collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: My dad's big bull  (Read 8845 times)

Offline 724wd

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
My dad's big bull
« on: November 10, 2020, 03:59:41 PM »
The night before the quality elk season opener, my dad and I went to meet one of the two fellas that have the main access to the land we got permission to hunt. He met us at the field where the elk cross and when we arrived, there were bulls in the field. BIG ones. A short discussion followed reiterating that the elk were constant and not pressured in any way, so take our time choosing the one dad wanted. We headed home confident that the next morning would be a good one!

Some backstory is due, I suppose… In June, when the special hunt draw results were released, I checked my account and saw the familiar “Not Selected” for all categories. I then checked my dad’s results and discovered an anomaly. The webpage said he’d drawn a quality elk tag! WHAT?! That can’t be right… AND it was for our home unit of XXX! HOLY STUFF! I was so excited but didn’t want to let the cat out of the bag, so I casually called the old man to let him know to check his results. He told me to do it, but I played as if I couldn’t access his account. While there was no whooping and hollering when he saw the good news, I could tell he was happy, though he expressed some doubt to his ability to hunt as his left knee needs to be replaced. No cartilage left and a bone spur make walking up or down hills difficult for him. He turned 77 in 2020.

My dad has shot several elk in his long hunting career, but never killed a BIG bull. They’ve all been cows, spikes, or rag horns. This would be his year, and I was determined to make that happen! The prime piece of land to hunt belongs to a neighbor and my dad watches elk in her field virtually every day. But she also doesn’t allow much hunting beyond two gentlemen that I’ve run into before when I got permission to hunt a cow on her place. But the old man prevailed and secured access for her land, along with several other parcels from other neighbors. It’s good to have good neighbors in a unit with very little public land (even the hunting regs say to not apply for tags in the unit if you don’t have access to land!)

Offline 724wd

• Frontiersman
Re: My dad's big bull
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 04:07:35 PM »
Opening morning was COLD. As we pulled along the field edge, 3 BIG bull elk were caught in the headlights 100 yards away. With half an hour until shooting light, we skirted the seeded field to the blind setup the cowboys use. Two plastic chairs, a Buddy heater with 5 gallon tank, a patio umbrella in case of rain, and a tripod with a gun cradle attached awaited us. The heater didn’t want to light, and my repeated attempts to ignite the pilot light sounded like gun shots every time the piezo ignitor fired. Once lit, it provided a warm orange glow, but little heat. Bulls were in the field and crossing in front of us with some time yet before shooting light. Each new elk would skyline themselves moving from one piece of property to the other, and we could hunt both. It was amazing to witness them so nonchalantly strolling over the hill. Our binoculars worked well before light, allowing us to evaluate them as they crossed.

200 yards before us, several bull elk trekked across the field. As 7:05 shooting light arrived, the parade continued. We watched and evaluated 13 6x6 and larger bulls looking for one of the two near 400” bulls or the 8x9 we had seen the previous evening. 10 minutes after legal light, the parade ended. The elk we saw clearly in legal shooting light were not the ones we were after. By 7:30 we headed home sure some of the elk that crossed in the dark were the “big boys.”

That first night we walked down to the upper field edge from XXX, hoping for a repeat performance from the evening before when the bulls emerged in the upper field. We sat and watched deer and 3 tom turkeys, but no elk showed. The walk up the hill was rough on the old man. His knee was starting to swell and get very uncomfortable.

Offline 724wd

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 04:10:01 PM »
Day 2 found us in the blind half an hour earlier than the day before, hoping the big boys would feel less nervous and stay in the field until shooting time. Some cows and calves were way up at the top edge of the field accompanied by a rag horn and a spike. 2 bigger bulls showed, but 5 minutes to shooting time they hit the trees, one of them bugling his head off once he saw the cows. He must have piped off 15-20 times as they headed to bed. LOVE that sound! But the hunt continued.

