collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bow Shot Dilemma  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
Re: Bow Shot Dilemma
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2020, 01:34:06 PM »
Good call.  There will be other chances.  2 days ago i passed up a bear that was in thick brush where i just didnt like the shot due to it, and im using a rifle.  I made the same call over a bear at a wallow in 2015 when i was bowhunting, little brush in the way, im sure i could have made the shot, but he walked.  Tracking bears is not easy.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2020, 01:34:16 PM »
Never regret passing on a shot you weren't comfortable with.

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2020, 02:03:07 PM »
Right call, it is tough enough with a perfect shot

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2020, 02:39:03 PM »
I tried to put a finishing shot on a deer that was slowly walking away from me at 25 yards. i was on the same game trail it was. I attempted to but 2 arrows in the back of its head (which for me is very doable) and the small twigs that i couldnt see were enough to deflect the arrows away from the target. I can tell you anything of substance would have deflected it that much more. Good for you on passing up the shot, and yes it sucks.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline freshwateroctopus

• Tracker
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2020, 05:22:08 PM »
Thanks, everyone. Glad I got some good feedback and can head out again with a clear head. Appreciate it!
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2020, 07:16:45 PM »
I passed a few animals in similar situations

This winter practice shooting in brush...learn what your arrows does and its trajectory at very close distances...esp if its hits stuff

This is poor odds shooting but having at least some practice on your side will help you feel confident in either passing or shooting..this is esp useful for follow up shots, these are tough calls to make in the moment and I know I've messed up on alot myself

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2020, 07:40:26 PM »

This winter practice shooting in brush...learn what your arrows does and its trajectory at very close distances...esp if its hits stuff

This is poor odds shooting but having at least some practice on your side will help you feel confident in either passing or shooting..this is esp useful for follow up shots, these are tough calls to make in the moment and I know I've messed up on alot myself

Sorry but I am going to have to disagree with this IMO there is no decision to be made here shooting thru brush is a No follow up shots is another story.Practicing so you  think you can shoot thru brush is setting a person up for unethical shots and wounding animals
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2020, 08:43:56 PM »

Sorry but I am going to have to disagree with this IMO there is no decision to be made here shooting thru brush is a No follow up shots is another story.Practicing so you  think you can shoot thru brush is setting a person up for unethical shots and wounding animals

No worries  :tup:

I thinking practicing is the only way to go myself...if with in my limits I will always put a 2nd arrow into an animal but thats for each hunter to decide

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2020, 09:07:42 PM »

No worries  :tup:

I thinking practicing is the only way to go myself...if with in my limits I will always put a 2nd arrow into an animal but thats for each hunter to decide
I agree I think practice is great and agree a second arrow is always good if possible I was thinking of shooting the first shot thru brush wouldn't be good
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2020, 09:57:44 PM »
Just depends how far, how much brush, confidence

No different then any shot really...if the shooter thinks they can make the shot..they should do it

But thats up to the shooter

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2020, 10:22:31 PM »
You  made the harder call, but I think the right one to pass on the shot if it felt wrong.

Now teach your buddy to pay attention and not wander in while you are staring at an animal! :chuckle:
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline Threewolves

• Longhunter
  • USA (R)
  • Groups: VFW, NRA
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2020, 07:25:52 AM »
Hey, don't question yourself, you made a decision, you are past it, let it go and move on to the next bear. All the what ifs, if you would have shot, let that crap go, IF your Aunt had balls, she would be your Uncle.

Your only issue (imo) seems to be your hunting partner. The big IF. IF he would have correctly accessed the situation and backed off with in moments you may have had a shot. Maybe he will learn from this and become a better hunter himself. It is good to have someone pack half your bear off the mountain. But, if you don't think he can learn from this CUT him loose and hunt on your own. Your decision making process becomes clearer.

Ya, you have been laying into the hillside one cheeking it for three hours, over two hundred yards. Now, you are twenty yards away you come to your knees and pull your bow to full draw, but the angle doesn't look good, you have the presents of mind to let you bow down. The bear moves broadside he is focused on feeding, you come to full draw, his onside front leg is forward exposing everything....
There are only so many sunrises left.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2020, 09:31:09 AM »
Just depends how far, how much brush, confidence

No different then any shot really...if the shooter thinks they can make the shot..they should do it

But thats up to the shooter

:yeah: I hunt in the world of brush I rarely have a shot without some brush. Light brush right next to the animal like touching it can often be no problem. Same brush even 5 yards in front is a problem. If you hunt in brushy country practice shooting in brushy country! Shooting a block in your mowed and flat yard doesn’t really prepare you for hunting shots. It’s a good idea and each hunter needs to figure out his own limits. I have passed a lot of shots that I could have taken never regretted a pass. Op was right

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2020, 09:46:33 AM »
Game changer for me was learning to use my other pins to figure out arrow flight and learning what brush I was actually shooting "over" instead of through. You still have the difficulty of seeing well enough to know where to aim so that definitely factors in and I'd never try to shoot "through" brush.

Passing a shot your uncomfortable with turns into a good memory of a fun encounter. Making a poor shot on an animal sticks with you forever. Plus now you have something to bust your buddies chops about, "remember that time you blew that bear out right before he stepped into my perfect shooting lane". Good luck out there.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2020, 07:10:53 AM »
You did the ethical thing.  I would have done the non ethical thing and probably had a bear.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal