collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: F150 Headlights  (Read 6235 times)

Offline Mossy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
F150 Headlights
« on: November 08, 2020, 09:25:20 PM »
Any suggestions to replace the stock halogens on my 2017 without blinding other drivers?  Last 2 trucks had factory HID’s and they are well missed.

I’m also looking at replacing the lights on my wife’s Ford Flex.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: F150 Headlights
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 07:52:37 AM »
I put Sylvania Silver stars in my 14 Exploder and it was an improvement. Not a massive improvement but they're better.
 :dunno:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Pnwrider

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 07:58:07 AM »
It’s probably pricey but can you swap to the factory LED headlights? IMO that was one of the best features on the 2018 F150 I had. They were so bright, Ford had a recall to dim them.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 07:58:23 AM »

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 08:09:46 AM »
These are incredible:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FMLG7QJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You also need this to go over them:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0722GS9PL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put them on my 2016, I think it's the same.

Just a noticeable difference in brightness all together or only for high beams? I have a 2015 F-150 and it's stock all the way around for the most part. I did put a leveling kit on it and since then people always flash me as if my brights are on. I think i need to adjust my beam. Anyway, curios about these and if they are really that much better than the stock lights???

CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 08:13:49 AM »
They are only low beams.  Very bright white light, much easier to see and much brighter overall.  They cast light further and wider than my stock lights.

I did adjust them down a bit as I a few people were flashing their brights at me. 

It's amazing the difference.  I don't have any other LED experience to compare them too, I just browsed around on YouTube and found a couple places that do comparisons and reviews and bought the ones that tested well and were affordable.

Offline Mossy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 09:08:53 AM »
These are incredible:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FMLG7QJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0722GS9PL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just a noticeable difference in brightness all together or only for high beams? I have a 2015 F-150 and it's stock all the way around for the most part. I did put a leveling kit on it and since then people always flash me as if my brights are on. I think i need to adjust my beam. Anyway, curios about these and if they are really that much better than the stock lights???

Adjusting lights after a leveling kit was a must on my previous F150 with HID’s but not necessary on the Silverado I had for a bit. Very simple to do  :tup:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 09:14:52 AM »
Yeah, adjusting them was easy.  Putting them in wasn't as easy as I hoped however.  It wasn't as bad as my wife's old Honda where you had to remove a tire, but you do have to pull a significant part of the front off to get to them.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 11:06:07 AM »
It’s probably pricey but can you swap to the factory LED headlights? IMO that was one of the best features on the 2018 F150 I had. They were so bright, Ford had a recall to dim them.

So that isn’t really accurate. The recall was because the daytime running lights stayed on with the low beam headlights turned on manually. Doesn’t happen with the headlights in the auto position and it’s not because the headlight bulbs are too bright.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Mossy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 07:43:27 PM »
These are incredible:

Thanks. How long have you had them?  Briefly checked reviews and some had issues with longevity

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 07:56:40 PM »
Yeah, I was worried about that as well.  Back in the day I swapped out my factory beams for HID and they burned out at within a year and I was told to expect that, kind of hard to swallow for $100 beams every year.

I put the LEDs in about Christmas last year and haven't had any problems.  We'll see how they last but I will say it's like a different thing, WAY brighter and they make old lamps look like a pale yellow.  Way better than the HIDs I put in my last truck.  The regular beams are about as bright as hi beams but the hi beams have a touch more throw to the outside.

They have a fan on them so hopefully that helps with life.  When I shut the truck down I can hear them run for a couple seconds so I am hopeful they will last.  I did a fair bit of research and we'll see what happens.

Honestly, for $60, I would buy a set every year to get the performance difference.  The bigger issue is pulling the front end off to get them in, I'm a bit of a sledge hammer guy so I have to be a bit careful it goes back together.  It isn't a huge deal, you just have to be aware most of the stuff is plastic and there is a right and wrong way to do it.  Plenty of YouTubes out there to guide the way.

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 09:14:10 AM »
Yeah, I was worried about that as well.  Back in the day I swapped out my factory beams for HID and they burned out at within a year and I was told to expect that, kind of hard to swallow for $100 beams every year.

I put the LEDs in about Christmas last year and haven't had any problems.  We'll see how they last but I will say it's like a different thing, WAY brighter and they make old lamps look like a pale yellow.  Way better than the HIDs I put in my last truck.  The regular beams are about as bright as hi beams but the hi beams have a touch more throw to the outside.

They have a fan on them so hopefully that helps with life.  When I shut the truck down I can hear them run for a couple seconds so I am hopeful they will last.  I did a fair bit of research and we'll see what happens.

Honestly, for $60, I would buy a set every year to get the performance difference.  The bigger issue is pulling the front end off to get them in, I'm a bit of a sledge hammer guy so I have to be a bit careful it goes back together.  It isn't a huge deal, you just have to be aware most of the stuff is plastic and there is a right and wrong way to do it.  Plenty of YouTubes out there to guide the way.

Did you try this method first?
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2020, 09:19:37 AM »
Yeah, I tried but it's pretty hard getting in there with a new boot and getting it sealed over the opening perfect.

I'm used to just reaching down from up above and replacing both bulbs in 25 seconds.

Online hookr88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2020, 05:13:24 PM »
Have you looked at F150LED.com? I’m getting ready to upgrade to their high/low LED set for my 2016

Offline Firing Pin

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2020, 06:09:21 PM »
Go check out Headlight Revolution.  Google them, I installed/upgraded my 2015 GMC 2500HD and am so hapy with the results.  I did my fog lights and the headlights, an incredible difference.
Live today like it's your last!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:56:45 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter