collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Deer camp trailer question  (Read 3903 times)

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Deer camp trailer question
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2020, 10:37:35 AM »
Does anybody else use compressed air to blow the lines out in their camper instead of using antifreeze?

I have a 20 ft trailer. Through various fittings I hook the air compressor line up to the city water connection using  the water pressure regulator attachment so there isnt 100+lbs of air pressure on the lines.

Gust of wind blows your tarp into the electric heater?

Nope tarp is stapled to wood blocks and tied off. Its not like you run the low temp heater 24/7.   Just keep it above freezing.   I drain my trailer.  Then pour antifreeze into ptraps that might have residual water. 
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline Buckmark

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2020, 10:52:08 AM »
Many of you might as well hunt in a tent.  Ha ha.  My new trailer is awesome I like hot water for showers, cold water for coffee so and and so forth.  Prepare your camp the right way and let it get cold and snow all it wants!   

A little planning goes a long long ways!  Insulate everything, wrap your trailer bottom with a good tarp, throw a electric heater under there and you are golden.
:bdid:
In the running for a Darwin award

1000’s of people must be wrong! And your right???   Come to just about any rv park on the eastside and see how it works.
Never said i was right, never said people don't do it, never said it wont work to keep things from freezing.
But i and im sure a few others (maybe not) would agree that running an electric space heater under a travel trailer with a tarp wrapped around it is not a very smart or safe idea  :twocents:
Just because someone does something doesn't  make it safe or correct
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 11:27:47 AM by Buckmark »
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline Buckmark

• Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2020, 10:53:57 AM »
Does anybody else use compressed air to blow the lines out in their camper instead of using antifreeze?

I have a 20 ft trailer. Through various fittings I hook the air compressor line up to the city water connection using  the water pressure regulator attachment so there isnt 100+lbs of air pressure on the lines.

I dont as i have 3 drains for the water lines and have never had an issue when stored after pulling the drains.
But it sounds like a sound idea to clear them out
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline DRobnsn

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2020, 11:20:35 AM »

I do, I just use a rubber tipped blow gun into my water feed quick connect. Open all the valves inside and hit it with a little air while having someone watch for all the water to push out of the outlets. Be conservative on the air when you start. 

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2020, 11:26:33 AM »
I use the compressed air too.  I fabricated some fittings to blow out all the water lines from the intakes and one to blow out the traps.  As drobsns said, start low on air pressure, maybe 25 PSI.  Don't go over 50. 
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline rtspring

• Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2020, 11:43:35 AM »
Many of you might as well hunt in a tent.  Ha ha.  My new trailer is awesome I like hot water for showers, cold water for coffee so and and so forth.  Prepare your camp the right way and let it get cold and snow all it wants!   

A little planning goes a long long ways!  Insulate everything, wrap your trailer bottom with a good tarp, throw a electric heater under there and you are golden.

1000’s of people must be wrong! And your right???   Come to just about any rv park on the eastside and see how it works.
Never said i was right, never said people don't do it, never said it wont work to keep things from freezing.
But i and im sure a few others (maybe not) would agree that running an electric space heater under a travel trailer with a tarp wrapped around it is not a very smart or safe idea  :twocents:

So you throw out the DARWIN AWARD just out of lack of knowledge?  Believe it or not their are many many people who know how to do stuff safely.  Typical HUNTWA response on your part.  Gain some knowledge it will take you farther than bashing.  I kinda know what I’m doing. 

So there are these places, that you can have your trailer fitted with a canvas skirt, all snap on to fit perfectly.  They cost a ton but are better than the cheap route of using a tarp.  Guess what they do next? Yep, they set a small office heater under the trailer in sub 32 temps to keep pipes from freezing...  now your smarter. 
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline Buckmark

• Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2020, 11:53:52 AM »

So you throw out the DARWIN AWARD just out of lack of knowledge?  Believe it or not their are many many people who know how to do stuff safely.  Typical HUNTWA response on your part.  Gain some knowledge it will take you farther than bashing.  I kinda know what I’m doing. 

So there are these places, that you can have your trailer fitted with a canvas skirt, all snap on to fit perfectly.  They cost a ton but are better than the cheap route of using a tarp.  Guess what they do next? Yep, they set a small office heater under the trailer in sub 32 temps to keep pipes from freezing...  now your smarter.
Got it, gain some knowledge, running a small indoor electric heater outside under a closed up travel trailer is dangerous
I am sure your local fire department would think its a great idea.
Like i said RT never said you are not doing it and or other people, but its still unsafe no matter what you say
Trailer skirts are for keeping the wind from whipping underneath and for retaining some heat.
Whatever RT, happy 2pt hunting

Offline Sandberm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2020, 12:00:57 PM »
P-traps?... :o...guess I forgot about those ...oh well, Ive had the tt for 10 years I think and have never had a cracked p-trap...

The only thing i might have done wrong with the compressed air method is use too much pressure. It might be because the tt is 25 years old now, but the plastic hand tighten nuts on the water lines going to faucets and toilet are a tad loose when I go to use it again after the winter. So i really paid attention to my psi this time i blew them out.  :dunno:

And heck, in the past when the plastic water lines freeze up, I just take a propane torch and apply a little heat. A little camp fire under the trailer works ok too. Build a little spruce bow wind break around the fire to keep the wind from blowing your basement fire out....

Offline DRobnsn

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2020, 12:13:19 PM »
I've been watching some videos on installing heat tape and heat pads on the lines and tanks. Seems like a fairly straight forward project for those of us without that factory option.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2020, 01:27:50 PM »
If you leave some heat on you will be fine.  Those pex type lines can hold up to freezeing, the outside shower is your weakness though. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]