Tuesday night we sat in the truck at the field edge with the heater running. Once the sun went down and shooting light evaporated, we headed into town for family dinner night. Every Tuesday my family gets together, so we happily attended while sharing all about the hunt so far. With full bellies and high hopes, we went to bed knowing Wednesday would be our day!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 04:15:31 PM by 724wd »

Offline 724wd

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 04:10:22 PM »
Wednesday brought slightly warmer weather and we didn’t mess with the Buddy heater. The bulls started their parade about 20 minutes before shooting light and we just needed them to hang around a while longer. Two young 6x6 bulls came streaking across the upper field, noses to the ground at a full run, only to stop and lock horns for few minutes before turning and continuing on their way at full speed, noses still in the dirt. Surely a hot cow was nearby. 3 REALLY big bulls were still in the field with 4 minutes to go. A car came around XXX and stopped to watch them. NOOOOOO!!!!! They got nervous and turned, walking away. As the minutes ticked SLOWLY by, dad was on the gun waiting for the “OK” from me on time. With 1 minute to go, they crested the small hill in the field and were out of view. The FRUSTRATION was intense! We discussed walking through the field in their direction but his knee wouldn’t have done well in the uneven ground. He then said the dot was fuzzy in the scope and he couldn’t get a sure shot. As we talked, two young 6x6 bulls came over the hill from where they overnight. Too small. Then a third, a heavy, wide 6x6, but his 3rds were only about 6” and WAY up by his swords. Funny looking animal and not what dad wanted. They followed their brothers to the trees, only to pop out 270 yards away 10 minutes later. We looked at that funny 6x6 for quite a while, dad getting back on the gun trying to adjust the focus to get it to work with his eyes. He hadn’t shot that gun since lasik and it wasn’t good. I’d killed two elk with it, so we were confident in the rifle, but the scope was too far out for him. The elk drifted into the timber for bed. 13 bulls had crossed the field again.

As we exited the field near the pickup, frustrated at the unfortunate timing of the car that spooked the elk and the janky scope, the inevitable happened. Dad’s knee buckled on the uneven ground and he fell… on the rifle. I was JUST out of reach with hands full of seat cushions and his glasses he’d dropped. Nothing was said as he regained his feet, but we knew there was now a heavy question about how that rifle would shoot.

After breakfast, we loaded the 4wheelers with a Lead Sled, shooting table, target, ear muffs, and Pepsi, we headed up the hill behind his house to shoot the rifle. 100 yards, I took the first shot. 4” high and 6” left. Second shot was 3” high, still left. We moved the scope. 3” high, 1” right. He shot the next 3 shots as we moved the scope back, the final 2 landing 3” high with perfect windage. And the crosshairs got adjusted to fit his “new” eyes. We skipped an evening hunt as they hadn’t proven productive and he didn’t want to be out in the field at midnight with a dead elk, but THURSDAY would be the day! It HAD to be! Splitting some wood with the neighbors and drinks and dinner around a campfire capped the day.

Offline 724wd

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 04:14:03 PM »
Thursday morning. Warm. The moon was set to be full on Saturday and there’d been no cloud cover all week. It was BRIGHT every morning, making it easy to see the elk in the field before shooting light. Today… no elk. 4 days with as many as 27 bull elk in the vicinity, two pushing 400”, an 8x9, two bulls with a club antler (one which we’d seen Wednesday - goofy animal!). Passing the elk on opening morning was weighing heavy on both our minds. Huge antlers weren’t a necessity, but the elk had to “look” right. Symmetrical, long tines, good mass. As we sat 5 minutes to shooting time, 2 bulls skyline themselves. A young 6x6 and the bull we’d passed on the day before. The smaller bull was pretty, but smaller body and 300” antlers.

Then another set of antlers appeared. As the bull crested the hill, dad whispered “That’s a shooter.”

Offline scotsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 04:34:35 PM »
Ah, ‘cmon don't do this to us! The suspense!

Offline hunt6226

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: nra, sci
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 04:41:33 PM »
 :drool: :drool:
Cmon Man....

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 04:42:30 PM »
Ah, ‘cmon don't do this to us! The suspense!
:yeah: I have banned people for less.  :chuckle:
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 04:48:03 PM »
 :ban:

Offline 724wd

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 05:15:27 PM »
Sorry, I was driving home...

where was I?  Oh yeah...

“Yes. You can shoot that one. Two minutes to shooting time.” I whispered back.

I feel I should mention that “whispering” in my old man’s world would be normal speech to the rest of the world. If you want him to hear you, you usually need to speak LOUDLY. A lifetime of working around noisy air tools will do that to you, I guess. Thankfully these elk don’t seem to mind.

Offline 724wd

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 05:16:31 PM »
The elk fed slowly across the field at 230 yards. Dad glanced at me and I gave him the thumbs up tapping my watch. He settled in behind the gun. I had put in ear plugs once he’d grabbed the rifle and I watched through binoculars as the elk strolled across the field. The shot startled me as the bigger bull was still walking just prior, though he was broadside. The 180 grain Nosler Accubond .300 RUM bullet sounded like a cruise missile streaking across the field. I heard the WHAP! I lost the sight picture through the binos but quickly re-acquired the elk. But there was only two of them. Still slowly walking broadside. Then I saw a downed elk! The smaller 6x6 stopped and turned to his companion about 10 yards away. He stared as the down bull moved his head, but couldn’t regain his feet.

Confident the elk was down for good, dad and I gathered our things and made our way to the pickup to drive farther up the road to put us even with the elk before heading into the field. The small bull stood with his downed friend until the engine started. Still unhurried, he and the goofy 6x6 gained the shelter of the brush. I knew the bull was down for good, but had seen him toss his head as we headed into the seeded wheat field. Dad left the rifle in the truck and as we approached the bull, took my 1911 .45 and ended the discomfort of the magnificent animal before us. Bittersweet. Success but sadness.

“Poor old guy.” I heard the old man say.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 08:19:38 AM by 724wd »

Offline 724wd

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 05:17:31 PM »
Pictures!

Offline 724wd

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 05:19:37 PM »
MORE pictures!

Offline 724wd

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 05:20:59 PM »
This bull had not ONE SCRAP of fat ANYWHERE! He must have been running his tail off during the rut!

Offline 724wd

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 05:22:48 PM »
I shared that sentiment that it's a shame to see him lying there. Killing is the absolute worst part of hunting, but you can’t eat them if you don’t kill them. We said our thanks to the bull, dad notched his tag and we took a couple of photos. I knew the bull was 7 on one side while glassing him and was confident there was a small 7th on the opposite side. I was right, but hadn’t noticed the broken eye guard. No matter, the bull was gorgeous with mass, length, 7x7 and a MASSIVE body. Our initial efforts to maneuver the bull proved difficult so I called dad’s neighbor for help. He was happy to get the call and dad went to get him, leaving me with the elk to begin the gutting process. I took more photos and did as much cutting as I could alone while dad retrieved the capstan winch and Sam, the neighbor. The goofy 6x6 we’d passed showed on the opposite hillside 300 yards away and stood for 10 minutes until the sun illuminated the hillside and he too faded into the trees.

After the winch failed to no oil in the fuel, the 4wheeler was used to drag the bull to the road, down the embankment and we used a come along to get him loaded on the 4wheeler trailer. It wasn’t a 20 mile backcountry hunt, with every piece of meat carried on our backs, but it WAS the perfect old man hunt! Dad doesn’t figure he’ll get out elk hunting anymore, and even deer hunting has gotten difficult with his body not cooperating. I intend to be with him every time he goes out from now until he hangs it up. He has given me so much knowledge and ignited my fire for hunting, I will do anything to keep him out there as long as he wants to be there.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 05:31:33 PM by 724wd »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand