collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Meat grade reminder  (Read 6648 times)

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Re: Meat grade reminder
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2020, 09:27:36 AM »
Costco uses meat tenderizer on a lot of their cuts. I know they do on the caps. I buy brisket there but not steaks.

Please clarify. They us "meat tenderizer" or "a meat tenderizer"?
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2020, 09:35:28 AM »
Yes, I have tried the ribeye caps.  Those are unreal.  I also unroll them and cook them on the BGE super, super hot. 
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Whitpirate

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2020, 06:10:52 AM »
Costco blade tenderizes every cut in the case...wish they wouldn’t do it to the prime... that said I’ve bought them too.

Offline Caseyd

• Site Sponsor
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2020, 04:51:45 PM »
Blade not powder.

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2020, 06:07:11 PM »
Are the ribeye caps you speak of, sold separately at Costco? My wife just eats the eye so I get a cap for my next day’s lunch.

Yep. That fatty, amazing outside strip. Possibly the best piece of the cow. They pinwheel them and tie them into steaks. I recommend uncoiling them and putting the strips on skewers, and a minute on a wicked hot grill. God it's good.

Oh, and your wife is crazy! But you're the beneficiary! :chuckle:
Ribeye caps are among the most underrated cut on the cow without question. Also a big fan of the picanha--the top sirloin cap.

Those are called the coulotte steak.. I was in the meat industry for 35 years and we were selling "coulotte steaks" back in the '70's. We cut all the steaks for the Keg & Butcher Baker Candlestick Maker Restaurants and they wanted center cut only. I bought 20,000 pounds of whole choice top sirloin a week. So, we had all the caps left over and marketed them as coulotte steaks. Pretty good steaks...they plump when you cook them.

And yes, Prime Rib is a cut...not a USDA grade. There are or used to be quite a few grades...Standard ( mostly dairy cows that were boned and ground for burger-- USDA Good -- No roll, a non- grade . the packers would have the federal meat inspector not roll the beef with a grade stamp--it was not quite marbled enough for a choice but better than a Good. That way they got more money for a "no Roll" than to roll it with the Good grade.-- USDA Choice -- and USDA Prime. I would put a Prime grade NY strip on the shelf in the cooler and leave it for 45 days before cutting it. Can't describe how fantastic that was..I was really spoiled.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 06:20:25 PM by buckcanyonlodge »
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal