collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lessons from the high hunt the good the bad and the ugly  (Read 21092 times)

Online Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
Re: Lessons from the high hunt the good the bad and the ugly
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2020, 09:55:30 PM »
That’s hunting.🤣
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Joeykon123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: MDF RMF NRA
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2020, 10:55:14 AM »
This is a real page turner! Keep up the great writing!
Genesis 27:3

Offline savagehunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2020, 11:28:55 AM »
my boy showed up just after this and we shared a laugh about him forgetting his keys. Things like this happen and you can't get upset you need to save your energy for the task at hand. I told him the story about the missed bear and we both laughed at each other . Good times.
Once my son departed I was alone at camp and i headed up trail to glass some more. Time behind the glass does not fly it is hard tedious work that requires patience and concentration. I looked in all the pockets and holes edges and  draws hoping to see movement. My endeavor proved fruitless and as the shooting light disappeared I made my way back to camp.
Now extended trips with a partner are rarely boring but being in the woods by yourself is a different story. At this time I could hardly say I was alone as the number of hunters in this area fluctuated between 11 and 16 thats a lot for 2.5 miles of canyon. But I have been on two trips by myself alone in the wilderness as it were. Keeping focused and driving the boogeyman away are things that can wear on you. Don't overthink things. Of course your firearm gives some sense of security but it doesn't talk back to you. I went to the creek and pumped two gallons of water. Settled in camp and had a hot meal. Buy 9pm I was in my tent and found myself with 2 pillows. Small joys and I slept like a babe.

Offline savagehunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2020, 11:45:10 AM »
5 am found me up and raring to go. It had rained again overnight but the sky was clear and the smoke almost gone. I made a xup of coffee and filled my pack with necessities. Wow necessities weigh a lot when you are by yourself. Spotter, tripod ,lunch, gloves ,hat ,2 bottles of water , knife, water filter, mid layer and rain gear. My stone glacier pack weighed at least 30 pounds as I headed up hill to get to my regular spot a place i had not yet got to this year.
It is just over a mile to the place that has become our regular hangout during this hunt. The man who gave us the info so long ago about this hunt even specified the rock by which to set up. Dawn tinged the hillside in subdued color and shadow as i started to glass. 20 min to shooting light and nothing was moving. Though the temps were mild by previous years standards I put all the clothing I had on to stay comfortable.
Glassing while you are chilled makes it very hard to maintain your concentration or to hold your glass steady.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2020, 12:39:11 PM »
how do you know he didn't make up the detail about the rock?

Offline savagehunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2020, 01:17:13 PM »
Ah Bill he was so kind hearted to have given us such a gift that there was no reason for guile on his part. Not only did he give us a rock he gave us an insight of years and years and miles and miles of exploration trying to decipher where the bucks came from and where they were headed. He gave us more than a place to start hunting. He gave us a place to cement my sons heart in the mountains, to lock a new generation to the spirt of the hunt. For that I will be eternally grateful to you. A man who saw my post and joined Hunt Washington to impart knowledge wisdom and experience.  No greater gift can be given. Thank you so much.

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2020, 06:21:04 PM »
 :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY