collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho 2021 Cost Increase for Non Res  (Read 11913 times)

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Idaho 2021 Cost Increase for Non Res
« on: October 22, 2020, 11:10:40 AM »
It'll be fun to watch supply and demand in action.  In a typical year I bought an Idaho hunting license, an elk tag, and the archery AND muzzy endorsements.  Their cost increases are significant.  It likely means that I will not be buying an extra wolf, bear, deer or cougar tags as I sometimes dabble in.

Access fee: $10 (same)
License: $153 to $185
Elk Tag: $416 to $652
Archery Endorsement: $20 to $85
Muzzy Endorsement: $20 to 85
Deer Tag: $302 to $352

Death by 1000 cuts.  Not to mention their stupid 3% CC fee for online purchases.

2020 Cost: $10+153+416+20+20 = $619+$19 cc fee is $638 to hunt elk
2021 Cost: $10+185+652+85+85 = $1017+$30 cc fee is $1047 to hunt elk

This is a 65% increase YoY.  The extra $411 is the entire deer tag I might typically buy.  They think that non residents are price insensitive, I guess they'll find out.  Maybe they should've taken more econ classes but supply and demand always holds.

I can almost guarantee that tags will either not sell out or sell out more slowly and that some hunters will look to other states.  It might take a year for uninformed non resident hunters to grasp this change, but non resident hunters are NOT price insensitive as a group.

I love hunting elk every year, but for every one person like me, there's another person who does some math and thinks "At 10% average success rates, or even if I double that and do 20% and get an elk every 5 years, that same $5500 could buy me a pretty good sure-bet landowner tag somewhere and I could just do that every 5 years instead".  As much as we all say it doesn't matter, if you have 5 dry years in Idaho, it is going to be difficult to ignore that you paid over $5k for the privilege. 

BTW, not saying they're wrong to do it.  When you have quotas and tags sell out, then you should be raising prices to maximize your financial gain, thats just good business.  But they're about to see how far they can push it. 

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Idaho 2021 Cost Increase for Non Res
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 11:12:32 AM »
They'll still get a ton of WA residents to hunt.  :dunno:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 11:14:47 AM »
$231.75 for bear and $204.50 for lion now.  Up from $180 per.  Guess if a guy wants to do otc spring bear, it is what it is.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 12:10:14 PM by Bango skank »

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 11:19:00 AM »
Theyre O K with the revenue they collect as it is but want the same amount of money with less non res hunters.  Same money, less hunters.

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 11:24:07 AM »
I bet there is going to be a good amount of people who are unaware of the increases who go through the purchase process, get to the checkout part, see the total and go  :yike: "what the $#@%". That will be followed up with not buying at that point and then playing mental tennis if they should spend the extra cash and if they do, how they will hide it or explain it to their wife.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 11:24:41 AM »
When MT crossed the $1k mark for NR combo licenses there was a thought that there would be significant resistance and what actually happened was there was little to no resistance.  People want to hunt those places and are willing to pay for it.

There will be continued pressure on game departments as states have less money and we further transition to pay to play models where the game departments will eventually be completely self supported.  There are plusses and minuses to that system, but it's without doubt that is the path we have already begun.

Realistically, $1k for a week of entertainment that we look forward to all year isn't out of line from other things even before you factor in that you might come back with half that value in meat.  Go to seven Seahawks games and you will be at least comparable in price.  I think that is the calculation many people are making that buy these tags.  Save $20 a week and I can buy a tag to hunt ID, MT, WY, CO or wherever.

Not everyone can participate, but for those that have the resources, they will continue to pay what the state asks.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 11:31:15 AM »
When MT crossed the $1k mark for NR combo licenses there was a thought that there would be significant resistance and what actually happened was there was little to no resistance.  People want to hunt those places and are willing to pay for it.

There will be continued pressure on game departments as states have less money and we further transition to pay to play models where the game departments will eventually be completely self supported.  There are plusses and minuses to that system, but it's without doubt that is the path we have already begun.

Realistically, $1k for a week of entertainment that we look forward to all year isn't out of line from other things even before you factor in that you might come back with half that value in meat.  Go to seven Seahawks games and you will be at least comparable in price.  I think that is the calculation many people are making that buy these tags.  Save $20 a week and I can buy a tag to hunt ID, MT, WY, CO or wherever.

Not everyone can participate, but for those that have the resources, they will continue to pay what the state asks.
to add to this, ID is just aligning itself with other states price wise. Be mad at ID all you want but your CO elk tag is gonna run you basically the same but a far less quality experience.  The only garbage increases are the muzzy and archery stamps and the 640% increase in youth tags. Absolutely nonsense!
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 11:32:12 AM »

I think for a chunk of normal Idaho hunters, they use it as a "cheap" plan B depending on how things go in other states. Also use it as a filler hunt but the increased tag fee might make them second guess it a little if they are also hunting other states.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 11:35:24 AM »
Nr deer and elk will still sell out im sure.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 11:49:07 AM »

to add to this, ID is just aligning itself with other states price wise. Be mad at ID all you want but your CO elk tag is gonna run you basically the same but a far less quality experience.  The only garbage increases are the muzzy and archery stamps and the 640% increase in youth tags. Absolutely nonsense!

I agree with the youth tag increases for sure.  It's a predictable game, one state goes a little above the rest and then the next state sees that is working and makes the argument they are cheap and raising makes sense, so they jump a little above, rinse and repeat.

I understand the financial model and don't have a better idea but I would like to see an understanding that hunter recruitment is important and make significant efforts to make it as easy as realistically possible for new hunters, especially young ones.

I saw a similar thing in MT on their discount tags, when big price increases go through, there is yelling and screaming and "why is that person not paying as much?", so the discount gets cut or further restricted so everyone is equally upset.  Human nature is such that as long as everyone is getting kicked in the groin it doesn't feel as bad, you just don't want to see the guy over there not doubled over in pain when you are.

Offline Henrydog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 12:06:55 PM »
The one thing to remember is IDFG does not get money from the general state fund (like Wa).  Their budget it what they get from Sales and P&R act money only.

Online Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 12:25:45 PM »
Steep increase, wish my income would jump like that.

Offline Apples

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 01:21:45 PM »
No doubt in my mind they will sell out and fast!

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2020, 01:42:29 PM »
Theyre O K with the revenue they collect as it is but want the same amount of money with less non res hunters.  Same money, less hunters.
I havent seen any reduction in nonresident quotas. Just increase cost.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2020, 01:44:10 PM »
No doubt in my mind they will sell out and fast!
yep! Western hunting is as popular as ever. This year continued to prove that with record applicants and tag sales across every state and species. 

Took almost 8 months for deer tags to sell out. Anyone who didn't get one wasn't paying attention. I'll be first in line for mine like always.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal