collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Duck Decoys  (Read 3256 times)

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
Duck Decoys
« on: October 05, 2020, 11:14:14 AM »
Hello,

I'll be buying a dozen duck decoys at some point in the next week or two and I have a quick question. Most places I've looked at (Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse, Walmart, etc.) sell 12-packs of dekes but they're always in the same configuration of mallards (usually several drakes and a lesser number of hens) or, a dozen woodies, or dozen teal. I plan to hunt small bodies of water, ponds, etc., and I only want to use 12-14 decoys. I anticipate that most, if not all of my hunting will be in the basin. Given those logistics is it ok to use a dozen mallard decoys only, or should I buy a couple of mallards, a couple of coots, and some other species, just to mix it up? I want to keep it at about a dozen decoys. Or am I overthinking this and should I just go with the dozen mallard decoys that come in the same package?

Thank you,
Cliff

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
Re: Duck Decoys
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 11:16:56 AM »
I'm no expert compared to lots of the guys on here, but I've never had trouble shooting a mixed bag over a small spread of mallard decoys. Sometimes I'd just use a regular daypack and carry 3 or 4 when going to a little hole in the thick.

Keep an eye on yard sales and stuff later and you'll end up with a few teal, a few pintails, etc. Then you can mix it up!
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 11:19:59 AM »
Mallards will almost always be less expensive, even same brand and quality.  People shoot all kinds of ducks over mallard decoys.

I like to mix it up with other species if for no other reason than to be using something a bit different than most people.  I have also noticed some species like pintail seem to always land near pintail decoys.  From my experience, teal don't care, mallards don't care, pintail do, bufflehead do and I can't tell on wigeon.  It also depends if you are on the X or not, if it's where they want to be, they will bomb in decoys or not.  The less they want to be there the more important decoys and calling are in my opinion.

That said, the ones that have a preference still will get close enough for good shots, land very close but not in the spread or otherwise present themselves for a good shot.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 11:20:56 AM »
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Focus more on scouting, finding where the birds want to be and then hiding yourself. I have shot limits over no decoys or just 2-3. Another bit of advice is adding movement to your spread can be a huge benefit. Some spots I hunt I only pack in 6 decoys and 3 of those are on my jerk cord.

There are also "puddler pack" set ups that have multiple species if memory serves
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline goody31

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 11:26:05 AM »
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Focus more on scouting, finding where the birds want to be and then hiding yourself. I have shot limits over no decoys or just 2-3. Another bit of advice is adding movement to your spread can be a huge benefit. Some spots I hunt I only pack in 6 decoys and 3 of those are on my jerk cord.

There are also "puddler pack" set ups that have multiple species if memory serves

What he said!  Find the "X" pr where they want to be and sometimes all you need is 6 decoys and you'll have limits.

As for Wigeon, i can tell you from my experiences, they don't care either, they'll just land a little further out in the Salt here where I hunt, or on top of your decoys, all in shooting range.

Offline Chesterdog

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Eagle Scout
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 11:36:30 AM »
 :yeah:
I'll cast another vote for movement.  Ripples on the water seem to keep the ducks focus on the decoys and not your blind.  Jerk strings help. Wind spinners work in certain areas and certain situations. I hunted over a few winduk decoys last year and liked them. They spin in very little wind and are easy to pack in.  I usually only hunt over mallard decoys and shoot lots of teal, wigeon, and pin tail.  The teal decoys are quite small and might make for a good light pack-in setup.. I wonder if people shoot mallards over spreads of just teal or wigeon?

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 11:46:46 AM »
:yeah:
I'll cast another vote for movement.  Ripples on the water seem to keep the ducks focus on the decoys and not your blind.  Jerk strings help. Wind spinners work in certain areas and certain situations. I hunted over a few winduk decoys last year and liked them. They spin in very little wind and are easy to pack in.  I usually only hunt over mallard decoys and shoot lots of teal, wigeon, and pin tail.  The teal decoys are quite small and might make for a good light pack-in setup.. I wonder if people shoot mallards over spreads of just teal or wigeon?

I have thrown out just a half dozen teal decoys and had mallards in my spread. I don't think they care as long as their is safety and what they are looking for
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 12:27:49 PM »
Wow, I can't tell you how grateful I am to receive so much advice so quickly. Thank you very much. I will take your advice to heart.

I had about 15-16 dekes that someone gave me 25 years ago, but most have disintegrated and/or been chewed up by various puppies over the years, and these are all that remain that can still float:

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 12:39:49 PM »
If it were me I would paint those old mallards up with some Snow white with Titaniam oxide for the white patches then by a 3-6 pack of widegon and or same with teal. Green head gear seems to make good bang for the buck decoys. I second a duck but or some other way to make your decoy ripple in the water
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 12:40:09 PM »
Small spread you are going to want to find a way to be noticed. Movement is a must. If you can swing it try to get mostly drake decoys as they have more color and can been seen easier. I have hunted birds from Minnesota to the Pacific and I have had some great hunts with small spreads. You do need to make sure they see you though. Also, scouting, if you are in the place the birds want to go you could limit with 2 decoys. We call it being "On the X" and if you get there you almost can't go wrong with anything you try.   
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 12:43:12 PM »
Another thought is a decoy with a bunch of white like a couple of buffle heads or something tossed into the spread
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 12:54:49 PM »
Touch up the white on those decoys, particularly the tail and sides and they will be much more visible.  If it's a decent spot they would work if your on a budget.

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2020, 01:30:16 PM »
Ok, thank again guys. Yep, I am on a budget. I'll touch up these dekes and incorporate them into whatever dozen I buy. Appreciate it!

Offline Bill W

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2020, 01:31:49 PM »
Wow, I can't tell you how grateful I am to receive so much advice so quickly. Thank you very much. I will take your advice to heart.

I had about 15-16 dekes that someone gave me 25 years ago, but most have disintegrated and/or been chewed up by various puppies over the years, and these are all that remain that can still float:

I have an old batch of Flambeau's just like what's in your picture.  I'm 6 hours into the process of flocking 6 hens and 6 drakes.  I expect to be shooting over them on the opener.  Like Vandeman said there is a puddler pack of decoys.  If it was me I'd get the widgeon and gadwall ones and not buy the puddler pack that has the pintail in it.  I'd also get the bag with individual decoy pockets  to keep from scraping up the decoys.

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2020, 07:12:17 PM »
Thanks Bill W.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter