collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mulling it over. Thoughts?  (Read 12729 times)

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: Mulling it over. Thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2020, 09:32:08 PM »
yeah mine are out of red rock drahthaar in utah.  Thats where the trials are centered around there and idaho it seems. Remember though any dog is a huge commitment so i personally want the best chance of getting a quality bird dog as i can get.  I believe i get that with these dogs.  Blood trailing big game or dead pheasants across an icy river.  My dog has done it.

Whar made you choose the Drahtaar over the more common wire hair?
Is there a big difference between the 2 or is a regional thing?

"The American Kennel Club requires that both parent dogs be purebred of the German Wirehaired breed. On the other hand, the Verein Deutsch-Drahthaar require the parents to have passed several tests in the program before being bred. If they do not pass those tests, that dog will not be used to carry on the standards of the breed. This is the largest and most measurable distinction between the two breeds."

If you go the GWP route and get good hunting lineage you could argue there is no difference.  I'd say go with whatever breeder you are happiest with.

:yeah:

Differentiation with out a difference.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Malitia T.

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2020, 09:09:07 PM »
If you're interested I have a batch of Labrador puppies, I have a few that are available. They are the leaner american labs. The sire is out of tiger mountain stock and the mom is a pointer and a real good upland and water dog. I got the mom because I was having the same concerns/thoughts about what dog to get. I've had GWP, Drahthaar, Brittanies and labs and like certain things about all of them. The last dog I had was a Lab/GSP cross and a great dog also

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2020, 09:11:32 PM »
If you're interested I have a batch of Labrador puppies, I have a few that are available. They are the leaner american labs. The sire is out of tiger mountain stock and the mom is a pointer and a real good upland and water dog. I got the mom because I was having the same concerns/thoughts about what dog to get. I've had GWP, Drahthaar, Brittanies and labs and like certain things about all of them. The last dog I had was a Lab/GSP cross and a great dog also

What didn't you like about the Drahthaar?

Offline Malitia T.

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2020, 09:20:35 PM »
As far as an upland dog theres not much to dislike. She couldn't resist a porcupine, 3 times on 1 weekend, and lots of quills each time. She wasn't really a super great family dog, she was nice but just business, but that could have just been her personality. I like to duck also and she wasn't a great retriever or water dog. She was given to us when she was about 5 and was fully trained and had been trained for upland. She was a great pointer

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2020, 09:34:16 PM »
yeah mine are out of red rock drahthaar in utah.  Thats where the trials are centered around there and idaho it seems. Remember though any dog is a huge commitment so i personally want the best chance of getting a quality bird dog as i can get.  I believe i get that with these dogs.  Blood trailing big game or dead pheasants across an icy river.  My dog has done it.

Whar made you choose the Drahtaar over the more common wire hair?
Is there a big difference between the 2 or is a regional thing?

"The American Kennel Club requires that both parent dogs be purebred of the German Wirehaired breed. On the other hand, the Verein Deutsch-Drahthaar require the parents to have passed several tests in the program before being bred. If they do not pass those tests, that dog will not be used to carry on the standards of the breed. This is the largest and most measurable distinction between the two breeds."

If you go the GWP route and get good hunting lineage you could argue there is no difference.  I'd say go with whatever breeder you are happiest with.

:yeah:

Differentiation with out a difference.

Strongly agree with this! As well as the lineage comments above. I’ve trained and paid for training  with Brittanies, followed plenty of other folks I’ve hunted with and or who who hunt tested, field trialed various breeds and I found all of them to hold blood lines as the most important criteria for choosing a breeder...of course, the right breeders also respect the animals and build the value of that line and individual dogs...

Labs are great family and bird dogs, so are GWP’s, (as well as lots of Brits, setters, some Vizlas, Weimers, Poodles, Pudlepointers).
Lots of cool choices...another thing to consider is what sort of potential are you and the dog facing for health issues? Lots of issues with the more popular breeds....why?   Well...unfortunately (sorry, you may already be aware of this), there’s money to be made in breeding popular dogs...and that overbreeding brings health issues.

My GF has a wire haired pointing griffon, lovely dog, but for crying out loud he has some issues! Several physical, as well as behavioral ( Not due to training/ conditioning as he grew up with my Brit, who’s  one of the chillest, loving dogs I’ve ever been around and I do most of the training.) But almost immediately after she got that dog from the breeder we started learning that they were a glorified puppy mill with good down home marketing...

To circle back: if I was considering one of the larger versatile breeds such as the GWP, i’d Seriously look into the  Verein Deutsch-Drahthaar.

Good luck!

“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline RGB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2020, 11:19:51 AM »
Anyone have any experience with Tiger Mountain Labs out of Ellensburg?

http://www.pointinglabs.com/pages/home

My last dog was from this kennel. He was one of the best dogs I have ever had. I'm running a Brittany now that replaced the lab.

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2021, 10:01:09 PM »
Bought a Drahthaar. Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I plan to most of the training my self.

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2021, 10:27:20 PM »
Best of luck on your training! Always fun to see them coming along and responding.
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10