collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Jeep Electrical Issue, help?  (Read 5024 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Jeep Electrical Issue, help?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2020, 12:51:00 PM »
Might want to look into whether or not those PCM's need to be programmed once installed too. I can't remember as it's been a few years since my Chrysler/Jeep days. I think they do.

The starting fluid/gas into the throttle body would be a quick way to tell if it's a fuel delivery issue. Spray a little in while someone is cranking the engine over and see what happens. If it starts briefly, you know you've got fuel delivery issues. More than likely a fuel pump. It would take me zero hands to count how many clogged fuel filters I've seen.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2020, 12:57:08 PM »
Doesn't that key have a gray head? If so it is a SKIM key. Do you have a spare to try?
Yep a PCM will need to be programmed to the vehicle.
Fuel issue like others have mentioned, easy check.
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline Sutherland

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2020, 02:19:49 PM »
Yup, check fuel first. Then branch out from their if needed. Let us know what you find, Im curious now.

Offline cavemann

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2020, 03:47:41 PM »
It's not a chipped key, just old school metal key like a house key..

No start even with starter fluid..

The bigger issue that is the frustrating one is the gauges.  A lot of videos on electrical issues with gauge cluster not working.  with key in and cranking gauges don't work.  they were fine.  now that it won't start, gauges are bad as well. Leads me to believe they are related. 

Offline Buckmark

• Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2020, 04:15:44 PM »
You said you just installed an alternator (not sure of the quality) but i bet you blew a big fuse in the PDC (power distribution center) located under the hood, passenger side (the one with the relays and higher amp fuses.)
If you did it could be a bad part or you got a wire close to something that took a bit to short it out.
You said it was running for just a little while and flat died (like the key was shut off) now you have no ignition (did not fire off with starting fluid means no sparky) and no gauges activate with key on.
Check all those fuses, if you find one bad replace it and try again, if it fails disconnect the new Alt and try it again, if it does not fail viola...

Thats what i would be doing......actually i would be having my guys do it  :chuckle:

To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2020, 04:27:42 PM »
Doesn't that key have a gray head? If so it is a SKIM key. Do you have a spare to try?

You're late to the skim key party, buddy.
:chuckle:

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Buckmark

• Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2020, 04:31:48 PM »

You're late to the skim key party, buddy.
:chuckle:
Yep saw he said it was not, but you know about people asking for diagnostics on HW are like.
Atleast i did not try to change what engine he has  :chuckle:

Offline cavemann

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2020, 09:24:08 AM »
You guys crack me up...  For what its worth, the motor cover says 2.4L..  My 2004 I had years ago was 2.4 and below are some specs.  I'm just going off of that.  Tried spare key and original and yes both are bare metal no chip keys.  In fairness, yes I'm coming to HW for help and by no means a mechanic so deserve all the ribbing!! :chuckle:

So, the new alternator tested bad after trying to get it going.  Neighbor is OK with cars and metered it thinking maybe got a bad one.  O'Reiley's and Pep Boys bench test both said its bad.  Battery tested good but will not take a good charge.  Putting new battery and alternator in again today.  Thinking there is a short or electrical issue frying both??  Funny story, her battery was stolen while she was at work about 9 months ago so it should have been fine.  Had never been run dead.  Alternator was replaced 2 years ago.  Seems odd both could be failing being relatively new.

Grounds at PCM plug tested good, all frame grounds are good after pulling off and I cleaned good anyway.  It's getting fuel.

Alternators are warrantied so money lost there.  Just $150 in with the battery.  It's looking like it might be a lost cause if it gets too involved, not looking to throw a ton of money at it.

2004 Jeep Wrangler SE 2.4L (man. 5) (model since mid-year 2003 for North America U.S.) car specifications & performance data review

Specs datasheet with technical data and performance data plus an analysis of the direct market competition of Jeep Wrangler SE 2.4L (man. 5) in 2004 the model with 2-door sport-utility soft-top body and Line-4 2429 cm3 / 148 cui engine size, 109.5 kW / 149 PS / 147 hp (SAE net) of power, 224 Nm / 165 lb-ft of torque, 5-speed manual powertrain offered since mid-year 2003 for North America U.S.. Specifications listing with the outside and inside dimensions, fuel economy, top speed, performance factory data and ProfessCars™ estimation: this Jeep would accelerate 0-60 mph in 9.8 sec, 0-100 km/h in 10.5 sec and quarter mile time is 17.4 sec.

Offline Buckmark

• Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2020, 09:31:43 AM »
You did check all the fuses etc in the PDC correct?

On a side note, if you throw in the towel and want to get rid of it my step daughter wants a jeep wrangler and im looking for a project one (like i need more projects  :rolleyes :)

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2020, 09:43:50 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/APDTY-56041552AD-Crankshaft-2002-2003-2003-2004/dp/B006ZO3066
 :twocents:
Or a main fuse blown from a jump start.
That's my SWAG anyway.  :dunno:
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline cavemann

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2020, 09:48:16 AM »
You did check all the fuses etc in the PDC correct?

On a side note, if you throw in the towel and want to get rid of it my step daughter wants a jeep wrangler and im looking for a project one (like i need more projects  :rolleyes :)

If you are interested I'll let you know.  Her mom just put new allterain tires on and black wheels.  It's yellow hard top. 

Offline cavemann

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2020, 09:49:08 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/APDTY-56041552AD-Crankshaft-2002-2003-2003-2004/dp/B006ZO3066
Or a main fuse blown from a jump start.
That's my SWAG anyway.  :dunno:

Thanks Woodchuck!!  Would you know, if this was bad would it still crank? 

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2020, 09:57:21 AM »
Yes it would, it kills spark and injector pulse when they die. You will also not see the tach(if it has one) move while cranking. The fact that none of your gauges move KOEO is a little odd to me but crank sensor is very common.
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline cavemann

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2020, 10:01:09 AM »
Yes it would, it kills spark and injector pulse when they die. You will also not see the tach(if it has one) move while cranking. The fact that none of your gauges move KOEO is a little odd to me but crank sensor is very common.

This is sounding promising..  Going to track one down.  Thanks!!!!!

Offline ballpark

• Salty
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2020, 10:09:53 AM »
Are you throwing codes?  OBDII reader?
P0336  Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Signal  Problem with voltage signal from CKP
P0387  Crankshaft Position Sensor Supply Voltage Too Low  CKP sensor voltage input below the minimum acceptable voltage.
P0388  Crankshaft Position Sensor Supply Voltage Too High

https://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-39.htm

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal