups: none
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 03:23:08 PM »
I also am headed to the salmon area specifically 36b. Never been there before but I do have a archery elk tag. Headed out to take a look at things the weekend of the 22nd to confirm what I’ve seen on google earth. Not sure if you’ve been out recently or not but curious if you’d be willing to chit chat about some of the area out there or if anyone else would like to chime in and drop some helpful September info that’d be sweet. Looking for all the info I can get.

• Tracker
    • Riley christensen
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 04:07:54 PM »
Ok i understand what he was saying and i thought in my original post i made it clear that I understand all of that.

I am trying to get pointers out of you guys since others have maybe had personal experiences and strategies that work in these areas. I should've spell checked on my first post, but now that i have everyone on the same page these are my intentions. Just looking for pointers and areas like "these certain types of drainages with this certain vegetation is where i found to have the best luck" type of advice. Ive never hunted anywhere but Western Washington, where i am going is not heavily wooded areas like the areas i hunt now.

I Hope everyone understands what i am asking now.

• Tracker
    • Riley christensen
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 04:16:35 PM »
@cutmymango From the few days i went, i didnt go down to 36B but i couldnt imagine it being that much different than 28 with them being butted up to eachother.

What i got from my trip is that it is steep and rocky. some big burn areas with lots of blow down, and the elevations range from 4500-8000 ft. in unit 28 i never got into any areas with nice underbrush for a little cover for something like around here in washington you can call a bull into 10 yards but in some of the thick areas you cant get a shot. Archery elk hunting would be a blast in these units but man it can get steep. A few of my buddies have archery hunted the last two years in the salmon units and had great success. maybe when you go over into the 36b We can link up and chat about that unit because i never really got a chance to venture that way.

Offline cutmymango

• Tracker
    • none
  • Groups: none
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 04:21:01 PM »
Yeah I’ll let you know how it goes. I’m hunting it with a group of three. The two other guys have made it over once already and did find elk. It is steep and lots of blow down like you said. There’s lots of things I’m considering come September, a big one being weather and water and how important those two things will be come September. Lots to learn and figure out!! We’ll be out there from the 5th to the 18th of sept.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]