collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW 2021-23 Hunt proposals  (Read 12460 times)

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
Re: WDFW 2021-23 Hunt proposals
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2020, 11:23:56 AM »
There are already seasons in place for scoped rifles...
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2020, 11:34:39 AM »
One of the proposals (#112 iirc) was for a spring grouse season. The very next proposal was to cutback grouse season because of downward population trends.

Makes me wonder how some of these proposals got as far as they did.
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2020, 11:38:57 AM »
One of the proposals (#112 iirc) was for a spring grouse season. The very next proposal was to cutback grouse season because of downward population trends.

Oh really? Like Alaska? I've seen videos of them hunting blue grouse in the spring up there. They only kill the males. Shoot them out of trees. Looks like fun to me.

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2020, 11:46:34 AM »

Oh really? Like Alaska? I've seen videos of them hunting blue grouse in the spring up there. They only kill the males. Shoot them out of trees. Looks like fun to me.

Regardless of whether the spring season sounds like fun or not, the justification seems contradicted by the justification for the very next proposal is all I'm saying. Hard to have it both ways  :dunno:

Offline haftard

• Hunter
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2020, 11:49:56 AM »

Are you kidding me tho on the 1x optic on muzzleloaders.

Did you not see the other proposal allowing magnifying scopes on muzzleloaders?

I did. Eather let us use scoped muzzle stuffer or make us use open sights. Doing a 1x optic would alow alot of grey area

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2020, 12:32:57 PM »
People act like 1 power scopes bring you closer view of the animal making it easier. All it does is allow a clearer site picture for people who have issues with eye site.
Although I can guess there are some that will try to stretch the law.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2020, 09:23:55 PM »

Regardless of whether the spring season sounds like fun or not, the justification seems contradicted by the justification for the very next proposal is all I'm saying. Hard to have it both ways  :dunno:

It would only be for males and would be by limited permit only. From the survey:

Implement a limited spring permit hunt for male dusky and sooty grouse and do not allow the use of hunting dogs for this hunt.

I would love to try hunting grouse in the spring.

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2020, 07:03:31 AM »

It would only be for males and would be by limited permit only. From the survey:

Implement a limited spring permit hunt for male dusky and sooty grouse and do not allow the use of hunting dogs for this hunt.

I'm not saying I'm for or against it.

The very next proposal is to delay the fall season. It reads
Harvest data, based on catch-per-unit-effort, indicate that Washington’s forest grouse populations are in a long-term decline.

The two proposals seem rather contradictory, at least on the surface.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2020, 07:23:34 AM »

Harvest data, based on catch-per-unit-effort, indicate that Washington’s forest grouse populations are in a long-term decline.

I thought the theory has always been that harvest of game birds by hunters has virtually no effect on the population numbers, as other things, like weather, is what really matters. At least I know that's what I was told 40 years ago in hunter education class.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2020, 07:41:47 AM »
People act like 1 power scopes bring you closer view of the animal making it easier. All it does is allow a clearer site picture for people who have issues with eye site.
Although I can guess there are some that will try to stretch the law.
How would anyone know it was only 1X?  Would game wardens be out looking through everyone's optics?

I've played with 1X on some scopes and rangefinders.  Decent glass in low light makes a big difference.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2020, 07:44:19 AM »

I thought the theory has always been that harvest of game birds by hunters has virtually no effect on the population numbers, as other things, like weather, is what really matters. At least I know that's what I was told 40 years ago in hunter education class.
You can hunt grouse Aug through March if you use a falconry bird.

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2020, 07:51:05 AM »

It just seems funny for the WDFW to be promoting both expanding and cutting back grouse seasons.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2020, 07:56:43 AM »

It just seems funny for the WDFW to be promoting both expanding and cutting back grouse seasons.

Not really expanding seasons when it would only be a limited permit opportunity.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2020, 01:02:12 PM »
Yeah, Wdfw can sell all kinds of opportunity to make it look like hunter prospects are good, but really don't have to sacrifice many animals.
They could make a high grouse hunt and give a months worth of spring season, but how many would go into the wilderness in March and be successful.

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2020, 01:07:08 PM »
Yeah, Wdfw can sell all kinds of opportunity to make it look like hunter prospects are good more money in application fees while game numbers decline, but really don't have to sacrifice many animals.
They could make a high grouse hunt and give a months worth of spring season, but how many would go into the wilderness in March and be successful.

Ftfy

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand