collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Vertical grip stock for a hunting rifle?  (Read 1166 times)

Offline James

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Vertical grip stock for a hunting rifle?
« on: September 28, 2020, 02:01:12 PM »
It seems in the last few year’s stocks that have historically been more for precision rifles have been making their way into the hunting scene, not just aftermarket but OEM offerings as well.

I have handled a few over the years and generally like the ergonomics better than most hunting rifles (then again most hunting rifles don’t fit myself or my father at all), but I have never hunted with them, so I would love some feedback from people that have.

So people that use a tactical/precision rifle stock for hunting, what are your experiences? Positives? Negatives?

Any issues with still hunting with them, offhand shooting, or other hunting shooting positions?
You will never shoot a camp bull by spending all your time hunting in the woods.

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Re: Vertical grip stock for a hunting rifle?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 02:07:45 PM »
My family owns a few and we love them.  They tend to be heavier than a traditional rifle stock which has its pros and cons.  As for accuracy in a hunting scenario (sub 300 yards maybe???)......I say there is no real advantage in my eyes. 

The reason we own them is the are very modular and can be adjusted to everyone in the family.  The LOP and Comb can adjust to fit most shooters.  The actual grip is a non issue for me as I can shoot both traditional stocks and modern pistol grip style without a problem. 

Not sure if that helps....but that is my two cents on the topic.  They look cool, and are super modular / adjustable. 

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 02:15:42 PM »
Just because a stock has a vertical grip does not mean it is more adjustable than a sporter type stock. There are plenty of vertical grip stocks with zero adjustability.
There are also lots of options that arent notably heavier than sporter type stocks. Lots of companies make vertical grip stocks that are sub 2 lb.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 02:25:22 PM »
I have a couple that are almost vertical and like them, but normally dont care for the full vertical except for Ive had the pleasure of shooting a couple GRS stocked customs and that is the most ergo friendly stock Ive ever sat behind.

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 02:28:28 PM »
Just because a stock has a vertical grip does not mean it is more adjustable than a sporter type stock. There are plenty of vertical grip stocks with zero adjustability.
There are also lots of options that arent notably heavier than sporter type stocks. Lots of companies make vertical grip stocks that are sub 2 lb.

You are correct.  I guess I was speaking more to op’s point of newer style precision rifles that have hit the market in the last few years.   There are and have always been one piece traditional stocks with pistol grips.   

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 02:32:45 PM »
I much prefer vertical grip stocks for everything from prone to offhand and positional. I feel like it keeps your trigger hand at a much more natural angle, plus the grip seems a bit closer to the trigger on most vertical grip stocks.

Offline James

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 02:48:12 PM »
I really appreciate the feedback guys, thanks.

When I have handled them the more vertical grip seems to really align my fingers much more naturally with the trigger, but I haven't carried them in the woods for days on end so I just wanted to see if I was trading one thing for another.

I too have seen that recently you can get these type of stocks in weights that are comparable to standard hunting offerings, which is another reason this has peaked my interest.

Accuracy, fitment, etc. aside another reason for my interest is when I still hunt Roosevelt elk and blacktail deer I want a better sling/carry option.  I see many of these have quick release sling mounts on the bottom, side and sometimes even top of the stock. If I can get a stock and sling set up that allows me to carry the rifle in a "patrol style" take my hands off to glass every few steps without my rifle hitting me in the nuts like a single point sling that would be marvelous.

You will never shoot a camp bull by spending all your time hunting in the woods.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 10:19:50 AM »
I like the manners EH1, though palm swell could be a bit skinnier and I wouldn't mind.  Less than 2#.  Stocky's has similar style I ordered about 5 months ago but haven't received yet. 

I just try to stay away from any that have much drop at the heel which tends to create more muzzle rise.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]